Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I just OTA'd to webOS 2.1 on my Sprint Pre 2, and I noticed that there no longer seems to be hardware acceleration throughout the apps.

For example, the email client no longer spins the "loading" symbol (top right) quickly, and it's back to its original choppy 5fps animation.

Scrolling list performance is also worse than on 2.0.1, and the web browser doesn't feel as fluid when you flick up/down.

Anyone else notice these issues going from 2.0.1 -> 2.1 on your Pre 2?
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    could be the use of an OTA update on a meta-dr'd device that technical doesn't exist
    I have a Sprint Pre 2 as well, I didn't do the OTA update yet. I was waiting to see if there were any issues such as this. I hope this isn't the case for everyone, but if it is, I guess I'll stay at 2.0.1 . I would have liked voice dialing & exhibition, but I really do love the speed & fluidity of the hardware acceleration.
    everything is fine on my end

only issue I have and it was with 2.0.1 was my facebook app sometimes doesn't load when I'm on 3g but does perfectly when on wifi
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    everything is fine on my end

only issue I have and it was with 2.0.1 was my facebook app sometimes doesn't load when I'm on 3g but does perfectly when on wifi
    You can confirm that your loading symbol in the email app spins very fast on 2.1 with your Pre 2?
    Developer of:

Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    You can confirm that your loading symbol in the email app spins very fast on 2.1 with your Pre 2?
    no it spins back to the way it used to be
    but i don't get how that makes a difference.. I don't really care if it spins like it's on roids
  7.    #7  
    Heh, thanks for the clarification. The very slow spinning indicates we lost hardware acceleration with webOS 2.1. While the little loading symbol isn't a big deal, decreased scrolling list performance and overall less fluidity of the device is.
    Developer of:

Heh, thanks for the clarification. The very slow spinning indicates we lost hardware acceleration with webOS 2.1. While the little loading symbol isn't a big deal, decreased scrolling list performance and overall less fluidity of the device is.
    hmm strange cause I don't notice any decreased scrolling or the overall fluidity of the device

in fact i love how much smoother and spot on it is over 1.4.5 on the original pre, i end up opening the launcher just so i can play with it lol

any specific examples you can give.. maybe i can help report findings?

So if this is true, why would HP take out hardware acceleration? Perhaps they are re-doing it all in enyo and will release it in 2.2? Is there any indication that enyo is built into this 2.1 release?

edit: keep in mind, I've got a Rogers Pre 2
  9.    #9  
    hmm strange cause I don't notice any decreased scrolling or the overall fluidity of the device

in fact i love how much smoother and spot on it is over 1.4.5 on the original pre, i end up opening the launcher just so i can play with it lol

any specific examples you can give.. maybe i can help report findings?

So if this is true, why would HP take out hardware acceleration? Perhaps they are re-doing it all in enyo and will release it in 2.2? Is there any indication that enyo is built into this 2.1 release?

edit: keep in mind, I've got a Rogers Pre 2
    The launcher scrolling performance should remain identical. It is coded in a different way than the built in apps and any 3rd party apps. When I refer to decreased scrolling performance, it's everywhere but the launcher... (i.e. email, calendar, app catalog, web browser, etc).
    Developer of:

The launcher scrolling performance should remain identical. It is coded in a different way than the built in apps and any 3rd party apps. When I refer to decreased scrolling performance, it's everywhere but the launcher... (i.e. email, calendar, app catalog, web browser, etc).
    Yup. After my last post, i went on a little tour de webos 2.1.. and I can relate to what you're saying.

It has that added millisecond to register that you're moving, whereas on the launcher it's buttery smooth

I noticed it in email, web browser, its not too bad in messaging thou
    Yup. After my last post, i went on a little tour de webos 2.1.. and I can relate to what you're saying.

It has that added millisecond to register that you're moving, whereas on the launcher it's buttery smooth

I noticed it in email, web browser, its not too bad in messaging thou
    That sucks, maybe it has to do with what this guy said earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by ksfireman82 View Post
    could be the use of an OTA update on a meta-dr'd device that technical doesn't exist
    Since technically a Sprint Pre 2 doesn't exist, maybe it needs a meta doctor in order for it to run 2.1 without the minor slow down.
  12.    #12  
    I don't think so. I ran the original (stock) WR 2.0.1 doctor for my Sprint Pre 2 (I already upgraded my Pre- to 2.1, which already upgraded my firmware for my modem). So my Sprint Pre 2 had a stock doctor on it.
    Developer of:

Unlocked Pre 2 here on AT&T. Definitely seeing the slower email loading spinner, but not noticing any slower scrolling in apps or any overall loss of fluidity since updating from 2.0.1 to 2.1.
    Just finished 2.1 update on unlocked Pre2- scrolling is smooth and fast- boot and app loading are substantially quicker and browser is more reactive. So far everything has been positive!
    ...and yes the wheel spins slower on synching email- BUT the duration is way less-
    Really, is the little wheel scrolling slower for the email app reason to look at another OS?

Nothing has gotten worse for me in the update. Nothing. And that's an update on a Sprint Pre 2.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    So I just OTA'd to webOS 2.1 on my Sprint Pre 2, and I noticed that there no longer seems to be hardware acceleration throughout the apps.

For example, the email client no longer spins the "loading" symbol (top right) quickly, and it's back to its original choppy 5fps animation.

Scrolling list performance is also worse than on 2.0.1, and the web browser doesn't feel as fluid when you flick up/down.

Anyone else notice these issues going from 2.0.1 -> 2.1 on your Pre 2?
    Yes, I noticed the slow down and slugishness immediately after starting up with webOS 2.1.0. This update is just another step backwards for HP/Pre/webOS. It is becoming quite clear as time passes, that the original team responsible for the webOS is now no longer with HP/Palm and only a bunch of nincompoops are left at HP/Palm, who seem to simply make things worse the more they try to fix them.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Really, is the little wheel scrolling slower for the email app reason to look at another OS?

Nothing has gotten worse for me in the update. Nothing. And that's an update on a Sprint Pre 2.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

I do like the fast wheel scrolling, it coincides well with how much faster my emails load now. However, it's definitely not a reason to look at another OS, at least not for me.

It seems like there aren't any performance issues for most, only the slower wheel scrolling. If that's the only drawback, I think I may just go ahead and OTA update my Sprint Pre 2.

Would the OP be able to post a poll in this thread to see how many people are having performance issues vs those that aren't?
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    There is no noticeable change in speed on my Pre2 with OTA 2.1
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyK View Post
    Just finished 2.1 update on unlocked Pre2- scrolling is smooth and fast- boot and app loading are substantially quicker
    What exactly do you consider as "fast" for booting? My Pre 2 which used to take approx. 05:30 minutes to reboot, now takes an even longer 06:00 minutes for a full reboot. Compare that to 03:30 minutes on my Pre+ with webOS 1.4.5 and the downward slide of HP with webOS becomes quite clear.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast