1.    #1  
    I would like to buy my phone (Palm Pre 2) outright, without a 2-year agreement from Verizon. Where is the best & cheapest place to look? Also any recommendation as to a low cost service?
    I believe either HP or Verizon sells the Verizon Pre 2 for $410. Or you could definitely check eBay.
    From what I've seen, through either HP or VZW there is a no-contract option. But it still requires you activate the phone on VZW to purchase, and it's steep. I think it was like $400-something through HP wireless sans contract.

There's a few up for auction on eBay with no obligation I believe.
    Oh... and as for service I think the only US options are AT&T using an unlocked GSM version from HP Wireless Central or the VZW one if you don't get all hackey and put together a Sprint Pre 2 by hand (difficult, expensive and hard to update as of today). So whichever of those has better plans and service in your area.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Check Craigslist and eBay. I just got a brand new VZW Pre 2 with Touchstone for $250. Otherwise you're going to pay 400+ because you have to activate the phone.

You can purchase for $309 with a pre-paid account, but you're forced to pay for service. So $35 activation and min. $70 for service plus $309
  6.    #6  
    I'm sorry but I'm a novice at this; I'm totally confused about buying a palm pre 2 phone independently then getting service from other than the big companies. Besides their monthly services fees, will there be other charges (i.e. activation, etc.)?
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    i just bought the p2, off contract. i found one on craigslist for $350, so i looked at the hp palm store and vzw. vzw was cheapest of the two. the reason i didnt get the one off of craigslist was i figured for tat price ill just get a new one.
    I own a verizon store (see my thread). My Personal Cost is $374 no tax. IF you want it lmk. IMO Id get it on a 1 year contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by 815dukest View Post
    I'm sorry but I'm a novice at this; I'm totally confused about buying a palm pre 2 phone independently then getting service from other than the big companies. Besides their monthly services fees, will there be other charges (i.e. activation, etc.)?
    DO you already have verizon? If you already have verizon than there is no activation fee; etc. If you don't, even if you provide the equipment there is still an activation fee.