Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    To be perfectly honest, that amount of traffic on Whirlpool is in no way spectacular.

(I'm on ur Whirlpool, deletin' ur posts!)
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Having come back to Adelaide from the States with my AT&T activated Pre 2 it seems Rod could have saved me the trip!
    After some opinions:

I currently have a new Pre 2 being shipped to me from HP Direct, and I am after some info on what carrier you guys use for your Pres?

I know that Telstra works for 3G, but after reading this thread apparantly Vodafone does as well? How limited is their coverage in the appropriate wireless bands?

Thanks!
    US GSM - Telstra and some Vodaphone
    EU GSM - Everybody else.
    I'm on Vodafone, using a Pre 2 shipped from the US (activated on AT&T). Don't seem to have any problems on the 850MHz network, but then I haven't really been out of Metropolitan Sydney so I don't know how that would go.
    HP doing business in Australia (see below for one eg), curious why their Palm division is not hooked into this;

HP Enterprise Services announced the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), the government's principal revenue collection agency, has signed a US$500 million services agreement to improve service and value to taxpayers. Under the five-year agreement, HP will deliver the agency's Centralized Computing Services, which support the ATO's new multisource model. HP will deliver Data Center Services to migrate ATO to a next-generation HP data center facility. The state-of-the-art facility will provide the ATO with greater agility, flexibility and compute power to meet its growing business demands.
    Vodafone has no 850MHz outside of metropolitan areas at this time. Unless you never leave the big smoke, the rule of US Pre2 for Telstra and EU Pre2 for Optus/Vodafone still applies.
    I use Vodafone in Sydney and have the same experience as you, ie: pretty good 3G outside of Syd, I generally get edge which to be honest, seems nearly as good as 3G on the small screen
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Thanks for your suggestions guys. Just one more question (for now):

I have heard of using a Simon Malls card as a substitute for a US credit card, but that requires someone to physically purchase it for you in the US.

What is to stop someone buying a VISA gift card off eBay to fill the same purpose? Will this work? Does the App Catalog require the card's address on file to be entered for it to work?

Thanks again for all your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meezzio View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions guys. Just one more question (for now):

I have heard of using a Simon Malls card as a substitute for a US credit card, but that requires someone to physically purchase it for you in the US.

What is to stop someone buying a VISA gift card off eBay to fill the same purpose? Will this work? Does the App Catalog require the card's address on file to be entered for it to work?

Thanks again for all your help.
    The credit card intermediary for the app catalog does address verification on the card before accepting it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    First of all, I would like to thank everyone who has given me helpful advice in this thread. Thanks to you guys I now have a shiny new Pre 2 with paid apps! I am extremely happy.

However I have 2 more newbie questions (sorry guys).

1. While I have successful purchased paid apps, I frequently get an error in the app store saying "This action cannot be completed. Please try again later." Is this something I am just going to have to live with due to be in Australia, or am I doing something wrong?

2. I have attempted to run the System Update tool, however it gets stuck on the searching for updates screen. How do I get 2.1?

Thanks so much!
    That's great that you have your new Pre 2.

I don't get the error that you get....but I do wonder if upgrading to 2.1 may actually fix your problem. Considering that you want to upgrade anyway, it's worth a try and then checking if the problem is fixed.

As for the update, I didn't wait for an over the air update (I actually got a message that I had the latest version and I was on 2.0.1). Instead, I used the webOS Doctor, which is a manual way to upgrade to 2.1. It basically wipes the applications off your device and upgrades it. Go to the official page to get enter your serial and get the correct version for your device. http://ws.palm.com/webosdoctor/sorry.htm
    You should be able to follow the instructions there. I hope this helps.

Jodi
    TouchPad for AUS this year :-) YEAHHHHH
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12