1.    #1  
    I'm a cellphone novice and need some education. I want a Palm Pre (2 or 3), but want to get away from Verizon. What are my options? If Verizon and Sprint operated the same type of system, why couldn't I purchase a phone anywhere and use it on Sprint. Are there any other providers out there?
    The 3 isn't out, yet.

I believe you can purchase an unlocked 2, but it isn't cheap.

If you got a Verizon one, you'd have to unlock it and make some modifications to get it working on a different carrier.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    can't unlock verizon phones. You should order the pre2 from verizonwireless.com
    Dont forget the Pre2 is also out in an unbranded GSM form too so could take it to ATT. Its all shaddy still if ATT will actually get the Pre3/Veer but like the Pre2 HP will have Unbranded GSM forms for them too.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    I would wait if I were you to find out which carriers the Pre3 will be on in the summer. It should be announced within the next few months.

In the meantime you can buy a Pixi Plus for $50 and use it on pageplus without contract or on Verizon without contract (look at the article on front page of Precentral or google it)