Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. darrenf's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
       #1  
    As the proud owner of a Sprint Pre+, I'm ready to step up to a Sprint Pre2 (Thanks Rod and Co!). All of the testing I've read about here has been done on Pre2 GSM phones that had the entire back swapped with a Pre-.

    Since the original Pre- to Pre+ upgrade required just swapping the comms board, I was wondering if anyone has tried putting a Sprint Pre- comms board into a VZW Pre 2. Does it fit and function without requiring a swap of the entire back?

    -darren
  2. #2  
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

    Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    No, that was using a GSM Pre2 with a Sprint comm board and then a meta doctor created from a VZW Pre2 doctor.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    No, that was using a GSM Pre2 with a Sprint comm board and then a meta doctor created from a VZW Pre2 doctor.
    Potato, Tomato...

    I read that we could use any kind of Pre 2
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

    Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  5. #5  
    the coms board is the key. You should be able to use either. Send a PM to pastorrich1 and he will explain it.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the coms board is the key. You should be able to use either. Send a PM to pastorrich1 and he will explain it.
    The idea is that the comms board is the one that gets "activated", so, you have your Sprint board, and can "use" it on any device. Then, you slam it on your Pre 2, make some changes to the doctor, reflash your Pre2 and presto, you have a working Sprint Pre 2

    Yes, I'm being too simplistic, but it should work
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

    Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  7. #7  
    I think that's what I saiid.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think that's what I saiid.
    Indeed
    Increasing the post count
    Feel free to slash my posts
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

    Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  9. #9  
  10. #10  
    No hair-pulling or scratching, girls!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    No, that was using a GSM Pre2 with a Sprint comm board and then a meta doctor created from a VZW Pre2 doctor.
    Yes, it was a GSM Pre 2, but I am fairly certain the base Dr is the WR Dr. The files from the VZW Dr. that are necessary are two firmware update files.

    The reason you wouldn't use the VZW Dr. is that installing the VZW apps on a Sprint phone would be a TOS violation.

    At least that is the way the process started... it may have changed by the end. There weren't enough specifics in the "instructions" link from the main PC article even for experienced Sprint Pre 2 Converters to repeat.

    Hopefully they will post the details soon. Even if they aren't 100% perfect it will help some who are already on functioning Sprint Pre 2's by giving them their app cat access back. That is worlds better than where they are.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  12. darrenf's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
       #12  
    Thanks for all the replies. I wanted to clarify my central question:

    I know that the Sprint back was transferred to a GSM Pre 2, but they had to take over the entire back because the CDMA and GSM comms boards use different connectors. I'm wondering if a switch between the Sprint and Verizon CDMAs model would work with just a comms board change and not a change of the entire back.

    I ask because switching comms boards is a faster and easier operation.

    -darren
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Yes, it was a GSM Pre 2, but I am fairly certain the base Dr is the WR Dr. The files from the VZW Dr. that are necessary are two firmware update files.

    The reason you wouldn't use the VZW Dr. is that installing the VZW apps on a Sprint phone would be a TOS violation.

    At least that is the way the process started... it may have changed by the end. There weren't enough specifics in the "instructions" link from the main PC article even for experienced Sprint Pre 2 Converters to repeat.

    Hopefully they will post the details soon. Even if they aren't 100% perfect it will help some who are already on functioning Sprint Pre 2's by giving them their app cat access back. That is worlds better than where they are.
    I hope the official instructions provided by webOS Internals or whoever end up being complete and thorough. I'd be worried if they leave too much room for interpretation. I also couldn't find instructions for actually swapping the comm boards so I hope that get's an official post as well.

    This past weekend I had to take apart my Pre- to replace the screen assembly from an old unit. Through the process I learned how to remove the comm board but I still wouldn't mind instructions specific to converting it to a Pre 2.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by capt4chris View Post
    I hope the official instructions provided by webOS Internals or whoever end up being complete and thorough. I'd be worried if they leave too much room for interpretation. I also couldn't find instructions for actually swapping the comm boards so I hope that get's an official post as well.

    This past weekend I had to take apart my Pre- to replace the screen assembly from an old unit. Through the process I learned how to remove the comm board but I still wouldn't mind instructions specific to converting it to a Pre 2.
    I think they will be thorough but if they aren't I will do a step by step guide with pictures. When I first did it using the already published teardown guides it was confusing at best. Since then I have learned a few tricks to make it go smoothly and go back together the same way it came apart.

    Also to update my earlier post. It appears they are now in fact using the VZW Pre 2 Dr. as the base for the Meta Dr. I have done a couple myself using only the firmware files from the VZW Dr. with the WR Dr. as the base and they work fine. So I will be interested to see the differences in using the VZW Dr. as the base.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenf View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I wanted to clarify my central question:

    I know that the Sprint back was transferred to a GSM Pre 2, but they had to take over the entire back because the CDMA and GSM comms boards use different connectors. I'm wondering if a switch between the Sprint and Verizon CDMAs model would work with just a comms board change and not a change of the entire back.

    I ask because switching comms boards is a faster and easier operation.

    -darren
    Ok, when you say "back" I just want to make sure you understand, they aren't talking about the entire back half of the phone. They are only referring to the back bezel, and the comm board. The back bezel has the speaker and camera lens attached and two wires (one black, one white) that attach to the comm board. In terms of removal it is six T-5 screws, the volume rocker and the two ribbon connectors to the comm board.

    If you only swapped the comm board the only step you would save is the volume rocker, but you would also incur a much more difficult comm board installation since you wouldn't have the space to stand up the comm board vertically to allow for easy install of the two ribbon cables. Not to mention you really don't save any thing because now you have the two BNC type pop on connectors for the black and white wires to re-connect to the comm board.

    The above tradeoff is the precise reason to swap the backs. The black and white wires are not the same length on the Pre- as they are on the GSM Pre 2's (I don't know about the VZW Pre 2's). So the wire length and placement on the comm board is what made swapping the backs the fastest solution with less risk.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups

Posting Permissions