Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    I think its fixed, based on my use wince Friday.
    It makes sense if Verizon is still disabling assisted GPS for webOS device; you're seeing a fast lock when WiFi is enabled with Google Services turned on because that is what's being used to assist the GPS lock, however for those of you that have WiFi disabled and finding that you can't get a solid lock, that helps paint a clearer picture.

It'd be great for those of you that aren't having GPS issues to either A) turn off WiFi completely and test things and/or B) disable Google Services.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    "Think" it's fixed? Are you getting mixed results using GPS while in 3G (not wi-fi)?
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    The stories here sound a lot like my experience with my verizon pre plus. It appears to work initially but as you go along it gets worse and worse. If I have my wifi turned I can fairly reliably get a location however this is not true GPS. If I am traveling the dot that represents where I am on the map will not move with me. Unless I refresh my position it stays in the same place. On a pre with real aGPS enabled the dot will move on it's own.
    m100 -> m125 -> zire 71 -> Treo 650 (VZW) -> Pre Plus (VZW) + TouchPad
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    But you aren't getting a good fix with 3G, right? Wouldn't it need to work with 3G to get a fix while out driving/walking not near a wifi signal?
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Unless someone reports to me that they are able to get a fix with google services disabled and wifi turned off I am working under the assumption that GPS on the pre 2 is as mangled as the GPS on it's pre plus and pixi plus cousins.

I am able to get a "fix" on my pre plus with google services and wifi turned on. The problem is true GPS apps like Speed will not function properly without a true GPS reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by danib62 View Post
    Unless someone reports to me that they are able to get a fix with google services disabled and wifi turned off I am working under the assumption that GPS on the pre 2 is as mangled as the GPS on it's pre plus and pixi plus cousins.

I am able to get a "fix" on my pre plus with google services and wifi turned on. The problem is true GPS apps like Speed will not function properly without a true GPS reading.
    Exactly. I'm able to get a "fix" just fine with Google services and wifi turned on. The fix is almost immediate. As soon as I turn wi-fi off and go to 3G, any app that requests a location via GPS fails including Foursquare, Facebook, Weather Channel (find location), YP Mobile, etc.

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
  8.    #108  
    Oh well, I've got my free Pre 2 coming in the mail. If GPS doesn't work, maybe I can just sell it for $300 or something.
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Oh well, I've got my free Pre 2 coming in the mail. If GPS doesn't work, maybe I can just sell it for $300 or something.
    How did you get a free verizon pre 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by danib62 View Post

once I finally switch to the pre2 as my phone, I will test that. For now, the wife is how gmaps loads the maps, and only the gps radio for location.

on a side note, I tried tethering my pre2 to the mhs on my pre plus to load the maps, and gmaps said I have no internet connection. But when I pull in to starbucks or mcdonalds, that wifi works just fine. Still trying to figure that out, but I think it has something to do with google maps knowing that I'm talking to a router on a cellular network. Hopefully I can find someone with a MINI so I can try it again.
    Just purchased and added the VZ Navigator subscription ($9.99) on my Pre 2 and what do you know? Everything works as expected. Getting accurate fixes using 3G only in Google Maps, VZ Navigator, Foursquare, etc. So in my case, I can confirm that you must purchase a VZ Navigator to "turn" on full GPS functionality on the Pre 2.

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    I think the major issue here is that people are confusing GPS with location services.

GPS refers to the worldwide satellite system implemented by the US government that allows a GPS device to ascertain your location based on triangulation of three of the satellites. GPS is one kind of location service.

What people are confusing this with is other location services such as google services which estimates your location based on nearby wifi hotspots which google knows the location of based on their IP address, and cell tower triangulation.

An example of a device using google services to find your location is the iPod touch. The iPod touch does not have a GPS receiver yet is able to accurately find your location. This is because it uses nearby wifi signals to figure out your location. If you were to go to a remote location and use a mobile hotspot to connect your ipod touch to the internet you would get a wildly inaccurate reading of your current location, if you get one at all (for example I'm in boston and it will show me as being in upstate NY).
    I just turned off locate me by google and now it tells me I can't be found at all. I wonder if I can use that patch to disable gps to see if the gps radio will kick in...

I really want to figure this out before activating this for voice...
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Well, suppose you do the hack and get a fix in Airplane mode, no wifi or 3g required, perhaps you would have fixed what VZW possibly hasn't. Besides, or a normal Pre, no signal = no GPS right.
    Well, I ended up fixing it by adding VZ Navigator to my plan at $9.99 a month. They've obviously disabled full GPS until you're on board with this add-on and forking the cash over. Everything works as expected now using 3G. Has me a bit put off....

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJstreet View Post
    Just purchased and added the VZ Navigator subscription ($9.99) on my Pre 2 and what do you know? Everything works as expected. Getting accurate fixes using 3G only in Google Maps, VZ Navigator, Foursquare, etc. So in my case, I can confirm that you must purchase a VZ Navigator to "turn" on full GPS functionality on the Pre 2.
    I can confirm the same as above, paid for the VZ navigator and instant access to GPS is working great now, still worth the $10, even though Verizon appears to have a double standard. My Driod Eris with Google Maps never needed to have the VZ navigator option to work correctly.

Still on a side note, great phone!, super fast!!, love the small footprint this phone has. To all looking, it appears that Verizon has this shut off until you show them the money!
    Quote Originally Posted by onikagei View Post
    I can confirm the same as above, paid for the VZ navigator and instant access to GPS is working great now, still worth the $10, even though Verizon appears to have a double standard. My Driod Eris with Google Maps never needed to have the VZ navigator option to work correctly.

Still on a side note, great phone!, super fast!!, love the small footprint this phone has. To all looking, it appears that Verizon has this shut off until you show them the money!
    That confirms my find then. True- there are trade offs here. It's a surprisingly solid device, fast, and webOS 2.0 is a real treat to use.

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    This is with 3G aGPS turned on, Wifi off, and Google location services off as well. For those wondering.
    Well, I ended up fixing it by adding VZ Navigator to my plan at $9.99 a month. They've obviously disabled full GPS until you're on board with this add-on and forking the cash over. Everything works as expected now using 3G. Has me a bit put off....
    No, they disabled aGPS without a subscription. Two different things and getting frustrating with everyone mixing things around.

EDIT: I should note that I meant to say "No, they may have disabled aGPS without a subscription". There is no 100% confirmation of this, yet. I however hold that this is true.
    Last edited by spdsktr; 02/21/2011 at 12:48 PM.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    No, they disabled aGPS without a subscription. Two different things and getting frustrating with everyone mixing things around.
    What does it matter? The point is they've disabled something that other carriers (Sprint) don't, just to squeeze another penny out of subscribers. At least be upfront about it- no where do they specifically say you have to add this to your plan to get aGPS to work. Why target the Pre 2, Pix, or Pre Plus specifically?

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    What does it matter? The point is they've disabled something that other carriers (Sprint) don't, just to squeeze another penny out of subscribers. At least be upfront about it- no where do they specifically say you have to add this to your plan to get aGPS to work. Why target the Pre 2, Pix, or Pre Plus specifically?
    It matters as a device really should not require aGPS. It should be able to do things on it's own. That's the thing I need to test most, that standalone GPS works for the majority of people. Then, when you mix in aGPS, Google Services, etc, it only helps.

For those who's GOS fails -- give me some info.

1.) Were you indoors?
    2.) Do you live with tall buildings or mountains around?
    3.) Were you moving in a car, walking down the street, or sitting in a stationary position?

A lot of things affect GPS, so these details are critical to know before we can go saying Verizon borked GPS (which didn't happen IMO, but everyone will say they did).
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast