Hi everybody.
    I've just spent a weekend in a ski resort, and of course I brought my good Pre2 with me.

Well, something really weird happened. I noticed that the Pre2's performances and functions were seriously compromised whenever I tried to use it outside (to send an SMS, make a call or take a photo/video).

I'm under the impression this was fault of the low temperature (around -2 degrees celsius), possibly combined with humidity.

Problems I've met:
    1. Touch gestures were not detected: I had to swipe my fingers (both in the gesture area and on the rest of the screen) repeatedly, in order to produce any kind of effect. Same for buttons: I had to tap them several times before tapping was detected. Maybe fault of my cold fingers? Could be.. but I was wearing gloves while skiing, so I suppose they were well above 0 degrees celsius when I took them off to use the phone!
    2. General slowdown: every app seemed exceedingly slow; video recording, for example, showed major lagging
    3. Weirdest thing: some dead pixels (black dots) appeared on the top-left side of the screen, and they remained visible (even when back home) regardless of the application I was running. Nevertheless (and that's even more surprising!!), they progressively disappeared after a couple of days

Does anyone have an explanation for all this?
    I tried restarting the device at the end of the first day, but it all happened again the next day.

Now I'm back in the city, warm and clean, and the Pre2 works just fine
    I would be absolutely shocked if this wasn't because of the cold.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Maybe it was the cold. There was this story about someone's iPhone breaking apart after being exposed to very cold temperatures (I think in northern Europe), so perhaps the temperature was below the lower limit for safe operation.

Also, I would bet the ski resort was much, much cleaner than the city.

Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Maybe it was the cold. There was this story about someone's iPhone breaking apart after being exposed to very cold temperatures (I think in northern Europe), so perhaps the temperature was below the lower limit for safe operation.

Also, I would bet the ski resort was much, much cleaner than the city.
    I don't think it was filth either. I am curious to know the temperatures and the weather when he was outside with it.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I am curious to know the temperatures and the weather when he was outside with it.
    It was about -5 degrees celsius (but in my jacket's inner pocket, when I kept my Pre, it must have been warmer).

Weather was a bit foggy and very little snowy (two or three snow flakes may have landed on the palm's screen while I was trying to use it).
    Last edited by stex; 02/28/2011 at 03:38 AM.
    Definitely the cold. Same thing happens to my pre- after reffing soccer games when its 12f outside.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    well i work in a cold storage. so i could easily test this theory our. if it works in the freezer part, normally around -15-20 degrees Fahrenheit, then its the humidity.
    Last edited by keeb119; 02/28/2011 at 01:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by millworkman View Post
    Definitely the cold. Same thing happens to my pre- after reffing soccer games when its 12f outside.
    Yeah, we had a cold spell, down around 18F... Touch response was barely there, took 6-8 tries just to zoom in on a picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by keeb119 View Post
    well i work in a cold storage. so i could easily test this theory our. if it works in the freezer part, normally around -15-20 degrees Fahrenheit, then its the humidity.
    Yeah, thanks! That would definitely help finding a final answer.
    Have you tried yet?
    Oh one more thing...
    Do you guys know whether the cold may actually damage the Pre2, or are these performace issues purely and uniquely temporary?
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stex View Post
    Yeah, thanks! That would definitely help finding a final answer.
    Have you tried yet?
    yup. only for a couple of seconds, and it works fine for me. i just couldnt take the cold.

but on a side note, mine tends to freeze randomly.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    well, i was in the freezer for about ten mins. playing on hte phone the whole time. still worked fine, no problem. and believe me my hands were very cold afterwards. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by keeb119 View Post
    well, i was in the freezer for about ten mins. playing on hte phone the whole time. still worked fine, no problem. and believe me my hands were very cold afterwards. lol.
    Why not leave the phone in the freezer for 20 min THAN take from the freezer and try it .. This way you stay warm

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Why not leave the phone in the freezer for 20 min THAN take from the freezer and try it .. This way you stay warm

thought about it, but not wanting my phone to be literally frozen, i figured this was the best way to go about it. btw it was about -10 degrees Fahrenheit in the freezer.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I do a lot of walking outdoors in cold weather and I find after about 20 minutes the phone pretty much "freezes" up and won't respond. As soon as it "defrosts" it's fine. I also find if I keep the screen to my body vs. away, it slows the "freeze". I think the gorilla glass acts as a cold sink.
    I have the same issue with the Pre Plus, if its outside for a while in the cold, it seems to quit working...

My buddy was up visiting who also has a pre plus, and we were both experiencing the same issues. Once we got back inside where it was warm, everything cleared up.

It was a fairly warm day for a winter where I live (28 F) And I was outside for several hours, but it was right up against my leg in my pocket. So it couldn't have been that cold.
    I think it is probably because your fingers froze solid and had no electromotivity so the screen wouldn't work....
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I think in Japan or Korea they once used these little sausages on their iPhones whenever it was freezing. Seemed to work better than freezing fingers.