webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Page Plus Cellular
Page Plus Cellular

Old 02/22/2011, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Will an unlocked Palm Pre 2 work on Page Plus Cellular's system? I asked them but couldn't get a straight answer.
815dukest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2011, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

try howardforums.com as some folks there are experts. Pre 2 just came out on Verizon so you may need to wait...
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2011, 02:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815dukest View Post
Will an unlocked Palm Pre 2 work on Page Plus Cellular's system? I asked them but couldn't get a straight answer.
Here's the answer you seek.
On the surface, it may appear to be bad news initially, however there's a silver lining if you happen to be a Page Plus customer who's doing the asking:

NO, an unlocked Pre 2 will NOT work on Page Plus's network. Unlocking refers to a process allowing SIM card based devices to work on any GSM/UTMS/LTE network. These types of networks "generally" utilize devices that rely on SIM cards for customer and account identification purposes. A SIM card can be moved from one "unlocked" or carrier specific GSM/UTMS/LTE device to another bringing the customer phone number and account information along for the ride ( .... the ride from from GSM device to GSM device, to GSM device .... sorry, was a feeble attempt at making ingestion of this info a little less dry for you).

The silver lining:
Page Plus's network is based on CDMA/EVDO technology.
Page Plus devices I've been told, just so happen to have ESN's tied to Verizon's 3G EVDO and CDMA network. A couple of friends from the east coast visited recently and brought their recently activated Verizon Pre Plus's on Page Plus with them. They mentioned these Verizon Pre Plus's were purchased brand new, off contract direct from Verizon Wireless, They said Page Plus activated them right out of the box, no flashing was required.

I've seen them use those Pre Plus's but haven't done any further research on Page Plus as of yet. Don't know the company's origins, or the type of entity it currently is (for example whether it's an independent CLEC piggy backing on Verizon's 3G CDMA network, or possibly a wholly owned subsidiary of Verizon, that resulted from the transfer of another carrier's regional assets sometimes mandated by the FCC/FTC as a condition for approval of a recent merger or other business activity.

Since the Verizon Pre Plus can be activated on Page Plus, it stands to reason that a Verizon Pre 2 can be activated as well. It just so happens that Verizon began offering the Pre 2 this past week. Page Plus customers, there's your silver lining!

TTB

Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 02/23/2011 at 02:49 AM.
TopTongueBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2011, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the in-depth response, anything new on this item since the time of it's posting?
815dukest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 07:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Anyone have a good experience with this? 2gb on vz with the awesome pre 2 is very nice
dontsh00tmesanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/02/2012, 11:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815dukest View Post
Thanks for the in-depth response, anything new on this item since the time of it's posting?
Following up, as a former Verizon customer, I can assure you PagePlus DOES work on Pre 2 devices. I just activated it today.

The activation process is EXACTLY similar to the Palm Pixi+ with Verizon. As the walkthrough stresses repeatedly, you are 100% on your own for support and customer service. If for some reason you can't activate the phone (which can happen), they're not liable. (Activation costs $10, and gives you $2 talk time to see if it works or not.)

The process is here: Kitty's Palm Pixi Plus Information
I ran it on my backup Pre2 and it worked. I'm using Talk n' Text 1200 and have shut off Cellular Data.

To shut off Cell Data: Open Dialer App, tap Verizon Wireless menu, Preferences, Cellular Data set to OFF. Do this RIGHT AFTER Activation, and when reactivating the phone, check that Cellular Data remains off, as you have 100 MB a month on the TnT 1200 plan. If you use a lot of data, this can be exhausted QUICKLY before consuming your remaining cash balance at $1/MB. (I use wifi primarily, so I have no need for it.) "The 55" plan gives 2GB of data for $55, which is more ideal. (There is no middle tier between The 55 and any of the 100MB plans.) Prepaid Mobile Plans | Cellular Prepaid Plans
rennock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 07:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

yes... I have the pre paid plan.. Everything works as expected...
mcjj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 09:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm digging PagePlus. I'm using "The 12" plan- 250 min, 250 text, $12. Since I have Wifi most places I'm at, it's perfect for me.

My wife and I cut our phone bills from $180 for three phones with Verizon to about $59 by switching to Page Plus and a VOIP phone.
Radon_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/03/2012, 10:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

<threads merged>
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2012, 10:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yes, the Pre 2 works great on Page Plus. I've been using one for a while now, after using a Pixi Plus for quite a few months first.

Don't pay anyone to "activate" the phone for you. Just call Page Plus customer support and have it done for FREE! You even get the $2 balance to make a test call.
Dr. Aquafresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2012, 05:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Yeah, you can ignore the Kitty Wireless scare stories about how terrible it is to deal with Page Plus on your own, it's really easy to deal with Page Plus and there's no need to pay Kitty Wireless $10 to activate your phone. You can do it faster and easier and for FREE on your won. I've always gotten real live, polite and knowledgeable human beings within 5 or 10 minutes at most. Page Plus is a great company!
perryoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2012, 11:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

I guess I will chime in... I just ported over my wife's cell from ye olde Palm Centro (VZW) to Pre 2, using Page Plus... it hasn't been a week yet... so far so good. I started her off on the $29.95 plan because I wasn't sure how much data we'd be using, especially with such a faster piece of hardware compared to the Centro. We are not the typical big data hogs... so I may eventually change down to a $12/month plan.

One thing, and maybe I should post this as a general question in the main Pre2 forum?.... the built in media player isn't the most compatible. 2 different WMV videos... one of them can play, other doesn't. Besides the $2 KalemSoft Media player.... are there any other good video/media player apps anyone can recommend?
Thanks.
kcpalm2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 01:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

I havent been on here in a while, I recently reactivated my Pre2 for my dad to try smartphones. I went through kitty wireless. on ebay you can get a $.99 activation with $2 for credits. I didnt know about Page Plus doing it for free. I then went with the $12 plan so he can try the wifi at home, and texts and phone out n about.

I just wanted people to know that on the 31st of October, the plans are going from 100mb to 250 mb and the prices are staying the same. I think it is a great deal.!
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 02:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
I havent been on here in a while, I recently reactivated my Pre2 for my dad to try smartphones. I went through kitty wireless. on ebay you can get a $.99 activation with $2 for credits. I didnt know about Page Plus doing it for free. I then went with the $12 plan so he can try the wifi at home, and texts and phone out n about.

I just wanted people to know that on the 31st of October, the plans are going from 100mb to 250 mb and the prices are staying the same. I think it is a great deal.!
Thank God for that bump to 250mb. I had to put in $10 for an extra 100mb 'cause the background apps on the Pre2/Pre3 will eat that first 100 in no time. Each nightly back-up to Palm will set you back 4-5 megs if you have a lot of stuff. I do love me some Page Plus, though.
Should I disagree with you, you shall hear Ezekiel 25:17
fatclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2012, 01:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatclue View Post
Thank God for that bump to 250mb. I had to put in $10 for an extra 100mb 'cause the background apps on the Pre2/Pre3 will eat that first 100 in no time. Each nightly back-up to Palm will set you back 4-5 megs if you have a lot of stuff. I do love me some Page Plus, though.
PPC here, $30 plan. I had been toggling the data between on and off each time out of fear that some background process would eat up my data, but since I've been leaving it enabled no such thing has happened and I've actually had to work hard to burn through my data (2 days and 220 MB left on my current cycle). What are some examples of apps/background processes that will burn through data?
webosinjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2013, 06:52 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webosinjun View Post
PPC here, $30 plan. I had been toggling the data between on and off each time out of fear that some background process would eat up my data, but since I've been leaving it enabled no such thing has happened and I've actually had to work hard to burn through my data (2 days and 220 MB left on my current cycle). What are some examples of apps/background processes that will burn through data?
Palm's back up can burn through data pretty quick. You probably want to disable that, especially if you are doctoring to a version of webos not officially supported by palm for your device since the backup tends to not restore correctly anyway.

set your email to accounts to check for new mail in longer intervals. If you have you accounts set to get mail as items arrive, that can go though data a little faster.

aside from that, keep an eye on your apps. Each one can have different settings for how much data they use. If an app is add supported, data will be used to pull the ad while you are using the app.
xortenterprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: mosca01
Old 02/02/2013, 11:01 AM   #17 (permalink)

xOrt,

Somethings eating up my data since I left Verizon and switched to Page Plus....

How do you disable the Palm profile back up? I went to the app menu in the "Backup" app but did not see an option to disable that...
mosca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2013, 07:34 PM   #18 (permalink)

If anyone knows how to disable the Palm profile nightly back up can you post it? My data usage has been over 30 MB over the last 11 days, something is eating it up in the background as I've only been using wi-fi... want to give this disable a try.
Old 02/06/2013, 07:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

You should be able to turn it off from the Backup app. Or disable your data when you're not using the phone.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: mosca01
Old 02/06/2013, 07:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

Got it thanks, there is an on/off toggle @ the top right.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0