If you want the full US app catalog for sure with no doubts, then go to an AT&T Store here in the USA, buy a Go-Phone Pre-Paid SIM card.
Originally Posted by chickenlump
- Open the go-phone account with $20 or $22 (see below to understand) or the minimum required if more than that. The AT&T Rep may or may not set up your pre-paid plan for you. If they do, choose the $2 per day unlimited talk and text prepaid plan. You pay $2 the first call you make on any given day. You'll probably only use this account one day (don't tell them that!).
- Some of the remaining funds left on your go-phone account balance will be used for data during Pre 2 activation and Palm Profile set-up. That will be explained more clearly in the next step. Unfortunately the rest of your initial funding $$ to the acct may go unused and wasted. If you really care then find a way to use them for voice at $2 per day or for data after you activate your Pre 2 before heading north to Canada. Remember, you are following this process with one goal in mind, to set your device up with permenent full US App catalog access including paid apps! If you waste $10 or $20 bucks in the process, it is still a small price to pay.
- After the acct is funded, use your PC or MAC to go online to the go-phone web site. Set up an online acct to manage your go-phone account (ie add funds, choose feature pkgs, buy ringtones etc etc. The only reason you are doing this PIA step is to ensure you have data features activated on your prepaid SIM before you try to use it to activate your Pre 2 and set up your Palm Profile.
-There are two things you want to do after you set up the online go-phone management account
a). Choose your prepaid voice/text plan (if the rep didn't do it for you, if so, then proceed to b ....)
b). Choose a data feature package. With the prepaid $2 per day unlimited talk and text plan you'll have two data packages (called feature packages) to choose from, the $4.99 for 1 MB of data feature package or the $19.99 for 100 MB feature package. I cannot answer whether 1 MB will be enough to activate and set up your Palm Profile or not, maybe someone else can. If so it will keep you from blowing the additional $15. if you don't care, then take the $19.99 plan (providing you finded your go -phone acct with $22.00 or more ($2 for the first day and $19.99 for the data pkg.
- Once you have reached this point, you are good to go, ready to activate your Pre 2. Take that newly purchased and activated go-phone SIM card, pop it into your new Pre 2 while here in the USA, proceed to activate the device and create your new Palm Profile for it.
- Once activation and Palm Profile setup is completed, you can power off the unlocked Pre 2 and insert any SIM card of your choice without losing full US app catalog access including paid apps.
As for that AT&T Go-Phone SIM card, you can do whatever you like with it, toss it, burn it, or if you have funds left remaining, you can use them up before you leave the USA. After 30 days, any funds remaining on the account will disappear if they are not used up (ie; no longer be available - prepaid plans are generally based on continuous monthly service), and after 90 days of inactivity or use, the account can be closed by the carrier, the number gets deactivated so it can be returned to the pool of available numbers after another 30 or 60 days (unless you fund the account with $100 - in that case the account will not be deactivated for a year, as long as there is an unused account balance remaining.