Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    A journey that started at the NYC Dev Day ...

is now complete. We have finally engineered a method to create a Sprint Pre 2 running webOS 2.0.1 which is able to log into an existing Palm profile and purchase PDK apps from the app catalog:

This process requires a Sprint Pre- with a working activated comms board, and any type of Pre 2 (doesn't matter whether it is an unlocked GSM device or a Verizon Pre 2).

It results in a Pre 2, running on Sprint, with the ability to log into your profile and purchase the full range of applications from the Palm app catalog.

Note that the app-cat-compatible Sprint Pre 2 is created from official HP webOS Doctors only. No leaked files or NDA info is used in the making.

For details of how to achieve this, see http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Sprint_Pre_2. We are working with WebOS World to enable them to offer a commercial service to perform these upgrades, with a percentage of the upgrade price being donated to WebOS Internals to assist future development. The full procedure is, of course, open information for anyone to make use of themselves.

If you want to make a special donation for the time and effort we have spent getting to this point, please feel free to visit http://donate.webos-internals.org ... and/or purchase the Preware Homebrew Documentation app from the official app catalog and leave a review including your message of support.

[Note that a lot of early information in this thread (up to and including page 6) is from an early version of the procedure which left your palm profile at version 1.4.5 - the latest version of the procedure gives you a true version 2.1.0 profile.]

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 03/09/2011 at 03:09 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    armydrummer likes this.
    Great job - Thanks for the work!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Congrats! I'm sure you already know this, but you guys rule! Thanks for the time and effort, once again!!
    HP couldn't keep their promise on delivering webOS 2.0 to the older devices; steps in the webOS-Internals team and accomplishes waht HP couldn't. Awesome work as always. Thanks for everything.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by eserrano250 View Post
    HP couldn't keep their promise on delivering webOS 2.0 to the older devices; steps in the webOS-Internals team and accomplishes waht HP couldn't. Awesome work as always. Thanks for everything.
    Note that this is a Pre 2 running webOS 2.0 on Sprint, not a Sprint Pre- "legacy" device running webOS 2.0 ...

But yes, this is a webOS 2.0 device running on Sprint. Which is all that a lot of folks seem to want

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 02/21/2011 at 05:47 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    on a side note I got REALLY good at comm swaps during the development of this, lol
    Know your Webos-Internals members:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/WhoIsWho
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptk View Post
    on a side note I got REALLY good at comm swaps during the development of this, lol
    Yeah, you did 12 swaps in 4 hours as we honed in on the magic recipe, right?

-- Rod
    I think so... somewhere around there for sure
    Awesome work guys.
    First congrats Rob and co... (next I have to play the dumb card. and I am happy to do it.)

Easily confused why we're refering to the HP Pre 3 as Pre 2. We are talking about the HP Pre 3 here right !,,,,
    If I am reading you correctly, I will want to walk straight into that Verizon or ATT store and walk right out with an HP Pre 3 and NO service plan, only to put it on Sprint myself..... thanks to you and your team ?
    This is brilliant. (of course I will need your patients and guidence as always to implement it)

How will I convince the Mrs, It'd be worth circumventing the upgrade value from Sprint, for loyalty all these years, and pay full retail....! (possibly my new signiture)

I wondered what the costs between this new palm as compared to the others will be. ie iphone4.

Is this phone 4G capable as well ?
    wow I'm blown away!!! This is awesome! Now time to get a Pre2
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Could info from this post conceivably be used to trick the Sprint Pre- running 2.0.1 into thinking it is 1.4.5? This would conceivably allow app-catalog usage which has been an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweaka View Post
    First congrats Rob and co... (next I have to play the dumb card. and I am happy to do it.)

Easily confused why we're refering to the HP Pre 3 as Pre 2. We are talking about the HP Pre 3 here right !,,,,
    If I am reading you correctly, I will want to walk straight into that Verizon or ATT store and walk right out with an HP Pre 3 and NO service plan, only to put it on Sprint myself..... thanks to you and your team ?
    This is brilliant. (of course I will need your patients and guidence as always to implement it)

How will I convince the Mrs, It'd be worth circumventing the upgrade value from Sprint, for loyalty all these years, and pay full retail....! (possibly my new signiture)

I wondered what the costs between this new palm as compared to the others will be. ie iphone4.

Is this phone 4G capable as well ?
    No, we are definitely talking about a Pre2... nobody has a Pre3 yet... it isn't released... anywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujila View Post
    Could info from this post conceivably be used to trick the Sprint Pre- running 2.0.1 into thinking it is 1.4.5? This would conceivably allow app-catalog usage which has been an issue.
    Conceivably, maybe... if it weren't for that pesky fact that a Pre- running 2.0.1 is covered under the NDA and therefore shouldn't be discussed on these forums.

EDIT: let me clarify... the technique used MAY help.... but using a verizon doctor for 2.0.1 would not be helpful at all. Previous point about the NDA still stands.
    [QUOTE=rwhitby;2874625]This is the thread for those people who have a Pre 2 with a Sprint comms board in it (but have not yet gotten the software side of things to work) to discuss how the use of the Verizon Pre 2 doctor may help.

Just when I thought I understood what you guys are talking about.
    I respect how hard it must be for you all to dumb it down for us sometimes.
    So when I am walking out of Verizon or ATT I have a phone without a Sprint comm card in it ? And I am not to post about it because it is in violation with some lawful entity that suspect me of criminal activitiy...

The title of this thread implies you might be ready for us lay folk.
    PS First time I am hearing about a Verizon Doctor.
    No, none of the NDA stuff was for you... Verizon has the Pre2, it comes with verizon software etc. Nothing that Rod and I did is in violation of any NDA.

If you were to do the same thing, you as well would not violate any NDA's.

Talking about a Pre- with a version of WebOS that has not been officially released for a Pre- would violate an NDA.

in short, tweaka, you're all good! nothing for you to worry about!
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptk View Post
    No, we are definitely talking about a Pre2... nobody has a Pre3 yet... it isn't released... anywhere
    My wife pointed out to me yesterday that Verizon and ATT have the 3 as of the 17th... I will have to check on that again today, that what brought me here. my bad, if I am wrong.

guess I am seeing what I want to see..lol
    Quote Originally Posted by tweaka View Post
    My wife pointed out to me yesterday that Verizon and ATT have the 3 as of the 17th... I will have to check on that again today, that what brought me here. my bad, if I am wrong.

guess I am seeing what I want to see..lol
    Yep, she was mistaken... They have the Pre2. The Pre3 is slated for release later this year IIRC.
    I've said this before and I'll say it again, you guys are freaking nuts/ridiculous. Thanks a bunch for keeping people like me interested, although I'd stay anyways but you make the experience much better.
    Sprint Love
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    I've said this before and I'll say it again, you guys are freaking nuts/ridiculous. Thanks a bunch for keeping people like me interested, although I'd stay anyways but you make the experience much better.
    You know what would make your experience EVEN BETTER!!! Go get yourself a Pre2 and put it on Sprint!
Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast