Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I'll add my AMEN! to that. An update to the bug infested webOS 2.0.1 was needed, like yesterday.
    I'm expecting my Pre 2 today.. and I guess I haven't read the right threads.. but what bug do you speak of?
    Samsung wanted to charge all the carriers "enhancement" fees for Android 2.2 (Froyo) updates instead of considering the update "maintenance" like the rest of the manufacturers.

HP isn't sending the update to domestic users because they don't want to spend the money and they want to force people to buy the new devices. That's clear as day at this point.

1) The OS builder has to create an update that will work on a device.
    2) The manufacturer has to approve the update to make sure the hardware works properly.
    3) The carrier has to approve the update to make sure the software and hardware together work properly on the network.

In the case of Froyo on the Epic 4G.
    1) Google built Froyo to work with the Epic.
    2) Samsung altered and tested it's UI with Froyo and approved the upgrade.
    3) Samsung tried to charge Sprint something like $5/device to allow the update to be pushed... in addition to the bandwidth cost Sprint would have to pay to roll the OS out. Sprint wanted the update, but they weren't going to pay out the rear end for it.

Sprint would gladly take a webOS 2.1 update for the original Pre minus users that are screaming bloody murder right now to shut us up. HP just doesn't want to do it.
    Remember the Pre 2 have flash on 2.0.1 while the GSM Euro Pre Pluse 2.1.0 does not. This teather update must have been rushed out to quell the riot building up. Soon Americans will have the Pre 3 while the rest of world sits and waits for 6months.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Samsung wanted to charge all the carriers "enhancement" fees for Android 2.2 (Froyo) updates instead of considering the update "maintenance" like the rest of the manufacturers.

HP isn't sending the update to domestic users because they don't want to spend the money and they want to force people to buy the new devices. That's clear as day at this point.

1) The OS builder has to create an update that will work on a device.
    2) The manufacturer has to approve the update to make sure the hardware works properly.
    3) The carrier has to approve the update to make sure the software and hardware together work properly on the network.

In the case of Froyo on the Epic 4G.
    1) Google built Froyo to work with the Epic.
    2) Samsung altered and tested it's UI with Froyo and approved the upgrade.
    3) Samsung tried to charge Sprint something like $5/device to allow the update to be pushed... in addition to the bandwidth cost Sprint would have to pay to roll the OS out. Sprint wanted the update, but they weren't going to pay out the rear end for it.

Sprint would gladly take a webOS 2.1 update for the original Pre minus users that are screaming bloody murder right now to shut us up. HP just doesn't want to do it.
    You're wrong in so many ways.

1) Sprint rejected the update -- this is obvious because the 2.1 that went public today was made on February 1st. That means that HP made this version available to carriers around Feb 1st. At that time, Sprint said NO to the update.
    2) Google does not spend billions making sure OS updates work on devices. The device manufacturers have to do that much. Google makes Android, manufacturers of phones get it running on the devices.
    3) Sprint EOLd the Pre after the last OS update. The only reason we received any of those updates was because the Pre wasn't yet EOL. VZW EOLd the Pre+ months ago, and AT&T has only been around for 1 update. They probably don't care to do any more updates.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post

1) Sprint rejected the update -- this is obvious because the 2.1 that went public today was made on February 1st. That means that HP made this version available to carriers around Feb 1st. At that time, Sprint said NO to the update.
    2) Google does not spend billions making sure OS updates work on devices. The device manufacturers have to do that much. Google makes Android, manufacturers of phones get it running on the devices.
    3) Sprint EOLd the Pre after the last OS update. The only reason we received any of those updates was because the Pre wasn't yet EOL. VZW EOLd the Pre+ months ago, and AT&T has only been around for 1 update. They probably don't care to do any more updates.
    I couldn't agree more. The lack of OTA updates for legacy devices has everything to do with the carriers not wanting to spend the money to support old devices. This is why Palm should have controlled the update process themselves much like Apple. The webOS doctors are fine, but they should also have a way to do a non-destructive upgrade.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post

I was wondering why, if they had one ready Feb 1st, they didn't say, "here we got this for you too" at the big HP event. It is possible that people would have said "where's the flash! etc"?
    It is sad to not see another update before the EOL but I still don't understand why HP wouldn't release official US Pre+/- 2.1 updates via Doctor. What is to me more sad is that Pixis which were only EOLd recently, will see no love.

By the way @arthurthornton (re deving for 2.0), can you have a look at your PM inbox. I could use a second set of eyes (if you have time or inclination that is, I know you are a busy man
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12