1.    #1  
    Is it just me, or does everyone's Pre 2 back cover creak and groan more than my grandma's arthritis?

Its very unnerving as it sound as though its all about to fall apart.

It happens when I gently hold (squeeze) the phone, and when I type in the keyboard. The Pre Plus I have does not do this...

What should I do, ignore it, or kick up a stink?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    No, it's not just you. My back cover is horrible. Got a Pre- GSM here for a comparison and though the Pre-'s got a much bigger oreo, the back cover is stable and doesn't make any sounds.

BTW, the oreo effect on my Pre 2 is also irritating. Hope the new HP phones won't get it too...
    Mine had that as well. There's quite a few people experiencing this.
  4.    #4  
    Looks as though the Pre 3 fixes this, hopefully I an afford one.

Its pretty frustrating... :S

Also to note, it seems the Pre 2's oreo effect is also worse than the Pre Plus! Now I never expected that. Now whenever I hold the Pre Plus I'm suprised on how sturdy and well built it is...

Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    I have similiar problems with my Pre 2, not to mention the 'oreo' effect. All in all, my Pre + has much better build quality than the crappy Pre 2.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I have similiar problems with my Pre 2, not to mention the 'oreo' effect. All in all, my Pre + has much better build quality than the crappy Pre 2.
    Its shocking to think that the build quality is getting worse! I wish it wasn't such a common issue on the palm devices, as then we could get it replaced without the high chance of running into another dodgy one.
    Apart from the slight creaking (which was noticeable, but not disturbing to me), I had no oreo at all. Well, it wiggled a tiny bit as can be expected.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Apart from the slight creaking (which was noticeable, but not disturbing to me), I had no oreo at all. Well, it wiggled a tiny bit as can be expected.
    The creaking on my Pre 2 is pretty disgraceful, I didn't notice it when i first got the phone though (nearly a month ago). Now it is very obvious.

The oreo issue seems to have got progressively worse over time. Not bad enough to have a fit over, but the Pre Plus is definitely putting it to shame.
    There's a thread here with a fix using electrical tape or foam inside the back cover. It worked on my old Verizon Pre Plus that was creaking while typing. Hope this helps.

Fix for creaking battery cover / keyboard!

Edit: more fix suggestions here:

back of the pre creaking when i text
    Last edited by Yellowhammer; 02/27/2011 at 05:48 AM.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhammer View Post
    There's a thread here with a fix using electrical tape inside the back cover. It worked on my old Verizon Pre Plus that was creaking while typing. Hope this helps.

Fix for creaking battery cover / keyboard!
    Thanks, I'll look into that

I recommend that you give the tape method a go. It definitely silenced my Pre-.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I recommend that you give the tape method a go. It definitely silenced my Pre-.
    Okay thanks John. I'll be sure to check it out tomorrow morning, for some reason the link is pulling up a 'page not found' error in the Pre's browser right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    Okay thanks John. I'll be sure to check it out tomorrow morning, for some reason the link is pulling up a 'page not found' error in the Pre's browser right now...

It just involves a couple of pieces of tape (electrical/duct) over the bottom corners beneath the back cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post

This worked for me

Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    My Verizon Pre 2 doesn't creak at all. My Sprint Pre used to do this and I fixed it by putting a small stick-on felt pad in the corner under the battery cover, similar to the tape method mentioned above.
    Ditto. I took me quite a bit of scotch tape to stop the back cover from giving in. Its a design flaw, that the cover got some air beneath it and not fits snugly. And what moves will start making noise sooner or later.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    This worked for me

Funny you should post that pic John.
    My Pre 2 creaked a bit at the top.
    No sign of creaking so far on my VZW Pre2. I don't know about oreo - the tiny bit of play that's there doesn't seem unreasonable or bothersome right now.