Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    1.) Were you indoors?

Would not work indoors or outdoors on 3G. Would work fine when in wifi only mode and indoors or near the wifi signal (i.e. outside and still connected to access point.)

2.) Do you live with tall buildings or mountains around?

No.

3.) Were you moving in a car, walking down the street, or sitting in a stationary position?

Moving car- tried with 3G on and no GPS lock using Google Maps or an app that needs GPS to determine location such as Weather Channel or YP Mobile.

Stationary- No GPS lock using 3G- only when connected or near a wifi access point.

Note: This was not the case using a Sprint Palm Pre. All apps needing a GPS fix worked, Sprint Navigation locked a signal both indoors (generally 1st floor bldg) and outdoors.

Immediately after subscribing to Verizon Navigator for the $9.99 fee, all of the above worked as expected similar to the Sprint Palm Pre. No issues. The subscription was initiate within the Verizon Navigator app and not using Verizon's web portal.

I'd be happy to test as I have access to both a VZ Pre 2 and Sprint Pre.
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJstreet View Post
    "Think" it's fixed? Are you getting mixed results using GPS while in 3G (not wi-fi)?
    I haven't activated it to my vzw number yet. I'm hoping I can figure out how to make it work without anything but the gps radio for position, and wifi or some method for loading google maps. So far it doesn't seem to do anything in that mode if google location services are off.

what I think they "fixed" was how fast it locks on a posiition, and that it starts with a much smaller "radius". That's a major improvement. Now I'm trying to figure out how to test the actual gps radio. I'm hoping I can do that without cell service, but it's possible that talking to the tower is required.

has anyone tried the same thing with an unlocked gsm pre2 in the us? That will help me understand what is possible and give me a comparison...
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    How did you activate your VZW pre 2 without attaching a number to it?
    m100 -> m125 -> zire 71 -> Treo 650 (VZW) -> Pre Plus (VZW) + TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    It matters as a device really should not require aGPS. It should be able to do things on it's own. That's the thing I need to test most, that standalone GPS works for the majority of people. Then, when you mix in aGPS, Google Services, etc, it only helps.
    The GPS chips found in phones require assistance in acquiring a lock, that's why most won't acquire a lock if you don't have cell service. It's just part of how they're designed.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Bleh -- so perhaps a good test is in order here.

\\ Your mission if you choose to accept it...
    Those of you without a VZ Nav subscription should throw up google maps while driving around town with WiFi off and see if the Pre 2 has even the slightest idea where you are.
    no its still glitchy. something tells me we have to pay extra...
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    No, they disabled aGPS without a subscription. Two different things and getting frustrating with everyone mixing things around.

EDIT: I should note that I meant to say "No, they may have disabled aGPS without a subscription". There is no 100% confirmation of this, yet. I however hold that this is true.
    are you available to coach me on some tests? I still have my pre2 as wifi and I can't get google maps to work unless google services are on. But, on my pre plus that is active on vzw, it works with the phone off, google services off, only wifi and gps enabled. I keep thinking I should be able to do that on my Pre2, and I want to figure that out before I switch over and activate the pre2 on vzw.

if the only difference is whether the ESN was activated by vzw (even though the phone radio is off) why would that make a difference? Once I understand, I can swap them and continue testing, and take requests from you to answer your questions.
    If I recall correctly, the way the GPS chip is programmed in *all* Palm Pres means that the hardware GPS must be enabled at least once via a cell data connection. Dev-only Pres, and perhaps Pre 2s, won't ever show results from the GPS radio. {Jonathan}
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    Bleh -- so perhaps a good test is in order here.

\\ Your mission if you choose to accept it...
    Those of you without a VZ Nav subscription should throw up google maps while driving around town with WiFi off and see if the Pre 2 has even the slightest idea where you are.
    I haven't checked it driving around but I checked Google maps at work today and it knew exactly where I was. No wifi.
    ahhhh. Can we find someone with a gsm pre2 confirm this is true for them as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    ahhhh. Can we find someone with a gsm pre2 confirm this is true for them as well?
    It's true. I have one.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    why would a one time activation to a celll tower have any impact on being able to connect with a satellite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    why would a one time activation to a celll tower have any impact on being able to connect with a satellite?
    It's not the connection, it's the chip on the device being activated (aka turned on).
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

If this helps at all... (I'm not going to read the whole thread to see if it was stated... sorry)

In my original Sprint Pre The GPS works fine with the phone completely off and WiFi completely off.

It can take longer to get a signal, but that *seems* to be based on when it last had a good fix. But it often only takes seconds, even indoors - as long as it is near a window.

Bruce
    I'm a bit confused. So, based on JesseJstreet's posts, is the GPS problem *not* resolved for every Pre 2 phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93 View Post
    I'm a bit confused. So, based on JesseJstreet's posts, is the GPS problem *not* resolved for every Pre 2 phone?
    In my case, my GPS functions did not work on Verizon's 3G network UNTIL I purchased the $9.99 Verizon Navigator subscription. Immediately after I added the feature, all GPS functions worked as I would expect them while using 3G.
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Looks like we are in a 50/50 camp. Either the improvements made make things smooth as butter, or you are completely void of functioning GPS without aGPS support (and therefore slaved to VZ Navigator).

I think the days of a slumbering chip are behind us. At least it narrows the field down a bit.

Still waiting on my VZ Pre 2 so I can begin real on-network testing and solutions.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Just got my new Pre 2 activated and tried Google Maps. It works great for me and I have yet to turn on wifi.
  19.    #139  
    I'll be posting my results tomorrow.
    I ordered a Pre 2 last night, Fed Ex says I'll get it Thursday by 7 PM. (!!!) I'll try the GPS but I'll need some help, being new to Pre and GPS. I suppose first thing I should do is install Google maps? From the App catalog?

And the shiny side goes up, right?
    Sharp YO-370 -> HP 200LX -> Palm m125 -> Palm Treo 680 -> Pre 2

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast