Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I haven't even finished reading it, but the headline caught my eye.

It went somthing like, Palm Pre 2, great Smart Phone, but who cares.

Palm Pre 2 Review - Smartphones - CNET Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post

Uh, wut? Boonie lauds the improvements of the P2 hw (minue smaller screen) and all of the new functions in 2.0 but basically says that since the Pre3 was announced it's better to wait for the new one but if you can't wait, it's a good phone.

I would think they would be derelict in their review responsibilities if they wrote anything else, seeing that the Pre3 is already announced for summer and its hardware processor is so much more advanced.
    Cnet:
    The bad: The Pre 2 doesn't offer a lot of hardware changes over its predecessor. The smartphone can also be sluggish.

Sluggish. Really?!?
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Uh, wut?
    The actual review doesn't say the part about "who cares". I saw it on the Cnet home page.
    The Pre 2 is a developer device. It's meant so that devs can start making more apps between the transition from 1.4.5 to 2.1.0. Also, it's a great phone. Not quite sure what cnet is smoking.. it beats the pants off every other 1ghz phone.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    The Pre 2 is a developer device. It's meant so that devs can start making more apps between the transition from 1.4.5 to 2.1.0. Also, it's a great phone. Not quite sure what cnet is smoking.. it beats the pants off every other 1ghz phone.
    Errr, the Pre2 was released in France and in the US, so it's hardly a developer phone. Also, as a phone, I'd still take my Epic over the Pre2, just for the sheer screen size alone, and the better battery life I get out of my Epic. The Pre 2 is definitely a good improvement over the original Pre, but in all honesty, the Pre 3 is what the Pre 2 should have been.
    While I will agree the the Pre 2 has faults, all phones have issues. Palm is playing serious catchup and should thank their lucky stars for HP. WebOS is moving along nicely, and I expect we will see updates become more frequent in the near future. (Once the true HP WebOS devices are on the market)

As for the Epic, I will never buy another Samsung device. They just now put 2.2 on that device, and are having issues once again with their Windows devices. Nice hardware, but **** poor customer service and updates. I had issues with 2.1 and battery drain on Android as well. Let's face it, if batter life is the end all be all for smartphone customers, we would all be carrying iPhones. Apple has nailed their OS in this regaurd.

I just took the Atrix for a spin and I have to say the most impressive thing about that device is the browser. Flash video works great and does little to slowdown pages while running. Tegra Zone is cool as well and hopefully takes off for android users. I don't particulary care for android because tweaking is not my cup of tea anymore.

In order, these are my favorite phone OS.

WebOS
    Windows Phone 7
    iOS
    Android
    Maemo
    Thanks for sharing this, didn't know they reviewed it.
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    I don't think it's a bad review at all. Bonnie Cha and CNet reviewed the original Pre and Pre Plus very favorably before. Pretty much anyone who actually tries webOS seems to think that it's a great operating system, with the Pre 3 it'll finally have hardware worthy of it (not that the pre2 is bad by any means, but in this mobile climate you have to really up your game). I'm once again excited by the future of webOS after worrying that it was going to fade away.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Cnet:
    The bad: The Pre 2 doesn't offer a lot of hardware changes over its predecessor. The smartphone can also be sluggish.

Sluggish. Really?!?
    YES, I personally will vouch that the Pre 2 can get quite sluggish at times. In fact at times for no rhyme or reason it just completely stops responding and then will recover in a couple of minutes.

PS: This is on a Pre 2 without any patches or even any running apps.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    I am not sure what the relevance is, whether the Pre 2 is a "developer device" or not. Is it supposed be held to a lower standard because it is a "developer device"? As for it beating the "the pants off every other 1ghz phone", I am sorry I ahve to totally disagree, for in my opinion it does not even match up to my overclocked Pre + running at 1Ghz.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    My new Pre 2 is very fast. I may skip the Pre 3 because I think the screen size on the 2 is perfect.
    It's like she had it for just a few mins and when back to her blackberry.

If it is sluggish, then it needs troubleshooting for Pre 2 is FAR better then Pre +/-.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Maybe it was sluggish because of the 2.0 Rom.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    The Palm Pre 2 is listed number three on the Top Reviews for the week, the articles is headlined on the cNet home page. "Things we are loving now"

High praise.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    YES, I personally will vouch that the Pre 2 can get quite sluggish at times. In fact at times for no rhyme or reason it just completely stops responding and then will recover in a couple of minutes.

PS: This is on a Pre 2 without any patches or even any running apps.
    sanjay, you're talking about an original Pre, right? wait...you mean, like a slug??! oh, man, that's not good. c'mon Palm. get these things in gear.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    The Palm Pre 2 is listed number three on the Top Reviews for the week, the articles is headlined on the cNet home page. "Things we are loving now"

High praise.
    Funny how 6 of the 7 things on that list only received 3.5 out of 5 stars in their ratings. The only one that was better was the Macbook Pro at 4 stars. Apparently they aren't THAT in love with really anything on the list.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maven1975 View Post
    While I will agree the the Pre 2 has faults, all phones have issues. Palm is playing serious catchup and should thank their lucky stars for HP. WebOS is moving along nicely, and I expect we will see updates become more frequent in the near future. (Once the true HP WebOS devices are on the market)

As for the Epic, I will never buy another Samsung device. They just now put 2.2 on that device, and are having issues once again with their Windows devices. Nice hardware, but **** poor customer service and updates. I had issues with 2.1 and battery drain on Android as well. Let's face it, if batter life is the end all be all for smartphone customers, we would all be carrying iPhones. Apple has nailed their OS in this regaurd.

I just took the Atrix for a spin and I have to say the most impressive thing about that device is the browser. Flash video works great and does little to slowdown pages while running. Tegra Zone is cool as well and hopefully takes off for android users. I don't particulary care for android because tweaking is not my cup of tea anymore.

In order, these are my favorite phone OS.

WebOS
    Windows Phone 7
    iOS
    Android
    Maemo
    Actually, Steve Jobs just sent me a text that says "iPhone has no faults."

Don't blame me, I'm just the messenger.

(sent implausibly via EVO)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFL View Post
    Errr, the Pre2 was released in France and in the US, so it's hardly a developer phone. Also, as a phone, I'd still take my Epic over the Pre2, just for the sheer screen size alone, and the better battery life I get out of my Epic. The Pre 2 is definitely a good improvement over the original Pre, but in all honesty, the Pre 3 is what the Pre 2 should have been.
    I don't know what you think carrier releases have to do with a developer phone, but they have nothing to do with a developer phone. The Pre2 has been available in an unlocked GSM form since shortly after that French carrier launch and has been subsidizes by HP, not carriers, for developers to purchase through the Palm developer program.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast