Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. bob616's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
       #1  
    When I ordered my Pre 2 with the developer discount I was worried that it would not get future updates so I emailed PDC (Palm Developer Center) and asked of the Pre 2 will be discontinued after the Pre 3 and Veer come out and the person that replied told me this, "HP will deliver future webOS updates to Pre 2 devices." so looks like the Pre 2 will not be discontinued.
    Last edited by bob616; 02/21/2011 at 08:19 PM.
  2. #2  
    Thats good news considering I just bought one. Lets not forgot all the broken promises from Palm in the past though. I'm sure there will be many pointing them out.

    ET
  3. #3  
    I don't understand why HP would continue to sell the Pre 2 after the Pre 3 is launched. That doesn't make much sense.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I don't understand why HP would continue to sell the Pre 2 after the Pre 3 is launched. That doesn't make much sense.
    Could be wrong but I think he is saying WebOS updates will come to the Pre 2, not so much they'll continue to sell them.

    ET
  5. #5  
    headline says Pre2 will get all future updates but Palm person said it will get future updates (not all future updates). I read this as distinct possibility that Pre2 will be taken off roadmap as apps/software updates increasingly take advantage of the faster chips in the newer Pre3 and beyond hardware. This may result in a shorter timeline for the Pre2 than the Pre3 provided Pre3 nearterm successors see less of a radical jump in chip specs and software architecture.
    Last edited by bluenote; 02/21/2011 at 08:12 PM.
  6. #6  
    No device will continue to be supported and updated indefinitely.

    Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  7. bob616's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
       #7  
    fixed the title of the thread. sorry about that
  8. kjamc1982's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #8  
    This is good to hear from HP. Hopefully, Pre2 owners will get WebOS 2.2 and then 3.0 when those two version are released.
  9. danib62's Avatar
    Posts
    160 Posts
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    #9  
    Just remember that a short 2 weeks ago they were saying the same thing about the pre and the pixi...
    m100 -> m125 -> zire 71 -> Treo 650 (VZW) -> Pre Plus (VZW) + TouchPad
  10. Kujila's Avatar
    Posts
    400 Posts
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    #10  
    webOs 4.0 will make webOs 3.0 and 2.0 obsolete. Also, it will require a new framework.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    No device will continue to be supported and updated indefinitely.

    Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Yes,
    "all future updates" will not be happening.
    Just call me Berd.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bob616 View Post
    fixed the title of the thread. sorry about that
    No worries.
    Just call me Berd.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I don't understand why HP would continue to sell the Pre 2 after the Pre 3 is launched. That doesn't make much sense.
    both my wife and daughter would prefer the Pre2 size, whereas I would prefer the Pre3. One size doesn't fit all.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Yes,
    "all future updates" will not be happening.
    Exactly, thank you.

    Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  15. #15  
    Obviously the Pre 2 will not be getting all future updates, but neither will the Pre 3 or any other device. However the Pre 2 has higher specs than the Veer and it isn't released yet. So one would expect the Pre 2 to be a viable player longer than the Veer but not as long as the Pre 3. And whatever happened in the time during the swap, it looks pretty clear that the Veer, Pre 2 and Pre 3 make up an convenient little form factor family. In a perfect Palm world they may well have launched 1, 2, 3, sometime during 2010. Especially since they were all already in the pipeline.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Obviously the Pre 2 will not be getting all future updates, but neither will the Pre 3 or any other device. However the Pre 2 has higher specs than the Veer and it isn't released yet. So one would expect the Pre 2 to be a viable player longer than the Veer but not as long as the Pre 3. And whatever happened in the time during the swap, it looks pretty clear that the Veer, Pre 2 and Pre 3 make up an convenient little form factor family. In a perfect Palm world they may well have launched 1, 2, 3, sometime during 2010. Especially since they were all already in the pipeline.
    Doesn't the Veer have better performance than the pre 2? It's a newer chip even though it's 800mhz.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Doesn't the Veer have better performance than the pre 2? It's a newer chip even though it's 800mhz.
    Yes, Veer has the same chip as tmobile G2 (running at the same speed as well). G2 is running at a much higher resolution as well so veer should be faster than Pre 2 (since on android G2 beats most 1GHz devices like Droid-X). Also, Veer has touch-to-transfer technology while Pre2 does not. SO, I would think the shelf life and subsequently support life for Pre2 would be shorter than Veer.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Could be wrong but I think he is saying WebOS updates will come to the Pre 2, not so much they'll continue to sell them.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    No device will continue to be supported and updated indefinitely.
    My point was along the lines of what Verwon said with the addition that the sooner they stop selling them, the sooner the updates will stop coming.

    I just got a free Pre 2 but I will jump to the Pre 3 soon as it's out.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by bob616 View Post
    When I ordered my Pre 2 with the developer discount I was worried that it would not get future updates so I emailed PDC (Palm Developer Center) and asked of the Pre 2 will be discontinued after the Pre 3 and Veer come out and the person that replied told me this, "HP will deliver future webOS updates to Pre 2 devices." so looks like the Pre 2 will not be discontinued.
    and after this fiasco you still believe HP/Palm's promises?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    both my wife and daughter would prefer the Pre2 size, whereas I would prefer the Pre3. One size doesn't fit all.
    I understand what you're saying but the current Pre 2 is really a Pre ++. If they want to continue the Pre 2 line, they would have to update it to the current day hardware standards.

    But I also have a feeling that trying to squeeze a third phone with the same form factor between the veer and Pre 3 just for a 1/2 of screen size difference would be a little too niche.

    I would just bump up the screen size of the Veer a bit to 2.8 or 3.0. It's really too small for most people. And then add a 4inch+ slab to bring the rest of the people to the table. That would be the perfect lineup.

Posting Permissions