1.    #1  
    Okay, so here's the deal...

In Dec 2010, I bought an Android. I knew that I was going to be on a huge important high stakes contract in the States in Feb-March of 2011 and at the time I was certain that I would need to be able to edit word and excel files on the go and so I left my beloved release day Pre and got a Droid Pro. I didn't want to. I thought I had to.

Now that I'm in the middle of the contract, I have learned that I actually don't need to edit any files on the go on my phone. And I brought my old Pre with me because I am a Dr. Podder addict and I find myself running back to my old Pre. Constantly. And I realised that I want to go back to WebOS. Bad. Really bad.

I'm done with Android.

It's a fine OS, but I am truly done with it. And I know the shortcomings of WebOS. Intimately. But I am more than willing to deal with them. And I am now determined to get a Pre 2.

Here's the question... I'm going to be here in the US for the next two weeks. Should I order a Pre 2 here directly from HP and have it delivered to my hotel, or should I wait until I get home and buy one from Rogers.

I turn to you, the WebOS community for your wisdom. And I have very little time to make my decision, so a speedy response is appreciated.

If I get a Pre 2 here in the US I won't activate it here. I know that I should wait till I get to Canada. And I know you can activate a Pre 2 on Bell from HP and from Rogers. But what should I do. Is there software on the Rogers Pre 2 that is in-compatible with Bell? Is there software from an HP Pre 2 that is in-compatible with Bell? Or does it even matter?

I anxiously await your advice.
    Well, who's your carrier in Canada? If it's Rogers, it's no brainer, get it from Rogers. If not, get the unbranded one from HP in the states.

The reason I say that is a couple of reasons:

You'll still pay the same amount from Rogers for the non-contract price (plus tax) if you were to get it here, but then also need to pay extra to unlock the phone.

Also, potentially, there should be less setup issues with the unbranded one: I have a Rogers pre 2 that was unlocked, and while I have been able to enter in the Telus data APN, it's still intermittent and it won't let me save the MMS apn settings. I'm assuming (although it just maybe a bug with WebOS, not necessarily with the Rogers Pre 2) that the unbranded one will take and more importantly save non Rogers APN settings without issues?

You'll still want to activate it with a Rogers SIM first though, or you wont be able to access the appcat.
    Oh, re-reading your original post, if you have a pre minus, I'm assuming you're with bell.

Buy the unbranded one! And dont activate with Bell, even though they strangely enough used to sell pres, pre 2s don't activate properly on them...
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenlump View Post
    You'll still want to activate it with a Rogers SIM first though, or you wont be able to access the appcat.
    Untrue. It has nothing to do with the carrier, but the country. My friend had an AT&T Pre Plus that was never activated in the States, but subsequently brought to Canada, unlocked then initial activated with a Rogers.

And this was way before the Pre 2, and Rogers had not Palm devices back then. With a Bell card it should be just fine.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Buy one from HP.com and have it shipped to your hotel and if you wont be there long enough for the shipment to get there, have it forwarded to Canada using a package forwarding service, it's what I did for my developer Pre 2.

Package forwarding service: GamesForCanada.com - Good Games, Great Prices...Eh?
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Untrue. It has nothing to do with the carrier, but the country. My friend had an AT&T Pre Plus that was never activated in the States, but subsequently brought to Canada, unlocked then initial activated with a Rogers.

And this was way before the Pre 2, and Rogers had not Palm devices back then. With a Bell card it should be just fine.
    It is true. It used to be the 'conventional wisdom' that the app cat was only region/location locked, but for some reason the Pre 2s don't behave this way, at least here in Canada.

The Rogers one will not get paid access to app cat if not activated specifically with Rogers. I myself had this problem and few others here as well. It's also been verified by a L3 tech guy when I had problems and essentially told me I was screwed. (that's another story)

In fact, I'm not sure if it's only the Roger's branded ones that has that problem - there was a post by a HP employee in montreal who got an unbranded Pre2 given out by work. He activated it on Bell and got no app cat but his coworkers who activated it on Rogers did.

Who knows if this is intentional or some serious screwup on the part of HP's appcat servers, but at least for now, I think the safe bet is to activate with Rogers.
  7.    #7  
    Yes I'm with Bell, and I've read in the forums here that the HP Pre 2 can get activated and work on Bell with app catalogue access no problem.

I've heard about a problem with duplicate contacts when you move your WebOS account to a Pre 2. Is that still a problem? I don't mind setting up a brand new account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Yes I'm with Bell, and I've read in the forums here that the HP Pre 2 can get activated and work on Bell with app catalogue access no problem.

I've heard about a problem with duplicate contacts when you move your WebOS account to a Pre 2. Is that still a problem? I don't mind setting up a brand new account.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2884939

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...a-network.html

if you read them them through, there are several people without access to paid apps. Myself included
    Last edited by chickenlump; 02/27/2011 at 10:52 AM.
  9.    #9  
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2884939

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...a-network.html

if you read them them through, there are several people without access to paid apps. Myself included
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. From what I understand, you activate on another carrier, get the app cat working, then bring it over to Bell. That's the gist of what I've read.

I am seriously leaning towards buying an HP phone here, activating it here, and taking it home with US app cat.

I haven't read anything about the app cat not working on Rogers.
    Last edited by Vociferous; 02/27/2011 at 01:22 PM.
    Yes, that's what I meant too. Activate it with a Rogers SIM card first - which seems to be the only carrier that is getting reliable app cat access at this time with the Pre 2.

Then go to whatever carrier you want to. I didn't mean to stay with Rogers.
  11.    #11  
    I do prefer the Rogers voice mail system. A lot. So much so that I'd seriously consider moving to Rogers.

But I've got the old unlimited Bell Data plan, and I'm not giving it up until they pry it from my cold dead hands.
    I do prefer the Rogers voice mail system. A lot. So much so that I'd seriously consider moving to Rogers.

But I've got the old unlimited Bell Data plan, and I'm not giving it up until they pry it from my cold dead hands.
    wow, they grandfathered your data plan when you converted to the new network? how'd you manage that?
  13.    #13  
    I know. I just made sure they understood I had options
    I have a Pre 2 from HP and can't seem to access the commercial App Catalog. The things is, I first used it with my Bell SIM. I tried removing my Palm Profile, wiping the phone and activating with the Rogers SIM card in, but I still can't get access to the commercial App Catalog. So I don't know if buying a US Pre 2 from HP would get you the apps.
    Yes, that's what I meant too. Activate it with a Rogers SIM card first - which seems to be the only carrier that is getting reliable app cat access at this time with the Pre 2.

Then go to whatever carrier you want to. I didn't mean to stay with Rogers.
    If you want the full US app catalog for sure with no doubts, then go to an AT&T Store here in the USA, buy a Go-Phone Pre-Paid SIM card.

- Open the go-phone account with $20 or $22 (see below to understand) or the minimum required if more than that. The AT&T Rep may or may not set up your pre-paid plan for you. If they do, choose the $2 per day unlimited talk and text prepaid plan. You pay $2 the first call you make on any given day. You'll probably only use this account one day (don't tell them that!).

- Some of the remaining funds left on your go-phone account balance will be used for data during Pre 2 activation and Palm Profile set-up. That will be explained more clearly in the next step. Unfortunately the rest of your initial funding $$ to the acct may go unused and wasted. If you really care then find a way to use them for voice at $2 per day or for data after you activate your Pre 2 before heading north to Canada. Remember, you are following this process with one goal in mind, to set your device up with permenent full US App catalog access including paid apps! If you waste $10 or $20 bucks in the process, it is still a small price to pay.

- After the acct is funded, use your PC or MAC to go online to the go-phone web site. Set up an online acct to manage your go-phone account (ie add funds, choose feature pkgs, buy ringtones etc etc. The only reason you are doing this PIA step is to ensure you have data features activated on your prepaid SIM before you try to use it to activate your Pre 2 and set up your Palm Profile.

-There are two things you want to do after you set up the online go-phone management account
    a). Choose your prepaid voice/text plan (if the rep didn't do it for you, if so, then proceed to b ....)
    AND
    b). Choose a data feature package. With the prepaid $2 per day unlimited talk and text plan you'll have two data packages (called feature packages) to choose from, the $4.99 for 1 MB of data feature package or the $19.99 for 100 MB feature package. I cannot answer whether 1 MB will be enough to activate and set up your Palm Profile or not, maybe someone else can. If so it will keep you from blowing the additional $15. if you don't care, then take the $19.99 plan (providing you finded your go -phone acct with $22.00 or more ($2 for the first day and $19.99 for the data pkg.

- Once you have reached this point, you are good to go, ready to activate your Pre 2. Take that newly purchased and activated go-phone SIM card, pop it into your new Pre 2 while here in the USA, proceed to activate the device and create your new Palm Profile for it.

- Once activation and Palm Profile setup is completed, you can power off the unlocked Pre 2 and insert any SIM card of your choice without losing full US app catalog access including paid apps.

As for that AT&T Go-Phone SIM card, you can do whatever you like with it, toss it, burn it, or if you have funds left remaining, you can use them up before you leave the USA. After 30 days, any funds remaining on the account will disappear if they are not used up (ie; no longer be available - prepaid plans are generally based on continuous monthly service), and after 90 days of inactivity or use, the account can be closed by the carrier, the number gets deactivated so it can be returned to the pool of available numbers after another 30 or 60 days (unless you fund the account with $100 - in that case the account will not be deactivated for a year, as long as there is an unused account balance remaining.

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    If you want the full US app catalog for sure with no doubts, then go to an AT&T Store here in the USA, buy a Go-Phone Pre-Paid SIM card.

TTB
    Thank you!!! I've been calling ATT trying to get past their automated voicemail to talk to a human being about how to set up a Pre 2. This saved me a lot of time. Now I just have to decide, ATT or Rogers. If I have to return the phone (which, as we all know, could very easily happen.) It will make a difference. And I've got to decide fast.

If anyone wants to chime in on the choice, feel free.

Quote Originally Posted by richip View Post
    I have a Pre 2 from HP and can't seem to access the commercial App Catalog. The things is, I first used it with my Bell SIM. I tried removing my Palm Profile, wiping the phone and activating with the Rogers SIM card in, but I still can't get access to the commercial App Catalog. So I don't know if buying a US Pre 2 from HP would get you the apps.
    Dude, it pays to read the forums about this. Because of the way that HP deals with carriers, you need to activate the phone with a carrier that has the Pre 2 for sale, or with a carrier here in the US.

Should HP have anticipated this? Let's be honest with ourselves. The number of people who want the Pre 2 are small. The number of people who want the Pre 2 on Bell, in Canada... well, you get the picture.

It goes to show how good WebOS is that I'm jumping through freakin hoops to get back to my beloved card interface.

What I'd suggest is that you return the phone to HP with the complaint that the app catalogue doesn't work. (Which is true) When you get the new phone, get an american friend, or get to an American border town, and do what Top Tongue just suggested.
    Thank you!!! I've been calling ATT trying to get past their automated voicemail to talk to a human being about how to set up a Pre 2. This saved me a lot of time. Now I just have to decide, ATT or Rogers. If I have to return the phone (which, as we all know, could very easily happen.) It will make a difference. And I've got to decide fast.

If anyone wants to chime in on the choice, feel free.
    Chiming in. If you are going to be using the device in Canada, and you plan on using Rogers as your provider when back in Canada KEEP THE ROGERS DEVICE. You'll have all of the customizations Rogers has added to the device available for use. If it isn't unlocked yet, then either meta doctor it to temporarily allow you access in order to perform the NextGen unlock process prior to activation, or you can use one of the many other unlocking solutions that have become available recently. Personally, I can only vouch for NextGen's unlock process because I've used them many times and their customer service is top notch. As far as unlocking goes, I don't care to risk having any of the hassles I'd be opening the door to by switching to an unverified unlock provider. Other PreCentral members might be able to vouch for other unlock providers, and that's great. Gives you more options, but personally, I can only vouch for NextGen, and the services they provide.

Unlocked devices work with any carriers SIM card, so once unlocked (if it isn't already), your Pre 2 will be able to use any SIM card for activation.

Theree is some merit to getting an unlocked North American Pre 2 in your situation. First, It would offer you hassle free activation using the AT&T go-phone sim card right out of the box. It will also work with a Rogers SIM card right out of the box with a Rogers SIM card inserted (Don't ignore the fact you want to have a full us app catalog available to you so you're going to put the Rogers SIM card in only after you've activated with the AT&T SIM card before you even think about using the device with the Rogers SIM card inserted.

Although you may welcome the thought of easy multi carrier usability for activation the HP unlocked device will offer you, keep in mind that you'll be sacrificing Rogers carrier customizations by going that route.

Thanks,
    Barry
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  18.    #18  
    Thanks again. Very good advice. I don't plan on moving to Rogers until my Bell plan runs out. I've got unlimited Data at a crazy price. Even with my Bell Sim card. So I'm not moving.

And I'm sure the Rogers customizations won't work on Bell. That doesn't bother me.

I'm leaning towards getting the device here. From what I understand, I can take the Bell sim card out of my Droid Pro and reset it over the internet on the Bell Website for the Pre. I am now googling ATT stores here in St. Louis. Hmmm.

Before I pull the trigger I'm going to give it more thought. Make sure I've thought it through. Anyone with any more advice, you are welcome to chime in.

And richip, I take it back. I hope I didn't sound too harsh. I'm actually finding the search function on this subject in the forums has some... challenges shall we say. Don't get me wrong, I love the forums, but I find choosing the right words to get the right results on this topic hard for some reason.

I've been trying to find links in the forums to Rogers Pre 2 owners and I've had no luck. I'm gonna keep trying though.

If anyone can find a link that I can't, please, link me!
    Thanks again. Very good advice. I don't plan on moving to Rogers until my Bell plan runs out. I've got unlimited Data at a crazy price. Even with my Bell Sim card. So I'm not moving.

And I'm sure the Rogers customizations won't work on Bell. That doesn't bother me.

I'm leaning towards getting the device here. From what I understand, I can take the Bell sim card out of my Droid Pro and reset it over the internet on the Bell Website for the Pre. I am now googling ATT stores here in St. Louis. Hmmm.

Before I pull the trigger I'm going to give it more thought. Make sure I've thought it through. Anyone with any more advice, you are welcome to chime in.
    One last chime from me.

Now that I am clear on your current carrier situation with Bell in Canada, and that you won't be switching to Rogers for awhile:

1). I recommend you purchase the North American Pre 2 unlocked GSM , direct from HP's web site (You won't find a Pre 2 at any AT&T store or web site, at least not yet, and maybe not ever (The GSM Veer release is right around the corner ... hopefully).

2). Once you receive the Pre 2 from HP, follow the instructions in my earlier post for activation and profile setup using an AT&T prepaid Go-Phone SIM card while you're physically here in the USA, before heading to Canada with the device. Activating this way should get you full USA app catalog access including all paid apps no matter what SIM card you put into the Pre 2 after that activation/initial profile setup. This includes Bell or Rogers carrier SIM cards up in Canada. Plus, since you purchased an unlocked device from HP to begin with, you won't need to worry about unlocking it later on.

Regards,
    Barry