1.    #1  
    of all the features of webOS 2.x, the Text Assist feature may actually be the one I benefit the most from. Stacks are cool, but not a huge benefit over the existing cards. Just Type is nice, but again I was cool with Universal Search. And Exhibition Mode is gimmicky to me, since I don't anticipate looking at my Pre while it's charging too much.

But I was surprised out how sparse the Text Assist dictionary is. I've had to add relatively common words, such as "dunk", "hiccup", "texting", "texted", and "valentine" just to name a few. come on Palm, how do you manage to leave out "texting" from a text assist dictionary, when the bulk of the time it'd actually be used is while someone is texting!!

I feel like HP Palm bring so many cool, evolutionary features to the table yet finds a way to shoot itself in the foot time and time again by not getting the simple things right (whether it be this, or true email search capabilities, the ability to search text within a web page, the half-assed synergy implementation, or the lack of microphone support nearly 2 years after its original webOS release).
    Eh the text assist dictionary has always been a little weak. However I don't think it's nearly as important when you have a physical keyboard as when you have a virtual one.

If you make a mistake you pretty much know you did on a physical keyboard, you'll probably correct it instinctively like on a full sized keyboard. A virtual keyboard without assist will quickly create garbage, and you could be completely oblivious.

So it seems to reason.... there are probably more important things they had to spend their time on.... I would imagine we'll have a sufficient dictionary in 3.0, and it could possibly be translated to 2.x, until then, simply type like you're using a real keyboard.
    man,u have a physical keyboard. I wouldn't want my dictionary to come preloaded with much. 9 times out of 10, if I spell something wrong, it was intentional.
  4.    #4  
    not the point. if you have Text Assist enabled and it doesn't have a substantial dictionary, then it will many times try to correct words that are actually relatively common words. You're left either adding these words that HP should have included in the dictionary in the first place or turn off Text Assist completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinespending View Post
    not the point. if you have Text Assist enabled and it doesn't have a substantial dictionary, then it will many times try to correct words that are actually relatively common words. You're left either adding these words that HP should have included in the dictionary in the first place or turn off Text Assist completely.
    But the fact that you CAN add your own words as well as create your own custom shortcuts to speed things along is fantastic and is missing from stock Android (it was not present on the Epic anyway). I found it in some messaging apps but that didn't carry over to other services. With webOS it is both native and universal.

With that said, I agree there are some words and terms that should have been included. The funniest one I have seen is wifi gets corrected to wife. It has made for a number of very funny SMS, Tweets and email messages.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    It does suck at first and will continue to suck unless you add the words in. Tap on the +word to add it in the list. Its a learning curve for the system but once done it will not be annoying and can work to your benefit.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  7.    #7  
    again, i love the implementation. i hate the sparse dictionary. hopefully we can patch the stock dictionary to include common words that are missing.
    Here's a better complaint... the fact that this database is not back up. So, if you need to WebDoc, everything is gone. I totally love this new feature. Great innovation but it needs to be included in the HPalm profile
    I agree to an extent, but it's not like this problem is unique to webOS. Issues like this are why sites like damnyouautocorrect.com exist. For the first two months of owning an iPhone, my foul-mouthed self was always telling people about how much I hated my "ducking" job. And it wasn't even user-editable!

I agree the edited user dictionary should definitely be backed up to the Palm Profile, though.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Can the user dictionary be exported/imported?
    It is... really bad.
    One possible solution I'm considering is disabling autocorrect altogether and just adding the most commonly autocorrected words to Shortcuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    Can the user dictionary be exported/imported?
    Not yet.. Hopefully soon

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Not yet.. Hopefully soon

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I would be happy with an import/export feature!
    It may be lacking for dictionary content, but the fact that WebOS 2 has a dictionary and auto-correct and is editable and can create typing shortcuts is a huge improvement. IMO, one of the best new features of WebOS 2.

But yes, it should be backed up to your profile and hopefully one of the homebrew geeks can fix this for us.