Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,

Had a Pre a few years ago but following an update which disabled the rebel sim I was using, had to get rid without really using it for very long.

Have decided to go back to webos and have a Pre2 on its way to me. Can anyone offer any advice on what I should do to get going? What I mean is any must have apps, settings, homebrew etc. to set me well on the road to getting the most out of it?

Thanks in advance !!
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerdean View Post
    Hi All,

Had a Pre a few years ago but following an update which disabled the rebel sim I was using, had to get rid without really using it for very long.

Have decided to go back to webos and have a Pre2 on its way to me. Can anyone offer any advice on what I should do to get going? What I mean is any must have apps, settings, homebrew etc. to set me well on the road to getting the most out of it?

Thanks in advance !!
    Mine worked pretty well out of the box, so I don't know about settings to change. Apps is all up to you. I'm not a huge app guy, so I've got less than 20 on mine and they are all basic ones (Bible, Weather Channel, Fandango, Facebook, Music Remix, etc) plus a few games (Super Jump, Angry Birds, helicopter game, etc). The one I would absolutely recommend is Music Remix. If you want your music on the phone, then Music Remix is a MUST. It's in the app catalog for $3.99. As far as homebrew, there are far fewer options at this point than for 1.4.5, but I believe they are steadily coming in. 1.4.5 was a patcher's heaven for me for the past couple of months, but most of the patches I had aren't available for 2.0 yet.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Mine worked pretty well out of the box, so I don't know about settings to change. Apps is all up to you. I'm not a huge app guy, so I've got less than 20 on mine and they are all basic ones (Bible, Weather Channel, Fandango, Facebook, Music Remix, etc) plus a few games (Super Jump, Angry Birds, helicopter game, etc). The one I would absolutely recommend is Music Remix. If you want your music on the phone, then Music Remix is a MUST. It's in the app catalog for $3.99. As far as homebrew, there are far fewer options at this point than for 1.4.5, but I believe they are steadily coming in. 1.4.5 was a patcher's heaven for me for the past couple of months, but most of the patches I had aren't available for 2.0 yet.
    Thanks for that. Phone has landed and i'm loving it so far. A little concerned about the battery life but i'm sure that's more to do with the fact that i've hardly put it down since it arrived.

I will definitely be using it to listen to music. Is Music Remix a big improvement over the stock app?
    Yes I bought music remix and it is essentially what the stock app should be. It has plenty of features that are missing in the stock app (time left in song). You can setup on the go playlists pretty easily too. I'm happy with the purchase and recommend it.
    Thanks for that. Phone has landed and i'm loving it so far. A little concerned about the battery life but i'm sure that's more to do with the fact that i've hardly put it down since it arrived.

I will definitely be using it to listen to music. Is Music Remix a big improvement over the stock app?
    Find out for yourself by trying the full-featured 14-day trial: Music Player (Remix) Trial Version

Being the developer, I'm biased, but I think most people would agree it is much better than the stock app. I'd argue it's better than many other music apps on other platforms as well. I've added a ton of useful features that you'll wonder how you lived without. You can learn about some of those features in the intro video I created (linked in my signature). Although oddly enough I forgot to mention my most-used feature which is "universal search". On any screen within the app, you can start typing to instantly find any song, album, artist, genre, playlist, or flylist in your music library.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    phantomskinz front shield. Feels just like gorilla glass without so many smudges
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Find out for yourself by trying the full-featured 14-day trial: Music Player (Remix) Trial Version

Being the developer, I'm biased, but I think most people would agree it is much better than the stock app. I'd argue it's better than many other music apps on other platforms as well. I've added a ton of useful features that you'll wonder how you lived without. You can learn about some of those features in the intro video I created (linked in my signature). Although oddly enough I forgot to mention my most-used feature which is "universal search". On any screen within the app, you can start typing to instantly find any song, album, artist, genre, playlist, or flylist in your music library.
    Thanks for the heads up on the trial version. Will give it a whirl then no doubt send some money your way for the full app :-)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    phantomskinz front shield. Feels just like gorilla glass without so many smudges
    Do you find this makes a big difference with the smudges? Have noticed the screen seems to pick them up easily.

You might find that your battery life improves after it cycles a few times.
  10.    #10  
    You might find that your battery life improves after it cycles a few times.
    That's good to know. Should I be running it from fully charged to completely flat a few times first off?

Yes, I really find that phantomskinz drastically reduces smudges and fingertips. Very happy that I spent $10 for it. Its also the only company that makes the cover for the Palm pre 2 so u dont have to modify anything
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    You should try to avoid fully discharging lithium-ion batteries. The full-discharge trick is for NiCad batteries.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    Yes, I really find that phantomskinz drastically reduces smudges and fingertips. Very happy that I spent $10 for it. Its also the only company that makes the cover for the Palm pre 2 so u dont have to modify anything
    Thanks for that. Will get one of those picked up.

14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mwr0707 View Post
    You should try to avoid fully discharging lithium-ion batteries. The full-discharge trick is for NiCad batteries.
    Ahhh, good to know. So basically just charge as needed and hopefully I may notice an improvement in battery life?

15.    #15  
    Ok, I have what may be a really silly question so apologies if it is. I see that even though I am in the UK and have a UK purchased Pre, the hardware keyboard has a $ sign, not a sign. I know that the is easily accessible through the sym button but was wondering if there is any way to make the Pre input a when the $ button is used?

Ok, I have what may be a really silly question so apologies if it is. I see that even though I am in the UK and have a UK purchased Pre, the hardware keyboard has a $ sign, not a sign. I know that the is easily accessible through the sym button but was wondering if there is any way to make the Pre input a when the $ button is used?

You can customize a given font set within webOS. I know some did it to replace an entire font set so they could have Hebrew fonts. I don't know all of the details personally but if you search the forums for "Hebrew font" I am sure you will find a thread where they help someone get it done.

And since webOS has multiple font sets, you will likely want to find the default one and replace it there. I would recommend simply switching the two symbols so that both are still available to you.

Nevermind... I found a thread that has the answer, here is the exact post, but if you follow their conversation back a bit you will get the picture.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2596794
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 03/03/2011 at 08:47 AM.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    You can customize a given font set within webOS. I know some did it to replace an entire font set so they could have Hebrew fonts. I don't know all of the details personally but if you search the forums for "Hebrew font" I am sure you will find a thread where they help someone get it done.

And since webOS has multiple font sets, you will likely want to find the default one and replace it there. I would recommend simply switching the two symbols so that both are still available to you.

Nevermind... I found a thread that has the answer, here is the exact post, but if you follow their conversation back a bit you will get the picture.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2596794
    Thanks! I'll have a read through that and see what I can do.

Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Hey steelerdean, remember me?

You bought my Pre (For a very good price!!)

I've returned to WebOS 2 and have a Pre2
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    Hey steelerdean, remember me?

You bought my Pre (For a very good price!!)

I've returned to WebOS 2 and have a Pre2
    Hi mate. Yep I remember buying your pre. Was gutted to have to get rid of it when the update broke the rebel sim. Really glad I'm back though - and now with a proper unlocked pre 2 !!

20.    #20  
    I'm not sure if i've done this myself somehow but my Pre2 has stopped giving me audio notifications for emails. Get them for everything else but not for the email. The light in the gesture area lights up but no sound at all. Apologies if this is a stupid n00b question but anyone any ideas?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast