Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415
Results 281 to 290 of 290
Like Tree3Likes
  1. TimBoch's Avatar
    Posts
    312 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    #281  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Over the last 2 weeks, aI've been traveling. My Pre2 hasn't given me much help...I attribute it to Verizon's limitations on Palm/Hp hardware. At first, my Pre2 pehaved better than my Pre+, now, there is little if any difference. I get real moving locks about 20% of the time...maybe less. The rest of the time I get the static locks on cell towers and maybe wifi hotspots. It's driving me crazy....no pun intended.
    I have been noticing this too with my Verizon Pre2 for about the last month. I thought Verizon didn't interfere with the GPS on the Pre2, but it sure has been bad lately.
    Tim Boche

    Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
  2. #282  
    Quote Originally Posted by TimBoch View Post
    I have been noticing this too with my Verizon Pre2 for about the last month. I thought Verizon didn't interfere with the GPS on the Pre2, but it sure has been bad lately.
    That's interesting. I got my Pre2 in July, so my experience has only been for about 2.5 months. And the early part of my Pre2 use indicated things were better...a good bit better. I still would have trouble, but usually got a real lock I could use. So what is the deal here? How has Verizon found a way to selectively block the Pre2 when before it was limited to the Pre+ and maybe Pixi+?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

  3. #283  
    I have been using the Verizon Pre 2 for a little over a year and have noticed that GPS is worse now than a year ago.

    I could get a lock with the HP Maps app with little to no issue before, and now I have to use VZ Navigator to get working GPS. I tried the GPS Fix tricks (app), and unlike my Pre Plus running 1.4.5, launching VZ Nav does not wake the GPS up unless it is subscribed to.

    With 1.4.5, I use BFG Maps with great success and really wish I could use it on my Pre 2!! My goal is to avoid letting Verizon have their way, and my $5 a month. I don't necessarily need navigation, but like to use maps to pre-plan trips and such.
  4. #284  
    Save your $5 per month. I give it to them and it still sux. Sometimes VZ Navigator works, but usually it doesn't, so what good is it?
  5. #285  
    Quote Originally Posted by fahzz View Post
    Save your $5 per month. I give it to them and it still sux. Sometimes VZ Navigator works, but usually it doesn't, so what good is it?
    GPS is also slow and unreliable on my wife's Droid X through Verizon. It's a shame that because we don't have the latest and greatest, Verizon will take that $5 even if the service is useless. I will likely cancel it if it works the same for me as it does you.

    Thanks for the feedback!
  6. #286  
    The google maps preware app is a must if you have a pre 2. While it may not be the nice enyo maps app, it has all the google traffic data, and has a follow mode where it tracks your position quite well I've found.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

    One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  7. #287  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    The google maps preware app is a must if you have a pre 2. While it may not be the nice enyo maps app, it has all the google traffic data, and has a follow mode where it tracks your position quite well I've found.
    I love 72ka's version of Google Maps, but it only works when it gets the GPS information. Something about Palm devices on Verizon is preventing the GPS information from getting where it normally would go in the device.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

  8. #288  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I love 72ka's version of Google Maps, but it only works when it gets the GPS information. Something about Palm devices on Verizon is preventing the GPS information from getting where it normally would go in the device.

    It's very aggravating. I picked up an old-
    school Sprint Pre (for free) to set up as a wifi device for my son to play with. Once I got the activation bypassed, just out of curiosity, I opened up the Sprint Nav while on wifi and got a GPS lock in literally 10 seconds!!!
  9. #289  
    Quote Originally Posted by jccjmml7 View Post
    It's very aggravating. I picked up an old-
    school Sprint Pre (for free) to set up as a wifi device for my son to play with. Once I got the activation bypassed, just out of curiosity, I opened up the Sprint Nav while on wifi and got a GPS lock in literally 10 seconds!!!
    SEE?! SEE?! There is a vast (big) red-wing conspiracy against Palm/webOS!

    I really am tired of this problem...it would be nice not to have to worry about whether I'll be tracking my whereabouts on my own or not. Trying to save a little money, I didn't rent the Garmin where2? GPS from Avis. I think it is $14/day. But without GPS functionality on my phone, I will have to reconsider. I don't want to leave webOS yet (and if things improve with Open webOS coming along, I would like to stay with webOS), but I'm going to keep my options and eyes open to something like the Samsung Galaxy III S (or it's mini version) should I have to move over to the green side.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

  10. #290  
    Now it's got me thinking about my next phone....the Pre 3. Gonna have to look into the GPS thing on that one.

    I would hate to make a decision based solely on one factor, but GPS is important enough for me to look elsewhere too.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions