Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shrxwin View Post
    I can't wait to investigate which patches are available, because I do miss my character count and new card per convo, hopefully those are updated. and MY GOODNESS were the icons always so BIG?

Have a great weekend everyone! Clarice
    Those 2 patches are indeed available for the Pre 2.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    Those 2 patches are indeed available for the Pre 2.
    Great, thanks for the heads up!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    3 days in with the Pre2 and have to agree with everyone. It's a real shame more people won't experience it. Its hard to believe it shares so many common components with the original Pre. Palm have reengineered way more than just the cpu and screen. I'll still get a pre 3 when its released but I can now show off webos with pride again.

someone asked if the screen it as visible in sunlight as the original. Well today is a scorcher and its been great.
    I hope the Pre3 screen will be as awesome as the one on the Pre (and, apparently, the Pre2). A lot of people can't use their phones at all on a bright day, and most have to shield the screen with a hand or hold it against the sun. The Pre however is as readable under direct sunlight as it is in the dark. And that's just awesome.
    yes it will be as good if not better than the pre2 lol and its good !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I just upgraded from a Pre- (Movistar) to Pre2 (US-GSM), bought from FS forum, and delivered to US while I was over there last week and activated on US Sim (AT&T).
    I agree with all these posts on speed and robustness. It is really far superior to Pre- in all respects.
    I had Pre- on 2.1.0 and tried all the over-clocking kernels. Each seemed to have some problems on Pre-, with locking-up, pauses, and stuttering.
    The Pre2 has no probs at all, and I don't think I will use the OC kernels (yet, anyway).
    Back in Oz, it only connects 2G, but most of the time I am on WiFi, and the 2G worked fine for email etc., so I am not bothered.
    I will try to get a Pre3 GSM-EU when they come out, but for the interim I am very happy with the Pre2.
    Palm IIIe -> SL-10 -> NX80 -> UX-50 -> TH-55 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre (Movistar) -> Pre 2 (GSM-US) -> Pre 3 (EU-GSM) -> Pre 3 (AT&T) + TP 32Gb
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Just met with a good friend of mine. He has an iphone 3g and he really likes it, without being an Apple f@nboy (why is the word censored?) though. He knows about webOS and has read good things about it. He asked me to give him my Pre 2 to see what webOS is all about. I asked him his iphone in order to play with it, now that I have my Pre and to really find out why the iphone is considered that good.

After a couple of minutes I was just thinking that I'd like to have a better built quality in my Pre (and a less wobbly slider) and some more apps. On the other hand, I was wondering how in the hell I could get out of an application because no gestures or swipes could do it for me and I found the "one big key that does it all" a bit stupid. It felt like I had an obsolete UI in my hands.

At the same time, my friend was saying "my phone can't do that" seeing how real multitasking works and how the cards and stacks really rule the world.

This made me happy and a bit sad in the same time. Are we the last people in a dying OS that really deserves much more?
    HP-Palm have a real gem, have all the hard work done for them. They just have to get out there and shout "there is a better OS, try it". While this seems easy, I find it hard to believe that webOS will indeed manage to get a respectable market share. A market share which personally doesn't mean anything to me (I don't have any HP stocks), but would also mean much more interest and chances to see this thing improved with developers spending time with it.

Sorry for the long post, just felt like it
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Just met with a good friend of mine. He has an iphone 3g and he really likes it, without being an Apple f@nboy (why is the word censored?) though. He knows about webOS and has read good things about it. He asked me to give him my Pre 2 to see what webOS is all about. I asked him his iphone in order to play with it, now that I have my Pre and to really find out why the iphone is considered that good.

After a couple of minutes I was just thinking that I'd like to have a better built quality in my Pre (and a less wobbly slider) and some more apps. On the other hand, I was wondering how in the hell I could get out of an application because no gestures or swipes could do it for me and I found the "one big key that does it all" a bit stupid. It felt like I had an obsolete UI in my hands.

At the same time, my friend was saying "my phone can't do that" seeing how real multitasking works and how the cards and stacks really rule the world.

This made me happy and a bit sad in the same time. Are we the last people in a dying OS that really deserves much more?
    HP-Palm have a real gem, have all the hard work done for them. They just have to get out there and shout "there is a better OS, try it". While this seems easy, I find it hard to believe that webOS will indeed manage to get a respectable market share. A market share which personally doesn't mean anything to me (I don't have any HP stocks), but would also mean much more interest and chances to see this thing improved with developers spending time with it.

good post, good read for sure.

webOS isn't a dying OS. It may seem like that, but it's not. It's just hard with the transition the HP/Palm has gone through. Once we get past this they will have a more stable and concrete schedule. So we'll see a better turn around than what we've been used too lately.

Also, keep in mind that HP isn't here for instant growth/satisfaction. They are in this for the long term, as Leo stated it's the beginning of a marathon. And he's right. It will all be about connectivity. They've got quite the headstart on it so later on this year we'll see their vision and where they're taking webOS further.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnick View Post
    Back in Oz, it only connects 2G, but most of the time I am on WiFi, and the 2G worked fine for email etc., so I am not bothered.
    You would get 3G on Telstra or Vodaphone's new 850 network.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

What kind of Pre 2 do you have? The build quality on my Pre 2 is phenomenal compared to the Pre and Pre Plus I have here. HP has to have something unique and have excellent advertising. Look at "Droid", everyone knew about the droid. Verizon, Sprint and HP will have to have a huge campaign when it comes out. Increase the developers and app quality and bam you have a winner.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    You would get 3G on Telstra or Vodaphone's new 850 network.
    Arrgh .... Telstra ..... [shudder]
    I think I would rather poke a stick in my eye
    Palm IIIe -> SL-10 -> NX80 -> UX-50 -> TH-55 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre (Movistar) -> Pre 2 (GSM-US) -> Pre 3 (EU-GSM) -> Pre 3 (AT&T) + TP 32Gb

Trust me, I know. I have "sold" 19 Pre's since getting my Pre Classic back in July '09. Many bad mouthed it, slammed the app situation but 90% of the people were amazed and that last 10% at least humbled even if they didn't convert.

I have a fun (for me :P) lunchtime game that I play with my iOS buddies to show just how webOS runs circles around them in multitasking I call the "Super Task Challenge".

http://forums.precentral.net/2905201-post50.html
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    The app thing doesn't bug me a lot. I know many people want to buy thousands of apps and so this is a problem for HP wanting to sell phones to them. For me, I would just want some more of the "classic" apps I miss (apps I could find in my old WM6 phone) and also for HP to remove the geo-restrictions.

HP needs to make a fuss about webOS and they also need to make some more phones, probably one without QWERTY and a huge scree as many people like them that way (I'm not one of them).

Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    What kind of Pre 2 do you have? The build quality on my Pre 2 is phenomenal compared to the Pre and Pre Plus I have here. HP has to have something unique and have excellent advertising. Look at "Droid", everyone knew about the droid. Verizon, Sprint and HP will have to have a huge campaign when it comes out. Increase the developers and app quality and bam you have a winner.
    Well, I don't know how many kinds there are, I have the EU one. I also didnt have other Pres before, so I can't really compare it to them. The quality is not bad totally, I just don't like the slider system, it seems very weak. For example the Sony Ericsson Zylo (a cheap phone) has a more sturdy slider system with less wobble.
    Bet when Rim copies webos on phones they will do a better job advertising it than palm/hp has to this point
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    So any thoughts on the Pre2 signal reception compared to Pre minus? I have been amazed at how much better this is on my EVO is than any other phone I have had (treos, BB tour, TP2, Pre minus). It is ridiculously better all over the place and I travel a lot for work. This alone would make it hard to leave even thought I would love to try Pre2 and Pre3. It impacts battery life as well and the EVO has been far better in that respect as well. I would rather have WebOS, but...thoughts? Pre2 signal vs Pre minus? Battery?

Oh, and I never use my 4G. Don't need it and everything is certainly fast enough without it. I think 4G on anything these days is far, far overrated when you look at battery impact.

Thanks.
    The Pre 2 definitely has better battery life than the Pre. As for signal reception, I haven't really noticed a difference, but then again I never had signal reception problems with my Pre.
    ...snip... On the other hand, I was wondering how in the hell I could get out of an application because no gestures or swipes could do it for me and I found the "one big key that does it all" a bit stupid. It felt like I had an obsolete UI in my hands....snip...
    One word and one emotion came to mind when I read this: "Touchpad" and ""
    Quote Originally Posted by dtreo View Post
    So any thoughts on the Pre2 signal reception compared to Pre minus? I have been amazed at how much better this is on my EVO is than any other phone I have had (treos, BB tour, TP2, Pre minus). It is ridiculously better all over the place and I travel a lot for work. This alone would make it hard to leave even thought I would love to try Pre2 and Pre3. It impacts battery life as well and the EVO has been far better in that respect as well. I would rather have WebOS, but...thoughts? Pre2 signal vs Pre minus? Battery?

Oh, and I never use my 4G. Don't need it and everything is certainly fast enough without it. I think 4G on anything these days is far, far overrated when you look at battery impact.

Thanks.
    Since you're on Sprint, if you were to use a Pre2 on Sprint, you would need the raidio (communication board) out of an original Pre anyway. So that part wouldn't be any different.

-Skippy
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy07 View Post
    Since you're on Sprint, if you were to use a Pre2 on Sprint, you would need the raidio (communication board) out of an original Pre anyway. So that part wouldn't be any different.

-Skippy
    Thanks. I guess I wasn't asking about reception compared to a Sprint Pre, but generally has anyone noticed a difference coming from a Pre to a Pre 2...which I suppose would be a Verizon user. I guess that might be a small number of people who have experience with both at this point.

One weird thing happened to me today when I dropped in at my local Sprint store and looked at (morbid curiosity) the Kyocera dual screen whateveryoucallit. The store wasn't busy at all, so the two reps there started talking to me about the Kyocera and it's oddities vs. my EVO. I mentioned that I'd love to see them carry the Pre3 and they both lit up with genuine anticipation of getting a Sprint Pre3 in May or June, in addition to the HP TouchPad. This has never happened to me at a Sprint store where they usually cringe at the mention of Palm or Pre. The one said that she just saw the TouchPad on the most recent roadmap and they're getting it in May. She then said they expect the Pre3 and definitely not the Pre2 saying it was discontinued. I'll post a comment about it in the Pre3 section as well.

Take it FWIW. Who knows.

dtreo

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    I got mine through Rogers, and boy, talk about fast...everything comes up quickly on this thing..including my forums!!
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast