Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Google maps are pre-installed. Once you have it activated so you can make phone calls, try this:

Open Location Services app, uncheck google services so that the "find me by" option is GPS only.

Then go outside and see how fast gmaps locks on a position (puts a blue dot on the map), how big the blue circle around it is (measure of accuracy/confidence), and how accurate it is to where you are really standing zoom in all the way).

If the results of that are really crappy, try applying the patch that disables aGPS and then try it again (assuming that patch is available for 2.x).

I am very interested in what your results will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    Just got my new Pre 2 activated and tried Google Maps. It works great for me and I have yet to turn on wifi.
    Can you repeat the test with google services turned off? And see if that changes the accuracy from where the blue dot is to where you are actually standing?
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Can you repeat the test with google services turned off? And see if that changes the accuracy from where the blue dot is to where you are actually standing?
    With Google services off it took about ten more seconds, but found me accurately.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Getting mine tomorrow -- you can be sure I'll be putting it through its paces.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Sooo.. I just activated my Pre 2 about an hour ago... And so far it has known where I am without a hitch.

Frankly, I'm stunned.

I'll be out testing this for the rest of the day/night and will report back with the results.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaudenti View Post
    I ordered a Pre 2 last night, Fed Ex says I'll get it Thursday by 7 PM. (!!!) I'll try the GPS but I'll need some help, being new to Pre and GPS. I suppose first thing I should do is install Google maps? From the App catalog?

And the shiny side goes up, right?
    why ?? google maps should be already there
    Is there anyone who is still experiencing "no gps" issues? Must fail for a GPS position with Google Services turned off. Must also have never been a VZ Navigator subscriber.

Still have not received my device yet but want to test out one of the old tricks.

If so, please email me at erupnu@gmail.com

Also, I have an idea to test out if these issues are device specific, or location specific.

If the device I get works, then I want to trade that device with someone experiencing GPS issues. We can overnight each other the device. If the device I get works, then it's location based. If the device they receive still fails, also confirms location issue and not hardware.

If the device I get fails, then I need a braver soul to trade me with a working GPS device. Again, this will help confirm location or hardware issues.

In the interest of having things lined up, any volunteers? All of this will of course be compiled into the GPS Fix app to hopefully alleviate 99% of all issues.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I should mention that I subscribe to VZ Nav but have yet to use it on this device.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    why ?? google maps should be already there
    Yes, thanks. I have only a Treo education, so I may ask some silly questions. I fondled a Pre+ in a VZW store for 5 minutes many months ago, and that has been my entire hands-on Pre experience.
    Sharp YO-370 -> HP 200LX -> Palm m125 -> Palm Treo 680 -> Pre 2

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein
  10.    #150  
    Activated my Pre 2 this evening and tried out the GPS while driving around town and.......

.......so far so good. Using just 3G and GPS (no Google services) it picked up my location every time. I'd say it's been accurate so far to within about 10-15 feet at worst. Hasn't been perfect though...it's not working so great in my apartment, but I guess that's not too big a surprise. Just says it can't determine my location. I tried it out at several different spots around town while driving around and stationary and it was dead on every time. Updated my location continually while I was driving as well. Still not having any luck at my apartment (even with wifi in airplane mode). I'll give it another shot while driving to work tomorrow to see if tonight was a fluke. Not sure why it's not even finding my location in my apartment, but I don't really need gps in my bedroom too much.

So far so good for me anyway.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Here's what I've found from the first day with my Pre 2...

GPS was locked within 10 seconds *when* it worked.

I had a few times where I was unable to get a location, and sometimes after restarting a few times it worked.

I noticed 2.0.1 overall is buggy, especially with the browser so right now I feel like almost as if this may be the cause of the GPS not kicking in. I'll report back tomorrow.
  12.    #152  
    Except where othewise specified, ALL of my testing was done using ONLY 3G and GPS (no WiFi or Google Services).

So I tested the GPS out some more last night. I never could get a fix IN my apartment, but as soon as I went outside, it got a good fix on me after about 30 seconds. I have to qualify this result though...my apartments sit smack in the middle of a hole in Verizon's coverage in area. If I type in my address on their coverage map, the whole area around me has the highest level of coverage, but there's this one little hole that has the lowest level of coverage, and that's where my apartment is. That may be a factor.

I tried it out in my office this morning, but again no luck (unable to determine your location) with just 3G. I do work in a big building though, so again, I'm not sure how meaningful this is. For this test only, I also tried with WiFi and it put me to within 50-100 feet of where I actually am.

I tried it out again this morning and it was spot on the entire drive to work (about 20 minutes). I also walk 15 minutes from my car to my building and it was dead on there as well. I opened and closed it several different times during the walk, and each time it pinpointed my location. I have attached a couple of images that are the closest thing to proof I can provide. I'd say from the images it's pretty accurate...maybe to within a foot?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by YankBoy; 02/24/2011 at 07:27 AM.
    Got my Pre 2 yesterday. I'm not a big GPS user so I kind of forgot about it till this morning on my way to work. Was sitting behind some school bus waiting for the kiddies to load when it hit me. Turned on Google maps (took about 40 seconds) and it found me. WIFI was not turned on.

ET
  14.    #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Except where othewise specified, ALL of my testing was done using ONLY 3G and GPS (no WiFi or Google Services).

So I tested the GPS out some more last night. I never could get a fix IN my apartment, but as soon as I went outside, it got a good fix on me after about 30 seconds. I have to qualify this result though...my apartments sit smack in the middle of a hole in Verizon's coverage in area. If I type in my address on their coverage map, the whole area around me has the highest level of coverage, but there's this one little hole that has the lowest level of coverage, and that's where my apartment is. That may be a factor.

I tried it out in my office this morning, but again no luck (unable to determine your location) with just 3G. I do work in a big building though, so again, I'm not sure how meaningful this is. For this test only, I also tried with WiFi and it put me to within 50-100 feet of where I actually am.

I tried it out again this morning and it was spot on the entire drive to work (about 20 minutes). I also walk 15 minutes from my car to my building and it was dead on there as well. I opened and closed it several different times during the walk, and each time it pinpointed my location. I have attached a couple of images that are the closest thing to proof I can provide. I'd say from the images it's pretty accurate...maybe to within a foot?
    I guess nobody's impressed with my "proof"
    I'm impressed...I'm just, soft spoken!

I am worried about the lack of GPS at your apartment...this hole you speak of...are you sure you aren't built over a ceremonial graveyard for some long lost civilization...or the gates to hades, something like that?

It's good to hear that your Pre2 seems to be doing very well with it's GPS.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

16.    #156  
    I should also mention that the Weather Channel and Fandango apps are both able to get my location by GPS.
    I guess nobody's impressed with my "proof"
    Ha! You call that "proof"? You obviously checked gmaps to see where it showed where you were, took a screen shot, then drove miles and miles to the indicated position and took a picture of the street signs!

Thanks much for the effort and the posting! As for lack of GPS at your apartment, you are maybe just not getting a good GPS signal in there? Isn't Verizon cell coverage and the GPS signal 2 different things?

My Pre 2 is about 20 miles from home (as determined by Fed Ex tracking and not any form of GPS) and "On FedEx vehicle for delivery"! Unfortunately I won't be getting home tonight 'til well after 10 PM.

Supernoob question: I need to feed it an email address when I set it up? Do I give it the one I am going sync contacts with or another that I don't use or does it matter or should I wait and read any instructions that come with it or should I not worry about it and get back to work?
    Sharp YO-370 -> HP 200LX -> Palm m125 -> Palm Treo 680 -> Pre 2

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein
  18.    #158  
    Quote Originally Posted by gaudenti View Post
    Ha! You call that "proof"? You obviously checked gmaps to see where it showed where you were, took a screen shot, then drove miles and miles to the indicated position and took a picture of the street signs!

Thanks much for the effort and the posting! As for lack of GPS at your apartment, you are maybe just not getting a good GPS signal in there? Isn't Verizon cell coverage and the GPS signal 2 different things?

My Pre 2 is about 20 miles from home (as determined by Fed Ex tracking and not any form of GPS) and "On FedEx vehicle for delivery"! Unfortunately I won't be getting home tonight 'til well after 10 PM.

Supernoob question: I need to feed it an email address when I set it up? Do I give it the one I am going sync contacts with or another that I don't use or does it matter or should I wait and read any instructions that come with it or should I not worry about it and get back to work?
    You're asking questions above my pay grade, sorry! lol I just used my work email since it's the only one I have. You can put multiple accounts on though. When you set up your palm profile you'll use an email address for that as well.
    Do you by chance have, or ever have had a VZ Navigator subscription?

And yes, everyone is excited about your proof. I however will not get excited until things work with 99% reliability for all users.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  20.    #160  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Do you by chance have, or ever have had a VZ Navigator subscription?

And yes, everyone is excited about your proof. I however will not get excited until things work with 99% reliability for all users.
    No, I have never subscribed to VZ Nav. I've made sure not to even open the app on my Pre 2.

All I can say is that GPS was TERRIBLE here and now it works fine. You can look back and see how critical (whiny?) I've been about the GPS, so I'm really not blowing smoke by saying it works on my Pre 2.
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast