Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Follow me through this:

I have video player for the TV, its a WD TV Live. Its just old enough that, even though it does wifi, it does not do netflix natively. So I use a program for the PC that acts as a Media Server doing a whole bunch of stuff, called PlayOn. PlayOn has a ios app and maybe a Android app, but it does these things through Flash.

Since Pre2 2.0.1 supports flash, I can watch anything the PlayOn serves up, Netflix, Hulu, bunch of stuff, Amazon VOD. It works. Both locally by Wifi and across the net on 3G.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    To do it via your PC, it would need to stream to something like an Orb server that can produce a stream that the phone can view it.

If your set-up can produce a DRM-free flash stream, your phone can watch it. If you have a URL you want me to try on my Pre2, send it to me as a PM.

I haven't seen this done in real time for netflix or Hulu, but I have a screen scraper app that can capture videos into a DRM-free format. Interesting to play with, but not convenient enough to watch on the tiny phone screen. But once there is a native app available, I'm sure I'll watch that stuff on my phone more.

Not yet, but there is a Netflix app expected about the time that the TouchPad ships.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 02/27/2011 at 03:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    I too am looking forward to the native netflix app, but this does work in the meantime. To allow you in I'd have to reveal more about access into my lan than I care too (nothing personal), but playon has a free version and I think a demo for a couple weeks with their expanded content. Its pretty neat.
    Jim Altman
    Nice work-around. I'll have to try this out when I get my phone next week. I'll probably get a lot of use out of this, now that I think of it.
    ~ Follow me on Twitter ~
    how do you get play on to actually stream video. I can log in and browse to different shows but not actually play media. any suggestions?
    Been using PlayOn for a couple years now and am trying to get others to hit their forums to ask them port over their new iPhone app.
    Might not need to do that if their Android implementation also ends up working on the 2.x.
    Would changing your user agent string to iphone work? Also, does anyone know how to do this in webos 2.1?
    Off topic, but...

I'm not sure what I'd be paying for with Playon. I already pay for Netflix, which I can play for free on my computer or Wii. I'm supposed to pay them $40 for the first year just to access the Netflix that I'm already paying for? With Netflix on my Wii and my cable's On Demand, what void do they fill?
    I use it to get netflix, espn3, mlb.tv, etc onto my wdtv live.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan986 View Post
    how do you get play on to actually stream video. I can log in and browse to different shows but not actually play media. any suggestions?
    Are you touching the > in the flash area of the webpage to tell flash to play?

and btw, I have playon to stream all its stuff to my wd tv live as well, so its cost was already undertaken so my wife can stream the netflix before the pre use came on the scene. I just wish they had announced mobile flash player usage before the cheap upgrade expired last year.
    Jim Altman
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Off topic, but...

I'm not sure what I'd be paying for with Playon. I already pay for Netflix, which I can play for free on my computer or Wii. I'm supposed to pay them $40 for the first year just to access the Netflix that I'm already paying for? With Netflix on my Wii and my cable's On Demand, what void do they fill?
    You can go to their site for a list of all supported content channels. If all you use is Netflix and only care about sending it to a Wii then it's not worth it to you.
    I don't see the flash icon on it. Can you post a couple screen shots of what your interface looks like on the phone? Also, what version of the server do you have? I will try upgrading it when I get home from work today to see if that solves the problem.
    IT works great with the latest server. Thanks.
    thi sucks I been trying to watch movies but my phone don't support the apps.