1.    #1  
    If I buy the Pre 2 outright, without extending my contract with Verizon, will I still have the Hotspot feature?
    VZW told me that the free MHS benefit is permanently attached to the Pre+ hardware, and should always be included for free on any data plan assigned to the Pre+.

Do you have a Pre+ yet? The only way to prove it for yourself is to call them to activate a Pre+ with a valid ESN/MEID. But I spent quite a bit of time talking to VZW yesterday, and they consistently said that the free MHS will always be automatic for the Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by pacemkr View Post
    If I buy the Pre 2 outright, without extending my contract with Verizon, will I still have the Hotspot feature?
    Mobile hotspot is a feature, so it has no connection to the contract. You can use the hotspot, but it won't be free. I lost my free hotspot when I upgraded from a Pre + to a Pre 2. The system recognizes the Pre+ and Pixi+ and allows the free hotspot, the Pre 2 it won't allow.
    this is the main reason holding me back from upgrading to the pre2. The free mobile hotspot has just been invaluable lately.

any word on if free tether works with the pre2? And how safe is that?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    The system recognizes the Pre+ and Pixi+ and allows the free hotspot, the Pre 2 it won't allow.
    That's not true. The free hot spot feature is not automatic or somehow connected to the hardware, it is simple a checkbox on your account. I got my Pixi+ before there was the free hotspot feature. Once Verizon decided it was free, it didn't start working magically. I had to add the "Mobile Hotspot" feature on my plan on the website before the Mobile Hotspot program started working.

I don't intend to "upgrade." I will simply call and tell them to turn on a new phone without touching my plan. I already have the Mobile Hotpot feature on my plan.

Can anybody who has actually bought a Pre 2 off contract pitch in?
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I have a off contract Pre 2 and it's allowing me to use mobile hotspot for free. I've had to replace my Pre 2 and the hotspot feature is still free.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    How do you turn on the mobile hotspot? I can't find it on my pre2
    So can anyone confirm that they replaced a Pre + with a Pre 2 and continued to still get the free mobile hotspot?

If this is true, I will buy an eBay Pre 2 right now and keep my plan the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by PMac63 View Post
    So can anyone confirm that they replaced a Pre + with a Pre 2 and continued to still get the free mobile hotspot?

Why not just use freeTether instead? It's out of the testing feed, and is now in Preware. I downloaded it last night on my Sprint Pre 2 & it works great.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I have a pre2 and a pre+.

MHS is always and permanently free for the Pre+. It is always and permanently and extra-charge option on the Pre2.

I switch back and forth periodically. I use freetether on the Pre2 and MHS on the Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by PMac63 View Post

buy it and get FreeTether from Preware for free.
    I don't know that much about FreeTether, maybe I'll have to look into that. Any chance Verizon would catch on to the use of it and cancel for TOS breach?
    they'd probably try to charge for it like at&t is doing for MyWy-using iphone users. But so far they haven't done anything about unofficial tethering solutions on VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    they'd probably try to charge for it like at&t is doing for MyWy-using iphone users. But so far they haven't done anything about unofficial tethering solutions on VZW
    Everywhere I've looked says VZW can't tell if you are tethering with something like FreeTether.

As for AT&T, I thought I had read that they were just going after people with really high data numbers with emails saying "It looks like you are tethering, and if you are, you should be paying for it". People in the comments have said they called back and told the rep they just use Pandora and Netflix all day and they were left alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by BurtReynolds View Post
    Everywhere I've looked says VZW can't tell if you are tethering with something like FreeTether.

As for AT&T, I thought I had read that they were just going after people with really high data numbers with emails saying "It looks like you are tethering, and if you are, you should be paying for it". People in the comments have said they called back and told the rep they just use Pandora and Netflix all day and they were left alone.
    My neighbor got a similar message on his "testing" satellite reciever from Dish, a special offer for people who were "bypassing" the billing of Dish network. Seems they sent this channel that paying customers could not see, offering them "forgiveness" if they signed up. I read elsewhere though that it was entrapment, because they promptly went after anyone who responded, thereby admitting they were getting it for free. He's since moved away, so I never found out what happened. I am always a fan of 'legally free", but I'd have to admit, I'd also be reticent to do anything that would seem like an admission of guilt.