Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. iii
    The PDF viewer has been broken since they updated us to WebOS 1.4.5. Amazingly, it's still broken on WebOS 2.0.1 !!

Does anyone know if it works on WebOS 2.1 ?

I don't know why they bother bundling the phone with the PDF viewer. You expect it to work but it doesn't! Palm acknowledges the issue. When I called tech support, they said some PDF's will not open depending on how they were created. They said not to worry...it will be fixed on the next update. Well...there was no update on the Pre Plus...and it's still broken on the Pre 2 !!!

The gang that couldn't shoot straight!!
    I'm on my VZW Pre 2, which I believe is 2.0. I just downloaded a 30 page PDF file and am browsing around, zooming in and out, etc. It's working fine for me unless I'm missing something.
  3. iii
    You're not missing anything. Some files open and some don't. If you use the PDF viewer on a regular basis, the phone will apologize to you and give you a rendering error message on some PDF's. Others will open. It depends on how they were created. It's very frustrating if you receive PDF's all the time by email. You have no control on how they were created and you can't view them.
    I would also appreciate some more reports on this. Results for the GPS for pre2 are encouraging, I hope there are similar improvements for pdf as those were my 2 main complaints.

Please indicate whether you have a Pre2 or a pre+ running 2.x also.
    I use several PDF files for work that reliably crash the PDF viewer on both 1.4.5 (Pre+) and 2.0.1 (Pre2). I haven't had any crashes yet since putting 2.1.0 on the Pre+, so it /seems/ to be better in that respect.
  6. iii
    The question is...did you get lucky...or did they really fix it in WebOS 2.1. Keep us posted.
    God I would love a full editing suite sometime soon. Even if it was $20.. Totally worth it..
  8. iii
    Well...can anyone confirm if the viewer is fixed on WebOS 2.1. I can't take the plunge if the PDF viewer is still broken.

Palm Pre 2, unlocked GSM, UMTS / EU device

After OTA upgrade 2.0.1. to 2.1 my PDF viewer doesnīt work. The same files could be opened before without any problem. Deinstalling the PDF-Redux patch didnīt have any effect yet.

Is anyone with a solution around here?

Thanks, Dirk
  10. iii
    Well...I can't say I'm surprised. The question is, are they even attempting to fix it ?!?

Will the Pre 3 have a PDF viewer that works....? I wouldn't bet on it.

WebOS is really good....but it won't be around too much longer if they keep bungling it.
    Having 2.1 running on and pre minus. The PDF viewer generally works. I download 10 pdf files from different sources and 9 of them works without any issue and the last one will reboot my pre.
  12. iii
    Is there any way to get HP to stand up and notice..?

At least some official word on what they plan to do about this issue would be helpful.
    I use several PDF documents on my phone. I could not access most of them on my Sprint Pre after the 1.4.5 update. I just picked up a Pre 2 and updated to 2.1. So far, I am able to access all my PDF docs.

I believe that HP/Palm is well aware of the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by iii View Post
    ...clip...
    Will the Pre 3 have a PDF viewer that works....? I wouldn't bet on it.
    It also works on my gsm Pre2.
    My usual batch of PDFs that failed to work on 1.4.5 and 2.0.1 are working fine on 2.1.0
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I hammer on HPalm all the time (behind the scenes on their support site) about the failures of this app.

I like to point out the fact that many of the Pre User Guides hosted on HPalm's website produce the "Render Document Failed" error every time!

For example, try opening the Verizon Pre Plus User guide. It craps out every time on my Pre2

WyreNut
    Last edited by WyreNut; 03/18/2011 at 07:08 PM.
    Pre2/3/TouchPad, and TouchDroid user.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I cant belive the issue is not fixed. I've had palm pre- since july of opening year, and 2 years later palm didnt fix it. what are they waiting for?

I hear all this talk on the frontpage how business should look to hp for the touchpad etc. but If this issue doesnt get fixed, what can we do?
    Quote Originally Posted by joejoe1 View Post
    I cant belive the issue is not fixed. I've had palm pre- since july of opening year, and 2 years later palm didnt fix it. what are they waiting for?

I hear all this talk on the frontpage how business should look to hp for the touchpad etc. but If this issue doesnt get fixed, what can we do?
    My VZ Pre 2 will only open some PDFs, larger files don't seem to open, although I can't say that is always true since that is just my situation. I'm not buying any more webOS products until HPalm starts supporting what's already out there ...

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
    My VZ Pre 2 will only open some PDFs, larger files don't seem to open, although I can't say that is always true since that is just my situation. I'm not buying any more webOS products until HPalm starts supporting what's already out there ...

mine too. it's just awful.

Have you let the screen turn off while reading a pdf? If that happens, the program freezes, no more page turning or zooming in/out. I will have to restart the app. I can't believe there isnt an easy update to that bug which has been around since i can remember. Downright sad for a so called "business phone" as front page writers like to recommend it as.
    I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the pdf viewer is based on an open source product which the owners of which sued Palm over. The fact is that they may not be allowed during the lawsuit to update with updated open source and they may not want to spend the money to build their own with this lawsuit still pending?

I'm not 100% that the lawsuit is still pending btw.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast