Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    More and more I am thinking VZW might release Pre3 this summer or fall. And thus might skip 2.1 for Pre2 as cost wise, it may not be worth it for them to quality check it for the number of users.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    More and more I am thinking VZW might release Pre3 this summer or fall. And thus might skip 2.1 for Pre2 as cost wise, it may not be worth it for them to quality check it for the number of users.
    I'd be curious to hear the number of Pre 2s VZW has sold so far. Can't be that many.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I can't imagine that the cost would be that much. They will release 2.1 i mean why wouldn't they .. they have released every other update that was released to them. there are always people that say they won't at every update but really come on .. this is what verizon does .. for every OS .. the only one we can't compare is IOS and i guess time will tell on that one. they aren't quick to release android or blackberry updates either. oh well -- it will happen
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    did verizon release 1.4.5 yet?

oh wait...
    Quote Originally Posted by keeb119 View Post
    When do you think we, verizon users, will get 2.1? Im hoping very soon. At least through a meta. What say you?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I cobbled together a meta-doctor based on the Verizon PrePlus 2.1 script.

Works great. Left the makefile the way it was and just modded the script (attached). Mine's got a Sprint radio board in it, but it should work just fine on a stock VZW Pre2.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by andidendel View Post

Works great. Left the makefile the way it was and just modded the script (attached). Mine's got a Sprint radio board in it, but it should work just fine on a stock VZW Pre2.
    Has anyone else tried this successfully on a stock Verizon Pre2 as suggested above? Are there any downsides (other than the bugs in 2.1 that aren't in 2.0.1) to using the metadoctor to circumvent the fact that Verizon hasn't released the update? Does this impact your service in any way?

I realize that many say the update from 2.0.1 -> 2.1 isn't worth the effort and additional glitches, but there's just something about feeling trapped by Verizon that makes me want to try it anyway. =)
    Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

If you like electronic music... check me out:
    http://www.xenocmusic.com (needs updates ...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Personally I would give up Exhibition mode & Voice Dial, which by the way is totally crap, and all the other extra funtionality of webOS 2.x in return for the stability of webOS 1.4.5.

My buddy with a PrePlus (Sprint FrankenPre) running 2.1 loves Voice Dial. What did you dislike that makes you label it "crap"?
    Quote Originally Posted by mwr0707 View Post
    2.0.1 is pretty buggy:

Pop3 email
    Browser bookmarks
    Phone restarts
    Intermittent temporary UI freezes
    Calendar all-day-event issues

The pop3 email bug is a major problem for me.
    FWIW, I set up a gmail account that pulls a copy of my POP3 email account. I sync that to my phone, and if I can't open the message in the POP3 inbox, there is always a second copy that I can open from Gmail. Stupid that I had to work around that bug... but it has been better than nothing. If I hadn't been able to find a workaround, I may have had to go back to my Pre+.

It's one of the fixes I'm "expecting" in the next release on VZW, and I'll be really peeved if it isn't fixed.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    VZW is prolly not releasing 2.1 and instead will wait and release the same version that will hit on the Pre 3. Just my guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    VZW is prolly not releasing 2.1 and instead will wait and release the same version that will hit on the Pre 3. Just my guess.
    I could see that happening.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    Nah, VZ will release 2.1 for the Pre 2 in June when the Veer is released so VZ will have something to announce since they won't have the Veer ...
    So, is it worth updating to 2.1 for the Pre2 via Doctor? Anyone done this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    My buddy with a PrePlus (Sprint FrankenPre) running 2.1 loves Voice Dial. What did you dislike that makes you label it "crap"?
    You know, I barely use it. I could see using it more if I had a BT, but I don't. I found some numbers are just hard to figure out. It would be better if you could train it like the old skool feature phones. I find saying my girlfriends first and last name a little odd when I finally figured it out, a month later.

I kept trying to say "Call Cathy"....phone says "Calling Todd King"...drove me nuts and I forgot about it, until the one day the epiphany hit me
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    You know, I barely use it. I could see using it more if I had a BT, but I don't. I found some numbers are just hard to figure out. It would be better if you could train it like the old skool feature phones. I find saying my girlfriends first and last name a little odd when I finally figured it out, a month later.

I kept trying to say "Call Cathy"....phone says "Calling Todd King"...drove me nuts and I forgot about it, until the one day the epiphany hit me
    LOL - you could just change her entry to "Cathy" without a last name.
    Quote Originally Posted by andidendel View Post

Has anyone done this with their Verizon Pre 2? I might consider it, just for the pop email issue. Not really impressed with the voice dialing or exhibition stuff.
    All the bugs your all mentioning are still on 2.1. I have a Verizon Franken Pre 2 with 2.1 and they are ALL there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    All the bugs your all mentioning are still on 2.1. I have a Verizon Franken Pre 2 with 2.1 and they are ALL there.
    2.1 on my Vzw Pre+ doesn't have the problem with the pop emails of the black box showing up. I can see the whole email on 2.1.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Looks like I will be getting my 4th Verizon Pre+ replacement next week. The power button is almost non functional. So here is a thought I am having. I would like to try the meta-doctor file I created weeks ago to upgrade to 2.1. If I did this on my phone with the failing power button, could it have any effect on my Palm profile and transfer of information and programs to the new phone when it arrives. Also, would that be a good time to meta-doctor the new phone before it is activated?
    Thanks for the help.
    I would wait for the new phone, activate it with 1.4.5 then meta it to 2.1. Your going to have to setup everything when you meta so you might as well only do it once.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply. I guess the only reason I was thinking of trying it on the phone that will be replaced is because I have been reluctant to do it on my only phone. Figured if it worked ok on the phone that is being returned, I could then activate the new phone with 1.4.5 and then use the same meta-doctor on the new phone before I resorted my backups.

Thanks again for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    I would wait for the new phone, activate it with 1.4.5 then meta it to 2.1. Your going to have to setup everything when you meta so you might as well only do it once.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast