Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Whenever I put my Pre 2 on my Touchstone, it'll charge for a while like normal with the black screen and time displayed, then for some reason the "battery charging" notification will start popping up over and over and over again...nonstop. Sometimes it'll do that as soon as I put it on the charger. Oddly, I switched out the back with the one from Pre Plus and it works fine. I was planning to sell my Pre Plus on Ebay, but not sure I can with a defective back.
    Does your touchstone make a barely audible hissing noise while charging your Pre? (Get a young person to listen, its like the dog whistle app on iOS/Android) If it does, the touchstone is defective, I had one like that before.
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
  3.    #3  
    It would do that on my Pre Plus, but only when it was fully charged.
    Me too...only when it was fully charged though.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Yes, this has been seen before on first gen Pre's. The problem is in the touchstone itself, an alignment when on the touchstone, or an issue with contacts not making good contact to the phone back (bend contacts up carefully for this one). One or all three of these will be a cause.
    My Pre Plus does this too. When at roughly 95% battery charge, it starts to constantly pop up this "now charging" notification (about every 5 seconds; sometimes (but rarely) only every minute) and play this "ding-dong" sound. It's really annoying. I can turn the sound off, but this doesn't prevent the "notification - no notification", "screen on - screen off" thing.
    On the other side, the Pre becomes very hot when on Touchstone - so I don't know if it would be healthy to let it rest there for longer.
    Just saw this last night on my wife's phone. Very annoying.
  8. SashoDikov
    i get this at the top of the charge as well, i think it is because of euro transformation adapters only 500a reach my pre (govnah measurements) with the original chargers

i'm thinking of shorting some usb cables to try to drive more amperage to the touchstone, but i dont have time and have learned just to take it off the TS when it approaches ding ding state
    All of you with the charging/stop charging notification, put a piece of paper between your Pre and the touchstone and see if it keeps happening. I had that problem and that fixed it. (Yes it's a dumb fix, I know)
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Have this same issue, really annoying. And wondering if this also will make Exhibition Mode useless for me when it arrives for the Pre 2. I will try the paper trick, even though that sounds a bit "dumb", as you say...
    When I had my Pre- from Bell, I had a defective touchstone (or) back, I exchanged them and it worked flawlessly after that.

When I had the defective touchstone, the paper trick worked for me, but it is impractical. Also if you like ripping things apart, I'm pretty sure you could add the piece of paper between the charging coil and the battery door.
    Same thing here, it happens after it fully charges though.

It's as if when it fully charges, it stops charging... then as the battery drains minutely, it sets off the charging again and it just cycles.

That's my theory anyway. It's very annoying
    I had the same issue, but after replacing the USB-cable, everything is back to normal.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I tried a different cable and transformer that work with another touchstone. Also I have the same problem on two different Pre2s only with this touchstone. The touchstone itself seems at fault.

The paper trick works which suggests there's an issue with inductance from the touchstone to the phone. Maybe the frequency is slightly off or there's something wrong physically with the way the touchstone was put together.

Changing the cable or transformer might shift the frequency based on the voltage supplied and fix the issue in some cases, but not mine.

Trying to decide whether to bother shipping this one back or just ordering another while VZW has them cheap. :/
    I also get this issue. *I've had 2 Pres (Pre Plus and Pre 2) *and 2 touchstones (the first I bought from the*Precentral.net*store, then had replaced because of this issue, and the replacement one doesn't work either) *Right now I have a thin cloth covering the dock to stop the issue temporarily, I'll try put a bit of paper inside the back cover, but if that doesn't work, what component should I look into replacing?

I'm situated in Australia so sending anything back to the US is a real expensive and time consuming chore, especially if it doesn't guarantee to fix it. *

Also to be aware, I'm using a transformer to let the US power socket connect into my Australian power point. *Could this be the issue, if so, what's the fix, do I have to get a more expensive adaptor?

Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Just a quick add to this thread.....if this effect starts happening when it didn't previously happen, then swap the transformer.

I had this situation about three weeks ago, i.e. worked fine for over six months, and then started "boing-ing", and swapping the transformer solved it. Much cheaper than replacing the Touchstone.

Andrew
    New Touchstones are around $10-$15 on ebay...
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    Also to be aware, I'm using a transformer to let the US power socket connect into my Australian power point. *Could this be the issue, if so, what's the fix, do I have to get a more expensive adaptor?
    You might start by trying a good quality adapter that goes directly from Aussie power to USB out.

There's a good set of pictures of a touchstone torn down here but they really don't tell you anything about how to get the thing apart. I'm actually surprised at how far from the charging surface the coil sits.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    New Touchstones are around $10-$15 on ebay...
    I wouldn't recommend ebay. If you get a dodgy touchstone, replacing it with a seller on ebay may be very hard.

Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Taking apart and putting together the touchstone is pretty easy, you just have to avoid cutting those fiddly little wires.
    autocorrect SUCKS, it just corrected 'fiddly' to 'middle' and refused to let me change it back.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast