Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    There are services to do it for you fairly cheaply if you think it's over your head.
    Any links for these services? I have an unlocked GSM Pre2 and an old Sprint Pre.
    Device Services | WebOS World

If you want, I can handle it for you. I've done a couple other precentral member FrankenPres at $30 plus shipping. All you need is an activated Pre Minus and a Pre 2. Turnaround is one day. Let me know if you want some help.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Great job - Thanks for the work!
    Why did pre minus ever get stuck being it's name. I liked pre legacy better. I may take you up on that deal morrison0880. Also I heard that once you do the conversion, things like sprint navigation are gone. I actually like to use my GPS since I travel. Keeps me from spending the separate money for a real GPS device.
    Does anyone have video of this swap happening? I have found pre- to pre+ videos but no pre- to pre2 videos. Also, I am using an old pre- with a broken screen that has been on sprint for a long time but hasn't been used in a while. Is that going to be a problem? Does it need to be actively on the network when disassembled in order to work for the swap? Also, should I keep the SN sticker from under the battery or is that unnecessary?
    I'll get Sprint Nav on there for you too.

Pre legacy would work...if they weren't ALL legacy. Plus, it was a bit of frustration about the bs Sprint users went through with their webOS devices, or lack thereof, that led to the "minus" moniker. The Pre2 works great. There have been a couple of quirks I've run into, like not being able to see the list of bookmarks to erase or re-order them, or the phone getting stuck at 300 MHz (others on the forums seem to have this issue too. Easily taken care of with Govnah and UK, but still a PITA).

Let me know on the phones. If you already have a Pre2, great. If you need one, I do have a couple extras that I'm going to be selling as well. Later.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrblueskys View Post
    Does anyone have video of this swap happening? I have found pre- to pre+ videos but no pre- to pre2 videos. Also, I am using an old pre- with a broken screen that has been on sprint for a long time but hasn't been used in a while. Is that going to be a problem? Does it need to be actively on the network when disassembled in order to work for the swap? Also, should I keep the SN sticker from under the battery or is that unnecessary?
    if in the video you found they swapped the entire back bezel, not just the comms board, then the procedure is exactly the same.

I don't swap stickers. Meh.

YES! It must absolutely be activated before the swap! Post swap if it becomes deactivated, you've gotta reswap, activate and then swap again. :/
    Is there any way to activate a phone without going into the sprint store if the phone has a broken screen?? (As much as I love that place...)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrblueskys View Post
    Is there any way to activate a phone without going into the sprint store if the phone has a broken screen?? (As much as I love that place...)
    Just call. They should be able to do it for you. I would say go online to do it, but for some reason there always seems to be something that goes wrong with the data. If the screen is shot you may have a hard time getting it activated. Sometimes you need to do codes to change the MSLID and what not.

Happy to see hat morrison0880 is doing pre2ification. If you want to try it yourself its not that hard to do. The hardest parts for me (non linux user) were familiarizing my self with unbuntu (not that bad), (finding the proper screwdriver *go to home depot Torx t5 is what you need*) and finding the file for sprint nav. Just search by the file name and it will pop up on media fire? for download. Besides that webOS internals did a great job with their walktrough.
    But if all else fails, do you think a sprint store would activate a broken screen pre-?

Update:

I reinstalled the pre- comm board. The touchscreen didn't work but I could still call the sprint operator (thank goodness for universal search!). He said that my account couldn't be validated. This is a good sign because it means I reinstalled my comm board properly, right?
    Last edited by mstrblueskys; 09/06/2011 at 05:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    if in the video you found they swapped the entire back bezel, not just the comms board, then the procedure is exactly the same. :/
    So the pre- bezel will fit fine onto the pre2?
    Yes you literally swap out the back of the phone. Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals

Read this before you start doing anything http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/WebOS_2_Upgrade

Here is the Sprint Nav part. http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...g-2-1-0-a.html

Just google the sprint nav file name and you will find it online somwhere.
    well my sprint franken unlocked pre 2 2.1 metadoctor was having trouble flashing the modem and it failed there so not having ubuntu setup or even an internet connection outside of work where I could do it I decided to try something different.

I put the comm board back on the original pre- and doctored with 1.4.1.1 using the command line, it succesfully restored the modem firmware!

I then updated to 1.4.5 then to sprint's 2.0.1 beta, the firware went from 514 to 535 to 587.

I put the board back on the Pre2 and now the metadoctor worked! I was still having data issues and out of curiosity I called my local sprint store and they told me they where having problems provisioning phones and that I would not get data until this was resolved. Turns out i needed to get provisioned again after my ##786# reset.

I then went into my sprint acct and tried the chat service, they confirmed they are having problems with third party provisioning or psms service as they put it. The rep went into my acct and reset everything for me and told me I had to update network settings in the phone's menu, hmm 2.1 doesn't have that so I just rebooted the phone and data came back.

since I want the latest prl and network settings I decided to put the board back in the original pre and re do everything so I can then have current settings for the pre 2. I'm no going to use 2.0.1 beta but 1.4.5 instead. I'm in the middle of it.

good thing I have an empty profile to do all this with and not mess with my good profile

neit_jnf- I'm mobile right now so it'll be brief. As you can see above I had the same problems and building (yet) another doctor fixed them. When you build the doctor in linux, it's done in the command line and it gives you a big ol' output of everything it does. Before you *use* a doctor, look it over. Pretty much scan for the word "error". If you see it, scrap it and try again.

when you're ready to run the doctor, do so from the command line. To do this in windows open the command prompt and navigate to the directory the doctor is in and then type

Code:
    java -jar biglongfilename.jar
    the doctor will pop up as normal but you'll also have the command prompt output to take a look At. Look for strange activity around 64% as this is when the modem firmware is written and I think a problem there results in the dropped call notification and garbled texts.

I'll be on again in about 8 or 9 hours... Good luck!
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    So here's a funny question. Say I do the franken pre2 thing to stay with sprint. But at some point I decide to move to ATT. Will there be an issue running my franken pre2 if I ever decided to switch to ATT?
    I am guessing you just switch the comms board back and Doctor with the At&t doctor. Shouldn't be a problem I don't think. But there are a lot smarter people than me in here.
    Quote Originally Posted by neit_jnf View Post
    well my sprint franken unlocked pre 2 2.1 metadoctor was having trouble flashing the modem and it failed there so not having ubuntu setup or even an internet connection outside of work where I could do it I decided to try something different.

I put the comm board back on the original pre- and doctored with 1.4.1.1 using the command line, it succesfully restored the modem firmware!

I then updated to 1.4.5 then to sprint's 2.0.1 beta, the firware went from 514 to 535 to 587.

I put the board back on the Pre2 and now the metadoctor worked! I was still having data issues and out of curiosity I called my local sprint store and they told me they where having problems provisioning phones and that I would not get data until this was resolved. Turns out i needed to get provisioned again after my ##786# reset.

I then went into my sprint acct and tried the chat service, they confirmed they are having problems with third party provisioning or psms service as they put it. The rep went into my acct and reset everything for me and told me I had to update network settings in the phone's menu, hmm 2.1 doesn't have that so I just rebooted the phone and data came back.

since I want the latest prl and network settings I decided to put the board back in the original pre and re do everything so I can then have current settings for the pre 2. I'm no going to use 2.0.1 beta but 1.4.5 instead. I'm in the middle of it.

good thing I have an empty profile to do all this with and not mess with my good profile
    I'm gonna be honest. I'm having a little trouble following you. Maybe it's the wine.

What I can say is that I'm prrrrretty sure that 1.4.5 will not run on the Pre 2. Is that your plan? 2.x brings so much goodness and runs great on the Pre 2! Updating the PRL while you've got your Sprint board in your Sprint phone is a good idea, etc. But it sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on what you're doing. I think you'll get there!

Quote Originally Posted by angelo.55 View Post
    So here's a funny question. Say I do the franken pre2 thing to stay with sprint. But at some point I decide to move to ATT. Will there be an issue running my franken pre2 if I ever decided to switch to ATT?
    Assuming of course, that the Pre 2 was originally GSM (and not Verizon), yeah. You'll be fine.
    What I can say is that I'm prrrrretty sure that 1.4.5 will not run on the Pre 2. Is that your plan?
    My plan was to put the board back on the pre- and doctor it with 1.4.5, update prl and network settings so I can write down the latest evdo home agent ip address before putting it back into the Pre2. Somewhere in the process something went wrong, go figure!

I doctored the original pre with sprint's older 1.4.1.1 and just like that I lost the ability to get the phone into usb recovery mode so I decided ok I'll sign into my empty profile and try from there. Well, the Pre decided that it required an ota update to 1.4.5, I let it do it, rebooted and then it got stuck in a "looking for updates" screen and wont let me do anything. I left it all night in the "looking for updates" screen but nothing happened, its stuck there.

The kicker is that it wont get into usb recovery mode at all and none of the doctors recognize it anymore... I put the comm back into the pre2 and it fails at modem flashing. The pre- will go into usb with another comm I have (verizon) but not with mine sprint one... oh well, i'll keep trying different things, bad thing is I dont have another phone! heh

any idea how to force a usb recovery mode when volume up wont work?
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    I'll get Sprint Nav on there for you too.

Pre legacy would work...if they weren't ALL legacy. Plus, it was a bit of frustration about the bs Sprint users went through with their webOS devices, or lack thereof, that led to the "minus" moniker. The Pre2 works great. There have been a couple of quirks I've run into, like not being able to see the list of bookmarks to erase or re-order them, or the phone getting stuck at 300 MHz (others on the forums seem to have this issue too. Easily taken care of with Govnah and UK, but still a PITA).

Let me know on the phones. If you already have a Pre2, great. If you need one, I do have a couple extras that I'm going to be selling as well. Later.
    I only own a legacy Pre on Sprint and will not change carriers.

How much do you charge to "Sprintify" one of your spare Pre2s with my Sprint profile and apps from my legacy Pre?

A few questions:
    What are the specs of your spare Pre2s?
    Do they have 8/16GB? Gorilla glass? RAM size?
    What version of webOS would you put on the Sprint Pre2?
    Can I keep all my Sprint apps? (including my Sprint GPS)
    Is the Sprint Pre2 overclock stable? 1.0GHZ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by fred1955; 09/07/2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: updated
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    I am guessing you just switch the comms board back and Doctor with the At&t doctor. Shouldn't be a problem I don't think. But there are a lot smarter people than me in here.
    OK, I guess that makes sense. I don't think I will be doctoring my own phone though. I really don't feel comfortable with the programs to do all this stuff. I can handle the hard ware part but programs are a whole new show.
    WHAT TO EXPECT WITH FRANKEN PRE 2 (VERIZON)

I would like to do this, even with the iPhone coming to Sprint ~ but I really need a clear list of what to expect and issues to expect. Honestly, I was a long time Palm user, but never jumped to the Pre from the Treo (was in iPhone land & Android desert). The TouchPad changed me, so, I got a Pre- for Sprint and loaded preware and like it, but it seems like the Pre 2 is really a much better way to go. So, I have read through as much as I can and am trying to get a clear explanation on it. Also, I don't even really understand the entire Palm account and what that is, even though I know I have one :-)

Thanks so much!!

rino
    Last edited by rinodattilo; 09/07/2011 at 01:11 PM.