1.    #1  
    I am travelling to the US (West Coast) for a week and want to use my unlocked Canadian Pre 2 for both voice and data.

Can I just pick up a SIM card in the US, and pop it in my phone or do I need to to do more than that?

Do they have pay as you go SIM cards for voice and data? Suggestions for a good place to get one?

Any information appreciated.

Mike
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Both T-Mobile and AT&T have prepaid SIM cards. AT&T will give you a faster connection (3G) but it's data rates are much higher than T-Mobile which can be $1.49 a day.
  3.    #3  
    Can I buy these at any store? (Walmart, etc)

Thanks, Mike
    Prepaids can be found at most electronic stores and hell even gas stations. Also Carrier stores have them too which like Starbucks are at every corner.

Point to bring out with tmobile sims is that you will only get 2G data speeds tops since they use euro bands for 3G.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by msilverton View Post
    I am travelling to the US (West Coast) for a week and want to use my unlocked Canadian Pre 2 for both voice and data.

Can I just pick up a SIM card in the US, and pop it in my phone or do I need to to do more than that?

Do they have pay as you go SIM cards for voice and data? Suggestions for a good place to get one?

Any information appreciated.

Mike
    Once in the USA, you can stop by any AT&T Retail store and purchase a Go-Phone pre-paid SIM card without purchasing a device with it. I recommend you purchase it and first add $$ to the account. Pre-Paid go phone accounts are comprised of three separate components, the voice plan, the messaging feature, and the data feature. The cost for each of these components is what's deducted from your go-phone account balance.

1). First, make sure you have enough money added to your new Go Phone account to cover your planned usage for the week. This monitary amount will depend on which plan and feature packages you feel will serve your needs best.

2). After your go-phone account is funded, THEN choose the voice plan. Charges you incur based on the voice plan you choose will be deducted from the go phone account on a daily basis. There are several different voice plans to choose from. My guess is the $2.00 per day unlimited use plan may serve your needs. $2.00 will be deducted from your go-phone account balance when you make the first voice call on any given day. If you don't happen to make a voice call on any given day, your go-phone account is not dinged for the $2 bucks that day.

3). Choose the messaging and data "feature packages" that best serve you. Keep in mind these "feature packages" are based on 30 day usage and expire after 30 days whether you use the feature or not. If you have 10 MB left after 30 days and you don't add another data package before the 30th day, then those 10 MB are gone. If you add a data package before the 30th day any unused portion of your previous data package purchase rolls over and is added to the amount included with your latest purchase. There's several messaging and data "feature packages" you can choose from.

*** Keep in mind whatever messaging and data packages you decide to purchase, the cost of that package is deducted from the amount you funded or have available in your Go-Phone account. That's why I advise you to figure out what voice plan, messaging package, and data package serves your needs for the week, then fund your go-phone account appropriately first before adding the voice plan and feature packages.

An example of initial funding I recommend you add to your go-phone account based on the $2.00 per day voice plan, 200 text messaging feature option, with the 1GB data feature option looks like this:

$14.00 Voice (You make voice calls each of the seven days)
    $5.00 Text messaging ( 200 text msg's feature package)
    $25.00 (1GB data feature package)
    $44.00 for the week (I suspect they will sell you the $50 go phone card)

Reducing your data usage can save you $10

$14.00 Voice
    $5.00 Messaging, 200 text messages
    $15.00 (100MB data feature package)
    $34.00 for the week (The $35.00 or $40 card will suffice)

Either way, it's a lot cheaper than roaming charges for voice and data would be using your Canadian carriers SIMM card!

Hope this helped.
    TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  6.    #6  
    >Hope this helped.
    >TTB

Immensely.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Small update, AT&T has a 2 dollar a day plan for UNLIMITED talk and UNLIMITED text only on the days you use it. I could only see the data plans as 1 MB $4.99/mo
    100 MB $19.99/mo to be added on top of the prepaid plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
    Small update, AT&T has a 2 dollar a day plan for UNLIMITED talk and UNLIMITED text only on the days you use it. I could only see the data plans as 1 MB $4.99/mo
    100 MB $19.99/mo to be added on top of the prepaid plans.
    The choices you'll have available for "feature options" have been known to vary depending on which voice plan you're signed up for. Yes, with the Go-Phone $2.00 per day unlimited talk and text, there's only two choices available to add for data features, the 1 MB for $4.99 and the 100MB for $19.99.

Its a good idea to check your usage online or by dialing 611 from your phone when you have any data feature added. Much cheaper to add 1 MB, 100 MB, or 1GB (if applicable) before you run out then it is to pay by the kb for your overage. Using up your prepaid data features data and continuing data use without purchasing another data feature package is a sure fire way to sap any remainig funds out of your go-phone account. One day out of the blue, you'll be surprised and suddenly forced to add funds in order to cover a $2.00 daily voice fee so you can make a call. Overage fees charged by the kb are deducted from your Go-Phone account balance as you use them, on the fly, the same way purchases of messaging and data features are deducted at the time you order them.

Will 100 MB be enough to cover your data use for a week, that's impossible for anyone but you to determine. Based on my own usage, I can give you some insight. Without streaming more than a tidbit or two of video, and doing one or two downloads a month from You Tube, I use around 350 MB of data per month That's for email, web browsing which I do some of each day, and of course the Palm Profile backups and cloud updates which happen automatically. These days my usage is different than it used to be. Now-a-days, I stream video daily and download videos from You Tube on a regular basis. This pattern of use has brought my usage up to 1.5 GB of data per month.

From what I can tell based on tracking of my prior and current data use, I suspect you can get by with 100 MB for the week as long as you refrain for streaming any video, stream a minimal amount of audio ( i mean minimal as in avoid it if you can), and don't download any videos from You Tube. If you can live within these basic constraints, you can probably get by with the 100 MB data feature for the week. You may find after a day or two of checking you r use that you have enough padding to do more thngs like stream audio and maybe a little video here and there. Just remember to check your data usage daily so if you find you are close to running out, you can reup by adding a data package before your current allotment is wiped out.

Barry
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 02/24/2011 at 07:45 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    us data flat sim of prepaid-global tested

worked very good Ė flatrates convinced Ė sim already activated Ė just insert and surf:

USA Prepaid

http://www.prepaid-global.de/usa-amerika.html

an micro sim for ipad and iphone 4 and iphone4s also available.

unfortunately my german hardware just allows 2 g speed edge, not the possible 3g.
    But it is suitable foe emails, skype voip talking, facebook, surfing the web and navigation by ipad or smartphone
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Yes,International SIM Cards reduce your cost of roaming by as much as 90% depending on the provider you use. These cards also allow you to receive free incoming calls in many countries. You can get international SIM Card for USA for your USA tour. It costs very low price than anyother international sim card. Also they are providing very good cusomer care services through online also.