Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Android to Pre Noob Question #1

With Android, I can create one-touch dialing shortcuts, and one-touch SMS short cuts, on the home screen.

Now, I know we can't put short cuts on the screen with Pre, but is there a way to make one-touch short cuts in a Launcher Page?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mjschmidt View Post

With Android, I can create one-touch dialing shortcuts, and one-touch SMS short cuts, on the home screen.

Now, I know we can't put short cuts on the screen with Pre, but is there a way to make one-touch short cuts in a Launcher Page?

Thanks!
    Yes and no. You can add contacts to the launcher pages but it is a shortcut that brings up their contact card and from there you can touch a phone number or sms button. It's 'two steps but pretty easy. (You can also add webpages to the laucher as well.)

There are a couple of apps in the catalog that do put "one touch" shortcuts in the launcher though and they seem to have good reviews. Search "contacts" or "launcher" in the catalog to find them.

Thanks!
    Thank god you switched from android! I hated android... But anyways quick search is very beneficial. Just start typing your contacts first letter of their name and it will pop up. One touch dialer is a nifty app as well, kind of same idea as a one touch dial.
  4.    #4  
    @Cobrakon: Thanks, I'll take a look, but technically, it would be 3 clicks, not 2. ;-) Swipe up to open launcher, press contact short-cut, press phone number entry. That's assuming it brings up the correct launcher page in the first place. :-)

@barry: Don't want to mislead you, Barry, i am NOT switching from Android to Pre, I was sent a Pre 2 by HP (and Rogers Wireless) to write a review, and because I am considering it as a device for my wife (she wants a keyboard, doesn't like Blackberry, and Rogers doesn't have much selection in Android devices with keyboards).

I am not going to get into an iPhone-style "Android vs Pre" argument, because hey never convince anyone. What I will say it, the Pre 2 is a beautiful device! The hardware is awesome. The WebOS UI is also incredible. Very slick! I love it.

My problem is the lack of apps compared to Android, and if it changes, then so might I.

Now, I don't want this thread to devolve into a comparison of Android vs Pre, just wanted to clarify, however you can see this thread where we are discussing Android vs Pre as far as the availability of FREE apps.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...droid-pre.html
    Any of the letters on your physical keyboard can be set to speed dial a contact. Any of the speed dial letters that have a number on them will dial with one touch press and hold in the phone app. E (1) is reserved for voicemail.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    Understandable. I thought apps were important. Until I got sick of looking at the crap that was being released on android( I.E. P0rn apps were released daily)
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Search the app catalog for Launchpoint. It does what you are asking. It's $.99 and one of my favorite apps since I use it many times daily.
    yea but launchpoint doesnt work with 2.x, I think Im leaving WebOS because I need a quick dialer and android just keeps steamrolling along with apps and API's, something that HP doesnt care about it seems.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by slydog43 View Post
    yea but launchpoint doesnt work with 2.x, I think Im leaving WebOS because I need a quick dialer and android just keeps steamrolling along with apps and API's, something that HP doesnt care about it seems.
    Well, I'd disagree... HP is launching the Pre 3, Veer, and the Touchpad! They can't hope to compete if they don't support app development.

From what I've been reading, the switch to the new app base, I believe it's called "Enyo"?, means devs have to sort-of "start all over". Hopefully this new app base, and the launch of the TouchPad means more app development.

Really, if there were the range of free apps available to WebOS as in Android, I'd be very interested in switching.
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1685 View Post
    ( i.e. P0rn apps were released daily)
    holy crap!

Jumping ship NOW!
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 03/03/2011 at 01:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    holy crap!

Jumping ship NOW!
    Lol! DOn't jump ship, Just get a girlfriend
  12.    #12  
    Okay, Noob question #2: SMS

How do I delete SMS messages/conversations in WebOS 2.0?

On Android, I can long-press on a message, or even on a whole conversation, and choose Delete.

Thanks!
    #1: i think someone mentioned it already, but you can assign a contact to a physical keyboard. you just press and hold that key. it's not exactly 1-click but it accomplishes the same thing.

#2: the convention for deleting things in webOS is a horizontal swipe. that deletes an email, a txt message, a browser bookmark, etc. one thing to keep in mind is that there's a bit of inconsistency when it comes to this behavior. in some instances you'll be presented with a set of buttons (delete and cancel) and in others it just deletes (like email) the item when you swipe horizontally. so, test it out on something unimportant first.

and welcome to webOS.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slydog43 View Post
    yea but launchpoint doesnt work with 2.x,
    Good point! I did not know that. I rescind my recommendation (at least as far as for a Pre2.)
  15.    #15  
    @Un_Designer: Thanks! Worked perfectly, and a nice UI touch. I have to admit it's a nicer "feel" than Android where you have to long-press and choose Delete from the menu that pops up.

"Swiping" things away is fun, and cathartic. ;-)

As for my first question (one-touch dialing) I have to say Android (imo) does it better. I don't want to have to slide open my keyboard, look for th right number (after remembering which one i need) and then hold it down. On Android, i can make a one-touch icon on my homescreen, which canbe named with the person's name, and also uses the photo I have for them in my contacts.

On my Android home screen i have a one-touch icon for my Wife's cell phone to call her, another to send a text-message, and one to call home. Next to that I have a folder icon, and that folder contains one-touch dial & text icons for a number of other people).

when I am driving, and I have my Android phone in the cradle/holder on my dash, I can just tap the icon to call home, and it does. I almost don't even need to look. (And I combine this either with a bluetooth headset, or the free Car Mode app which makes all calls automatically hands-free speakerphone calls).
    @Un_Designer: Thanks! Worked perfectly, and a nice UI touch. I have to admit it's a nicer "feel" than Android where you have to long-press and choose Delete from the menu that pops up.

"Swiping" things away is fun, and cathartic. ;-)

As for my first question (one-touch dialing) I have to say Android (imo) does it better. I don't want to have to slide open my keyboard, look for th right number (after remembering which one i need) and then hold it down. On Android, i can make a one-touch icon on my homescreen, which canbe named with the person's name, and also uses the photo I have for them in my contacts.

On my Android home screen i have a one-touch icon for my Wife's cell phone to call her, another to send a text-message, and one to call home. Next to that I have a folder icon, and that folder contains one-touch dial & text icons for a number of other people).

when I am driving, and I have my Android phone in the cradle/holder on my dash, I can just tap the icon to call home, and it does. I almost don't even need to look. (And I combine this either with a bluetooth headset, or the free Car Mode app which makes all calls automatically hands-free speakerphone calls).
    The one touch dial app can be placed on your tray. Click it and it will have everyone you want as a speed dial with their images as a button. Also It works with text messages as well.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1685 View Post
    The one touch dial app can be placed on your tray. Click it and it will have everyone you want as a speed dial with their images as a button. Also It works with text messages as well.
    Do you know the name? And is it Free?

Thanks.
    "One touch Dial" is the name and its 99 cents. Ideally what I do is load my favorites into it and I leave it open as a card so I can slide to it and click it and its there.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I used Photo Dialer as a one touch speed dial app. I had an early version which was free, but I think they started charging for it later on. Many of the one touch dial apps offer a free lite version which is restricted to just a few contacts.

That said, I don't know of ANY speed dial apps that work with 2.X. I think the contact API changed because you can no longer add a new contact to the speed dialer. At least that has been my experience with the three apps I tried.
    Do you know the name? And is it Free?

Thanks.
    1-touch dial is $0.99 in the app catalog.

I was using quick contacts lite (free) which is a 2 step process . With this app in the permanent dock you can call/email/text up to nine people. You can select what task you want to do when you create the shortcut e.g. call or sms and when you click on that button it will automatically do that task. It uses pictures from the contacts so it is like a 2-click dial. One click for opening the app and another to dial or with webOS you can have it open all the time.

For regular phone tasks I like my Pre (minus) better than my Epic 4G as I just start typing on my keyboard and contacts start popping up. With Epic it is a several step process and landscape keyboard is not as easy to use.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast