Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1. Liski's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hi,

    Is anyone able to get me a brand new unlocked Pre 2 but activate for US App Catalog & OTA and ship it to Australia?
  2. #2  
    You need to think about what network you want to use it on
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

  3. #3  
    Hi there. I'm in Sydney and current have a Pre. It's locked to the O2 network and I'm using it with the RebelSim to work with Vodafone, so I guess that's why it has the UK catalogue. The pre seems to be falling apart (earpiece not working, unresponsive touch screen and phantom taps), so I'm considering getting a Pre 2.

    I'm not fussed about starting afresh with no apps, since they are all freebies (I dont' have a UK credit card). I'm guessing that I have to get a new Profile if I want access to the US catalogue?

    The UK Pre 2 might have the same bands as Australia but I seem to be a lot more expensive than the ones from the UK, so I'm happy to get one that works on the 850 band on Vodafone.

    I'm also fine with getting either a brand new or second hand Pre 2, depending on the price. Do they need to be activated in the US before getting sent to me? Does my new profile need to be created while it's turned on there?

    Would love some info if anyone could help!
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Escalus View Post
    The UK Pre 2 might have the same bands as Australia but I seem to be a lot more expensive than the ones from the UK, so I'm happy to get one that works on the 850 band on Vodafone.

    I'm also fine with getting either a brand new or second hand Pre 2, depending on the price. Do they need to be activated in the US before getting sent to me? Does my new profile need to be created while it's turned on there?

    Would love some info if anyone could help!
    Get a USA Pre2 I use one on Vodafone in SYD, and have 3G 850mhz almost everywhere. Probably be useless in the country though :-)

    Get it activated in the USA, then you can get a simon malls card (I haven't got one yet) and access the app cat.

    No your profile can be created anywhere, the phone just needs to be activated on the right network, in the USA.

    I love my Pre2 :-)
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

  5. #5  
    Get your device shipped to Australia and contact Rod Whitby (rwhitby), he can do a Pre-activation for your device to get the full US app catalog. You'll still need the US card tho.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

    Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    Get a USA Pre2 I use one on Vodafone in SYD, and have 3G 850mhz almost everywhere. Probably be useless in the country though :-)
    I can put up with plain old GPRS occasionally!

    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    Get it activated in the USA, then you can get a simon malls card (I haven't got one yet) and access the app cat.

    No your profile can be created anywhere, the phone just needs to be activated on the right network, in the USA.

    I love my Pre2 :-)
    So as long as the phone itself has been activated in the US (eg bought second hand) it should be fine? My profile with my current Pre is associated with the UK catalogue, so I guess I can't use that old profile?

    I love webOS, but the Pre-'s hardware quality leaves a lot to be desired!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Get your device shipped to Australia and contact Rod Whitby (rwhitby), he can do a Pre-activation for your device to get the full US app catalog. You'll still need the US card tho.
    I guess you're talking about a brand new device that has not been activated before? Doesn't work for a device which has been activated in UK for example?
  8. #8  
    if you get a simon malls card (its basicly a prepaid visa ) you should be good to go if you want to purchase from the us app cat. i also read that rod is doing activations for full app catalog acess, i'd shoot him an email
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sepherous View Post
    if you get a simon malls card (its basicly a prepaid visa ) you should be good to go if you want to purchase from the us app cat. i also read that rod is doing activations for full app catalog acess, i'd shoot him an email
    No. See Message #7.

    Quote Originally Posted by Escalus View Post
    I guess you're talking about a brand new device that has not been activated before? Doesn't work for a device which has been activated in UK for example?
  10. #10  
    I received my Pre 2 that I bought from eBay just then (yay!!). The seller says that he used it for a few days for testing, so I guess it was activated; but I'm trying to be cautious so as to not being locked out of the US app catalog... Would it be safe to put my Australian SIM card in there? I don't remember the activation process from my Pre since I've only done it once before!

    And thanks for the responses so far.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Escalus View Post
    I received my Pre 2 that I bought from eBay just then (yay!!). The seller says that he used it for a few days for testing, so I guess it was activated; but I'm trying to be cautious so as to not being locked out of the US app catalog... Would it be safe to put my Australian SIM card in there? I don't remember the activation process from my Pre since I've only done it once before!

    And thanks for the responses so far.
    Should be fine, with exception of no 3G coverage.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Liski View Post
    Hi,

    Is anyone able to get me a brand new unlocked Pre 2 but activate for US App Catalog & OTA and ship it to Australia?
    I thought the new version of Impostah covers this issue so no more proxy purchases from the US.

    http://www.precentral.net/activate-n...ps-any-country
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  13. #13  
    Yes, Impostah should allow you to activate a new unlocked Pre 2 (in Australia) but with access to the USA paid app catalog with a Simon Malls Gift Card (for credit card).

    I have a EU Pre 2 that I activated on Telstra in Australia (I didn't send it to the USA for activation). I can only get the free apps that are available here. Recent rumors suggest that HP are going to change something in relation to the paid app catalog within a few months. I'm fully speculating, but this could either mean that you can re-register a device for a different country or that the app catalog is being opened up to more countries. My preference would be for the latter. I do believe that they will do this very soon since the success of the new HP devices depends on this.

    Regardless, I am planning on getting a Pre 3. If the paid app catalog becomes available here then I will register it as an Australian device and if it doesn't then I will wait for Impostah to be compatible and will then register as a US device.
  14. #14  
    I installed Impostah on my Pre 2 but the "Activation" option didn't show up. Luckily the seller contacted me right at that time and told me that the device was activated on AT&T. So I created a new profile on the phone using Impostah and now have access to the full US catalogue (I think).

    Now I've gotta find someone who can trust me enough to let me use their details to activate a Simon Malls card!
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Escalus View Post
    I installed Impostah on my Pre 2 but the "Activation" option didn't show up. Luckily the seller contacted me right at that time and told me that the device was activated on AT&T. So I created a new profile on the phone using Impostah and now have access to the full US catalogue (I think).
    I hadn't noticed that. I think it dissapears on activated devices. Nice!

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

    Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jodihansen View Post
    Recent rumors suggest that HP are going to change something in relation to the paid app catalog within a few months. I'm fully speculating, but this could either mean that you can re-register a device for a different country or that the app catalog is being opened up to more countries. My preference would be for the latter. I do believe that they will do this very soon since the success of the new HP devices depends on this.
    Actually, the only word from Palm is that they are currently considering what to do, and hope (have not made a commitment) to make a decision about it (not actually do anything about it) in the coming months (which historically has meant "never").

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Escalus View Post
    I installed Impostah on my Pre 2 but the "Activation" option didn't show up.
    Up until yesterday, only the versions in the testing feed had this functionality.

    You should use version 0.8.7 or later.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    I hadn't noticed that. I think it dissapears on activated devices.
    That is not the case.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That is not the case.

    -- Rod
    No, it's not. My mistake. I had somehow installed a previous version

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

    Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  20. #20  
    You gotta wonder why HP don't support Australia, check out the # of replies and the # of views on these two threads on the Australian Tech Website whirlpool.net.au

    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions