Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'n new at this Forum thing, but wanted to vent. This week I visited three Cellphone stores to check out the Palm Pre 2 and see if I liked it feel of the Pre-2 (I'm already sold on Palm/webos), or if I should wait for Pre-3. Only one place had one, but it didn't matter because the saleman probably wouldn't have sold it to me. He said I didn't want it because it was sooooo inferior to the top sellers. But when I questioned him about it I found out he new nothing about it. I found this to be true at the other two places too, but of course they didn't even have any to look at! HP needs to do something about this if they ever want to get in the game.
    Many sales people are uninformed about the phones and many that are have become jaded due to the problems with the original model.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    be sure you order a Pre2 on line, than go in and show them what they could have sold.
    Very true points... and it's an issue HP knows about. I got a chance to talk to a couple HP people at the Think Beyond event and was able to voice this to them. They were very cool about it and very straight forward about acknowledging the issue. As a matter of fact, a couple of developers I was standing with mentioned it to them at the event too - so they were getting an ear-full. LOL They said it was definitely on the radar for upcoming launches. We'll see!

In the meantime, the Pre 2 is a great device if you need one now. You can get them off contract for a decent price (depending upon where you are). The Pre 3 is an incredibly impressive device - we just don't know a launch date or carrier plans yet.
  5.    #5  
    Where can you get them off contract at a "decent" price?
    The salesman is probably a regular poster on Precentral. Just read the negative threads.

ET
    If HP are aware of it then they didn't do a very good job of dealing with the issue in the Pre2 launch. Whatever store training there was was months before availability. They haven't really done anything to this point that's likely to give the typical sales drone the slightest thought of pushing a customer off the usual Andriod/iPhone axis.
    You can find them on eBay, or in our Marketplace forum here @ P|C every so often.
    I posted in another thread I was bored today so I drove to the closest Verizon Store, walked in and was approached by a salesman. I asked about the Pre 2, he took me right over and let me play with the demo. Never attempted to direct me to anything else. For every bad salesman there is probably 1 or 2 good ones.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    If HP are aware of it then they didn't do a very good job of dealing with the issue in the Pre2 launch. Whatever store training there was was months before availability. They haven't really done anything to this point that's likely to give the typical sales drone the slightest thought of pushing a customer off the usual Andriod/iPhone axis.
    I highly doubt they would truly worry about it until they push the new line. The Pre 2 isn't really the device they are concentrating on right now with the Veer, Pre 3, and Touchpad devices coming down the pike.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I highly doubt they would truly worry about it until they push the new line. The Pre 2 isn't really the device they are concentrating on right now with the Veer, Pre 3, and Touchpad devices coming down the pike.
    Yeah, I realize that the Pre2 is a stopgap device, but the more they allow themselves to be dismissed as a viable option in the stores the harder it will be to ever retake that ground.

It is (or should be) an entirely different group handling the launch than those who are currently working on the Veer and Pre3.
    I don't see anything stop-gap in the Pre2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    From a business perspective I can see how one would consider it stop gap. It's probably being supported at the bare minimum by HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Besides the fact that spec-wise, it was already outdated 6 months ago, and that (honestly, wisely) neither carrier nor manufacturer is doing anything to promote it?
    I'm truly excited for the Pre 3, but the Pre 2 would only have been an impressive piece of hardware if it had come out 8 months ago.
    i don't even think hp wants to sell the pre2, let alone the sales people at verizon. hp has not bothered to advertise it on tv. it appears the phone was only released so hp had something 'new' to offer customers after the feb 9th show.
    Im glad that now that the Pre 2 is on Verizon people are starting to see how awesomely fast it is. It is amazing to me that people call it a spec bump. I think it was the first few P|C articles calling it that that made people think it was a bad phone spec wise. It is great. I wouldn't even hesitate to get it right now especially at 100 dollars that is a steal.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Besides the fact that spec-wise, it was already outdated 6 months ago, and that (honestly, wisely) neither carrier nor manufacturer is doing anything to promote it?
    I'm truly excited for the Pre 3, but the Pre 2 would only have been an impressive piece of hardware if it had come out 8 months ago.
    That is my problem with the 2 and 3, the specs are nice, when announced, but after the long release delay, not so much.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    That is my problem with the 2 and 3, the specs are nice, when announced, but after the long release delay, not so much.

Sent from my eVo
    It actually was available some days after its announcement... in France
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post

Sent from my eVo
    Not pointing and specific fingers here and certainly not at you Verwon as I know you no longer use a Pre, but I find statements like the above odd if coming from a current Pre user.

The forum is full of similar posts from existing owners and people knocking the Pre3. Many of us, myself included are still happily using a Pre- (hardware build quality aside) which is in essence 2+ year old tech. Sure the tech may be older than state of the art when Pre3 releases, but if it runs WebOS and the apps well, who cares?
    Last edited by bulliedog; 02/19/2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: typos
    It's really too bad, because it doesn't seem like a bad phone, as far as it goes. The problem is that HP has been rather timid about it from the beginning.

They released it oversees rather than at home, which is always a bad sign for any product launch. Even then, there was no real launch. It just sort of dribbled out the door. At home, it couldn't find a carrier, it had a carrier, it had a release date, it didn't have a release date. It would be on Verizon in November, December, the coming weeks, the coming months; it never had a chance.

Now that it's out, Verizon, can't figure out if it comes with free hotspot or not. This launch bears a lot of similarities to the Slate 500 launch. It is easy to blame Verizon. But Verizon has been launching and selling phones for a very long time. The common denominator of the Pre 2 and the Slate 500 is HP.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast