Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool2 View Post
    Question-- This board swap leaves the Pre Minus back, right? If my pre's power button is failing (again) will it get the Pre 2 button or will I be stuck with the broken one?
    "Back" is not what you think. In this case "back" = back bezel and comm board. It is literally six T-5 screws, a few side and bottom clips, two ribbon cables and removing the volume rocker. The back bezel houses the speaker and camera lens.

I have taken some pics of the dis-assembly process and will put those together with some step by step instructions hopefully available this weekend.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by ohallord View Post
    Yea I will have to give the purchasing a web os 2.0 app.
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean, can you explain?
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean, can you explain?

Sorry, I was looking for 2.0 apps and did not see any. But have not really looked real hard yet.

My biggest thing is that it wants to update to 1.4.5 and I am not letting it right now.

I am going to try and edit my build info on the device to see if that will stop it, and allow me to get 2.0 apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    "Back" is not what you think. In this case "back" = back bezel and comm board. It is literally six T-5 screws, a few side and bottom clips, two ribbon cables and removing the volume rocker. The back bezel houses the speaker and camera lens.

I have taken some pics of the dis-assembly process and will put those together with some step by step instructions hopefully available this weekend.
    I get it! So it's the part with all the antenna metals and stuff. So I get a new power button, headphone jack, screen, and MOST IMPORTANTLY earpiece! I have been on speakerphone for the last 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool2 View Post
    I get it! So it's the part with all the antenna metals and stuff. So I get a new power button, headphone jack, screen, and MOST IMPORTANTLY earpiece! I have been on speakerphone for the last 6 months.
    Yes, and new 512MB RAM, 16GB storage and 1GHz processor etc. The only functional things you bring from the old Pre is comm board, speaker, and camera lens.
    Rod tweeted earlier this week that they might convert a Pre 2 to Sprint this weekend at Scale9x in LA. I have a Sprint Pre- and a new Pre 2 and I live in Long Beach- about 20 miles from the venue. I was thinking it might be nice to Sprintify my Pre 2. I am having trouble figuring out how to get in touch with @cryptkcoding or @webosinternals or @jsguy. Can anyone help me get in contact with those cats?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I would love a good step-by-step guide. A video of the process, like the video malpha made for putting 2.1 on a Pre, would be great.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I recently applied for the developer Pre 2 and will hopefully receive one. If so I'm definitely going to try this. I just have one question.

I currently am not using my Sprint Pre as a phone. The screen is malfunctioning (third replacement device), and I've been using my EVO since it launched last summer. I've wanted to get back to webOS ASAP and this looks like it could be my chance.

Do I have to activate my Sprint Pre before I swap out the coms board into the Pre2? Or can I call sprint and have them switch the line over from my EVO after I've assembled a successful Sprint Pre 2? It sounds like most people are just swapping their current Sprint Pre phones that they use daily. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I've done about 10 comm. swaps, so that part was easy. The Verizon phone booted up, accepted my profile, restored my apps and settings, and I can see all 2.0 and lower apps. With this said, I've gone with Route 1 with no real side effects.

I've done a few swaps with the profile before this procedure: first on a Verizon Pre 2, then a 2.1 Sprint Pre+, and now to the Sprint Pre 2.

This should hold me out until the Pre3 or a Slate Palm phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Megazac View Post
    I recently applied for the developer Pre 2 and will hopefully receive one. If so I'm definitely going to try this. I just have one question.

I currently am not using my Sprint Pre as a phone. The screen is malfunctioning (third replacement device), and I've been using my EVO since it launched last summer. I've wanted to get back to webOS ASAP and this looks like it could be my chance.

Do I have to activate my Sprint Pre before I swap out the coms board into the Pre2? Or can I call sprint and have them switch the line over from my EVO after I've assembled a successful Sprint Pre 2? It sounds like most people are just swapping their current Sprint Pre phones that they use daily. Thanks.
    Activate or not is up to you. I personally prefer an already active comm board prior to the hardware swap.

But you definitely need to get the tokens off before the swap.
  11.    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by Megazac View Post

You should always activate with the original Sprint Pre first, so you know that it is going to work. Then if something goes wrong with the activation, you have a supported Sprint phone that you can call them up about. If you wait till after you move the comms board, then you're not calling them about a supported device any more.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You should always activate with the original Sprint Pre first, so you know that it is going to work. Then if something goes wrong with the activation, you have a supported Sprint phone that you can call them up about. If you wait till after you move the comms board, then you're not calling them about a supported device any more.

-- Rod
    OK.
    So just to clarify, before I begin the swap process I should call Sprint and have them switch my line back to my Sprint Pre. Then verify it works by booting it up and sign in to my profile? (Might be tricky because I'm having the "phantom touchscreen" issue where the screen is unresponsive and inputs actions on it's own) After I'm sure I'm connected to Sprint, proceed with the swap and the already active comms board should carry over to the Pre 2.

Missing anything?

BTW I already copied the tokens info using the novacom command prompt using the command "tokens --list".
    must be nice to be smart....
    not to interrupt Megazac, but can I get a link to see what switching a comms board actually looks like, the retail price for a plam pre 2 might be something I can afford, once I figure out what it is and where I can get one. The scary part is it likely comes as is.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Just curious does anyone know if there is going to be a script for this too, or a new step by step?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rothoof View Post
    Just curious does anyone know if there is going to be a script for this too, or a new step by step?

Yes there will be a script and it will be very impressive. I am waiting for the beta to be posted and I will add it to the step by step hardware guide (with pics) for the swap that I am doing.
    okay guys so I have a sprint pre. But my speaker is blown can I do the swap and keep the pre 2 speaker?
    I thought I got a tweet that webosinternals is putting someone sprintifying their 2 on youtube
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djfu3l3r View Post
    okay guys so I have a sprint pre. But my speaker is blown can I do the swap and keep the pre 2 speaker?
    No the comes board on the pre 2 is attached different than the pre minus

20.    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by djfu3l3r View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rothoof View Post
    No the comes board on the pre 2 is attached different than the pre minus
    The speaker is attached to the backplate surround which contains the antenna, and the wire lengths to the GSM and CDMA comms boards are different.

You can, if you are careful, swap just the speaker component from the Pre 2 backplate into the Sprint Pre- backplate (which is the one you will be using with the Sprint comms board). It pops right out fairly easily.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast