Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920
Like Tree3Likes
    Update:

Even though I haven't figured out why, my Pre- goes into usb recovery mode if using a spare verizon board I have laying around but not with the original one. I then swap the boards and can run the doctor, odd!

I think either my Metadoctor is somehow corrupted or my Pre 2 is failing. I flash the Pre- no problem with 1.4.5 then swap the board into the Pre2 and it either fails at 8% - 12% - 52% with usb connection or no modem communication. When it does work something happens with the modem as it just doesn't work right.

I went back to my Original Pre on 1.4.5 for now because it just works. It's my only phone and I can't be disconnected from the world. I need to setup an Ubuntu machine so I can build another doctor for the Franken Pre 2 to see if its the hardware or the doctor failing. Until then I'm back on 1.4.5.
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Correct.

Next step was gonna be swapping all the hardware back to original configurations, attempting to log in to 1.4.5 profile, deleting backups, reswapping again and trying all over. Glad we got to avoid that.

But of course... YMMV
    It did fix the issue.
    After hours of reading, I converted my Sprint Pre- to a Sprint Pre2! It's awesome! (I used a verizon pre2 and only switched the modem, not the whole bezel, since Sprint & Verizon use the same antennas for CDMA, the antenna for GSM is different so the whole bezel would have to be changed.) The metadoctor was the easiest part since I already have a Ubuntu machine set up. I looked at the video on webosroundup, but the pictorial on Webosinternals is quite adequate.

But I really need Sprint Navigation. I've tried & tried, but I keep getting errors. I even tried to install via the ipk option via preware. No errors, but no icon either. Can anyone help? I'm using an ipk I found, Sprint Navigation v2.8.
    Quote Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
    But I really need Sprint Navigation. I've tried & tried, but I keep getting errors. I even tried to install via the ipk option via preware. No errors, but no icon either. Can anyone help? I'm using an ipk I found, Sprint Navigation v2.8.
    To get sprint nav working on a pre 2 you have to run the install command from the terminal.

I have bee able to use Xecutah. Download this as well as XServer and XTerm. Copy that ipk to your USB drive and run this command.
    Open Xecutah, click on Run XServer, click on Run XTerm. The terminal will be in another window.

first get to the directory
    cd /
    cd /media/internal
    ipkg install name_of_sprint_nav_ipk.ipk -force-depends

reboot and you will have it.

Welcome to the club.
    Last edited by troymiller; 09/09/2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by neit_jnf View Post
    Update:

Even though I haven't figured out why, my Pre- goes into usb recovery mode if using a spare verizon board I have laying around but not with the original one. I then swap the boards and can run the doctor, odd!

I think either my Metadoctor is somehow corrupted or my Pre 2 is failing. I flash the Pre- no problem with 1.4.5 then swap the board into the Pre2 and it either fails at 8% - 12% - 52% with usb connection or no modem communication. When it does work something happens with the modem as it just doesn't work right.

I went back to my Original Pre on 1.4.5 for now because it just works. It's my only phone and I can't be disconnected from the world. I need to setup an Ubuntu machine so I can build another doctor for the Franken Pre 2 to see if its the hardware or the doctor failing. Until then I'm back on 1.4.5.
    If you still haven't figured out why the Doctor isn't working past 12% or so.... it's because you need to restart your Windows machine.

I also switched to my Touchpad cable instead of my Pre- cable, but I don't think that helped as much as the restart.
    My gf wants me to doctor her pre- to a pre 2. It appears that with this change, sprint will have no indication of the change, and that sprint will still think she has a pre- operating with the same ESN and no change. Is that accurate?
    I've done many conversions with a minimum of problems, and this one has me stumped. Everything works great, but when the doctor is set and the phone is activated, the phone does not make sounds when the dial pad is pressed. Calls go through, but I cant hear the person on the other end, and they cant hear me. Hardware tests go fine, and other phone functions produce sound. The problem is not with the speaker, but appears to be software related. Has anyone else experienced these issues? Ive gotta say I'm running out of ideas and could use some feedback quick. Thanks!
    Last edited by morrison0880; 09/21/2011 at 08:21 AM.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by troymiller View Post
    To get sprint nav working on a pre 2 you have to run the install command from the terminal.

I have bee able to use Xecutah. Download this as well as XServer and XTerm. Copy that ipk to your USB drive and run this command.
    Open Xecutah, click on Run XServer, click on Run XTerm. The terminal will be in another window.

first get to the directory
    cd /
    cd /media/internal
    ipkg install name_of_sprint_nav_ipk.ipk -force-depends

reboot and you will have it.

Welcome to the club.
    What is the actual name of the sprint nav ipk, and what is the path to it?
    Is there supposed to be a space at the end of the word 'force' before the next hyphen?
    (i.e., -force -depends)?
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    does any one know of someone that does the sprint pre- to sprint pre2 conversion that lives in the central florida area or in the asheville nc area?

If so could you pm me with their contact info?

I can not do without my phone for several days to mail it to someone for the conversion and mail it back to me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by does321 View Post
    does any one know of someone that does the sprint pre- to sprint pre2 conversion that lives in the central florida area or in the asheville nc area?

If so could you pm me with their contact info?

I can not do without my phone for several days to mail it to someone for the conversion and mail it back to me.

Thanks
    Trust me... you can do it!!! It'll take you no more than an hour after you've gotten your Meta'd-Doctor. Prolly take you more time to find a T5 torx driver than it will to disassemble two Pres and put 'em back together. Hardest part is "prying" the board, because it's glued. Just be careful with the Pre- and you will have more than enough confidence to be sure you do the Pre2 properly. Just pay attention to the direction of the sockets on the comm board... I thought the cable slid in parallel to the board. But both the cable and board have sockets that are perpendicular to the board.

Really, it's a piece of cake if you follow the pictorial and realize that it will take a bit of force to pry the board off the glue.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Trust me... you can do it!!! It'll take you no more than an hour after you've gotten your Meta'd-Doctor. Prolly take you more time to find a T5 torx driver than it will to disassemble two Pres and put 'em back together. Hardest part is "prying" the board, because it's glued. Just be careful with the Pre- and you will have more than enough confidence to be sure you do the Pre2 properly. Just pay attention to the direction of the sockets on the comm board... I thought the cable slid in parallel to the board. But both the cable and board have sockets that are perpendicular to the board.

Really, it's a piece of cake if you follow the pictorial and realize that it will take a bit of force to pry the board off the glue.
    I am not worried about exchanging parts and I have a T5, I can not find the correct version of xcode for my mac OS (10.6.8) so I can not do the software part
    Quote Originally Posted by does321 View Post
    I am not worried about exchanging parts and I have a T5, I can not find the correct version of xcode for my mac OS (10.6.8) so I can not do the software part
    Is there some reason you can't use VirtualBox on OS X??

See my sig and it will give you a general idea of what needs to be done. It's really not as difficult as it seems. There are a couple things that have changed from Ubuntu 9.10 to 11.04, but you can see those differences on the last page or two of that thread. Or you could just use the outdated 9.10 and it will work absolutely no problem. You'll still want to use the scripts that are outlined on the Meta-Doctor Wiki page, tho...

Very, very, VERY simple.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Is there some reason you can't use VirtualBox on OS X??

See my sig and it will give you a general idea of what needs to be done. It's really not as difficult as it seems. There are a couple things that have changed from Ubuntu 9.10 to 11.04, but you can see those differences on the last page or two of that thread. Or you could just use the outdated 9.10 and it will work absolutely no problem. You'll still want to use the scripts that are outlined on the Meta-Doctor Wiki page, tho...

Very, very, VERY simple.
    Ok I got the correct version of the xcode and got everything installed on this link

Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

down thru section 1. Do I complete the rest of the sections on this page or start what is on this page?

WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

I have disassembled the GSM Pre 2 and waiting until I get the software ready to start on the Pre-.

I will be exchanging the speakers, should I also do the ear phone jack also?

Mark
    I finally fixed my FrankenPre2!!

After building another 2.1 metadoctor in Ubuntu and it still failing, I decided that the Pre2 hardware was actually bad so I went back to my Pre Plus and decided to swap the motherboard into the Pre2 for the better screen and kb.

It failed to doctor too!! It was working fine until I put it into the Pre2 bits so I thought that somehow the comm board connector was bad and tried with the Plus mirror/kb assembly into the Pre2 screen/mb. IT WORKED! The camera didn't though so I carefully swapped the comm board ribbon cable, put the FrankenPre2 back together and finally the 2.1 doctor worked perfectly!

It now works as it should! Sprint shows up as carrier, data and text problems are gone and no more dropped call notifications for every call!

So, if you're having data/text/dropped call problems maybe you have a bad comm board ribbon cable.

Quote Originally Posted by neit_jnf View Post
    Update:

Last edited by neit_jnf; 09/27/2011 at 08:12 AM.
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!