Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vaxick View Post
    I have yet to setup Wifi on my Pre 2. GPS works perfectly fine without it. In Google Maps, you'll get a quick lock right away and it takes about 10 to 20 seconds for it to get a solid lock on your exact position. It works very well in this phone. In 20 seconds, it was able to pinpoint me exactly when I was inside a house.
    But is wifi enabled (as in on) on your device? It doesn't have to be "setup".
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    But is wifi enabled (as in on) on your device? It doesn't have to be "setup".
    Just turning on wifi will not activate this. You must explicitly turn on Google Services and agree to those terms before this option is available to Location Services.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Alright, I'm convinced -- time to grab a Pre 2. I'll deal with a lack of mobile hotspot, I use Google Maps 1000% more
    Just got mine in today these are the apps I ran it on GPS:

Facebook places: almost immediately
    Google maps: not even 10 seconds to get a fix
    Public Radio: less than 30 seconds
    Yelp: almost immediately

If there's still a GPS bug, I'm not seeing it.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy_Serious View Post
    Google maps: not even 10 seconds to get a fix
    Yup, you should get a fix right away in Google Maps and once the program starts seeking out satellites, your location will get more accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Just turning on wifi will not activate this. You must explicitly turn on Google Services and agree to those terms before this option is available to Location Services.
    Right, but if Google Services is enabled with WiFi entirely disabled then you're not reaping the benefits of WiFi triangulation. I was just trying to get a feel if that's what was going on here; if WiFi triangulation is what was actually helping with the fast GPS-locks.
    I'm so confused. Are we using the correct term here? I don't see how WiFi can help with location. A WiFi signal comes from one, local WiFi router/hotspot and provides access to the internet. How can you get triangulation from a single point? Should we be saying triangulation from the cell signal?

Whatever, great to hear that Pre 2 has functioning VZW GPS. Thanks to all who have checked it out and let us know!
    Sharp YO-370 -> HP 200LX -> Palm m125 -> Palm Treo 680 -> Pre 2

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Right, but if Google Services is enabled with WiFi entirely disabled then you're not reaping the benefits of WiFi triangulation. I was just trying to get a feel if that's what was going on here; if WiFi triangulation is what was actually helping with the fast GPS-locks.
    Correct. But that is what we want. We need strong solid standalone GPS for this to work on the majority of devices. By default, Google Services is off, which leaves us with standalone. Besides, Google Services is so innaccurate.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Quote Originally Posted by gaudenti View Post
    I'm so confused. Are we using the correct term here? I don't see how WiFi can help with location. A WiFi signal comes from one, local WiFi router/hotspot and provides access to the internet. How can you get triangulation from a single point? Should we be saying triangulation from the cell signal?

Whatever, great to hear that Pre 2 has functioning VZW GPS. Thanks to all who have checked it out and let us know!
    The quick and dirty of Wifi triangulation:

Google in an their infinite wisdom (read: money) drove around with their Street View mapping service. A secondary point was to listen for Wifi networks. Each network has a unique ID that identifies it. They recorded these networks, along with the actual GPS position (from a really precise GPS receiver).

So, Wifi triangulation (aka Google Location Services) works by looking around you using your wifi connection. It finds the networks that are available and the ID's for each. It then tells google "Hey, I know these networks are near me and the strength of the signal). Google says "Hey, I know 3 of those networks. They are at approximately 34.64585986,-102.8364640 (aka 123 Main St)".

It's like being able to figure out where you are by looking at your neighbors. It's not very accurate, but close enough that if you gave me the position it reported, I could go there and actually see you 50 meters away or so. For most purposes, it is great for a general location. For things like geocaching, well, you'll be searching for a while.

Cell phones use this a lot since they have a data connection and an underpowered GPS receiver. In a pinch, it works to get general location information when no other data is available (such as GPS satellites).
    - James Harris

Author of:

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Correct. But that is what we want. We need strong solid standalone GPS for this to work on the majority of devices. By default, Google Services is off, which leaves us with standalone. Besides, Google Services is so innaccurate.
    Yeah it is. When I first start Google Maps, my location is a good distance from where I am. Once the phone locks onto some satellites, then I get the accuracy I'm looking for. Still, it's nice to have a somewhat accurate location right when it begins instead of having to wait for the GPS to find the satellites.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    weeee! Just ordered my Pre 2, hope to no longer be lost by midweek!
    I just got my Pre2 on Friday and even with tweaking the device and doing *22899 updates and the like, I still continue to have issues with apps like Google Maps finding my location.
    Okay, I'm a whimp. I was going to try and wait for the Pre 3 and in less than a week after its release I just ordered my Pre 2. lol

ET
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by onikagei View Post
    I just got my Pre2 on Friday and even with tweaking the device and doing *22899 updates and the like, I still continue to have issues with apps like Google Maps finding my location.
    Hmm...I'm hoping that with a weekend to have more users get the device and test it out we can have some more feedback on this.
    I'm still using it without 3G. But with just wifi/gps it's been really fast and accurate so far.
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'm still using it without 3G. But with just wifi/gps it's been really fast and accurate so far.
    Out and about though, one would need to use it with 3G, right?
    I have not been able to get Google Maps, or any other app for that matter (Foursqure) to find my GPS location on my Pre 2 while using 3G. It works beautifully on wi-fi only, but does me no good when I'm out and about. Are we seeing mixed results here?
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
  18.    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJstreet View Post
    I have not been able to get Google Maps, or any other app for that matter (Foursqure) to find my GPS location on my Pre 2 while using 3G. It works beautifully on wi-fi only, but does me no good when I'm out and about. Are we seeing mixed results here?
    ruh roh...starting to sound a lot like the Pre Plus. Works great for some. Terrible for others.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I'll just risk being obnoxious and repost this.

ebag33's GPS hack, which enabled a lot of users to use true standalone GPS, and improved GPS functionality for some VZW Pre users, can be performed on a Pre 2. Needless to say, read all the info, disclaimers, et cetera.
    Using a hack is all fine and dandy, if it works, but I think the ongoing question here is did Verizon FIX the gps issue on the Pre 2. Doesn't seem like that's been answered here. Perhaps we need a few more samples... anyone?
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
  20.    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJstreet View Post
    Using a hack is all fine and dandy, if it works, but I think the ongoing question here is did Verizon FIX the gps issue on the Pre 2. Doesn't seem like that's been answered here. Perhaps we need a few more samples... anyone?
    Yeah, the jury is definitely still out. I was initially encouraged, but a couple recent posts have me wondering if the issue is really fixed, or just improved.
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast