Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Tried the TAB method with GPS Fix and it works great.

I could see the accuracy tighten up rather quickly. Mapping Tool Pro showed my accuracy at 10ft within a minute and I could see my dot move around on the Bing maps app. Now I know how to get the GPS working the next time the family and I go up north.
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJstreet View Post
    Just purchased and added the VZ Navigator subscription ($9.99) on my Pre 2 and what do you know? Everything works as expected. Getting accurate fixes using 3G only in Google Maps, VZ Navigator, Foursquare, etc. So in my case, I can confirm that you must purchase a VZ Navigator to "turn" on full GPS functionality on the Pre 2.
    I was so hopeful when purchasing this phone back in July. I heard some negatives, none GPS related, but went against the judgment of others and believed this was the perfect phone for me, and it was for a short time.

My noticeable GPS issues started on a trip to Chicago. The night before, my phone received the update from 2.0.1 to 2.1.0. While in Chicago, I had planned to use Google maps extensively for public transit directions, since that was our mode of transportation after taking the train there. I couldn't get a location no matter what I tried, spent a long time on the phone with Palm support while on vacation and then with Verizon support after I returned home to Michigan. This is how I learned of GPS fix, which running still did not fix.

After reading this forum while back, I have relied on the T,A,B quite extensively and it is the only thing that keeps me from running this phone over with my truck, but lately this hasn't even worked 100%. Sometimes it will say tracking failed, sometimes I have to enable google location services then disable again, restart, close and reopen, turn on wifi, turn off wifi, play around with google maps, which has now become bing maps, to see if that will help the phone continue to track once I have initiated tracking through James' program. I have even played around with enabling tracking at set intervals in the background with some success but not enough to be truly impressive. For a humorous but frustrating example, as I am racing to be the first to check in to a location on foursquare with my husband, he instantly and effortlessly pulls it up on his iphone, while I am left in the dust, going into foursquare hoping to be lucky enough for it to find my location, then when I'm not, having to go into GPS Fix, pull out my keyboard, TAB, wait, sometimes have to do it a second time or more, then back to foursquare...kind of takes the fun out of having a smartphone. I also have been upset that I can't get another app "smartrunner" to map my entire run. The voice alerts for distance are correct throughout my entire run, but the map and details are not recorded completely because my guess is something is wrong with the GPS.

I'm thinking I could probably get a replacement device, but after reading these forums, I'm fairly certain, I'll have the same problems all over again. Am ready to cave and just go with Android of Apple like everyone told me, but my 30 day worry free guarantee period is over and I'm stuck for 2 yrs, unless I want to pay full price for a phone.

Ultimately after my lengthy description and ranting, I am wondering if paying the extra money and subscribing to VZNavigator will fix all these troubles and eliminate the requirement to launch another program just to make the GPS work in program I actually wanted to use. It is ridiculous to spend an extra 120 bucks a year, but I am beyond frustrated and willing to fork over the extra cash and try this route at this point.

Someone please help me out...
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    The Patch is not for 2.0, but the App itself works fine without it. In 1.4.5, the patch is only needed to help exploit a loophole. It is by no means required by the app and the app can stand on it's own two feet by itself.
    Sorry to jump in on this almost a year later. This poster is confused about the difference between the patch for 1.4.5 and the app for 2.0.
    Last edited by wsmyth; 02/27/2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Used multi quote by mistake; removed one of the quotes.
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmyth View Post
    Sorry to jump in on this almost a year later. This poster is confused about the difference between the patch for 1.4.5 and the app for 2.0.
    I am not confused... I am the developer.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    btbkilla and RumoredNow like this.
    LOL nice try James

Sorry about that.

You guys (and gals) crack me up.
    Long term user here. First Pre Plus, then Franken Pre 2, Now official Pre 2. All Verizon.

Pre Plus - Well documented issues. Even with James Harris GPS Fix, did not work far more often then I could get a fix.

FrankenPre 2 - started with GSM Pre 2 and swapped Verizon CDMA Comm Board. Running 2.2.4 as WR device. Never could get GPS to work. GPSFix did not help. VZ Navigator was not in my build so I could not test.

Pre2 - Just ordered and hoped it would work. NOPE. The only way I can get a GPS Fix is to first launch VZ Navigator. WHen I do fix come up in seconds! Harris's GPSFix does not help. When I click the VZ Nav button on GPS Fix, VZ Nav launches, but if I hit 'decline', no fix come in.

So I can only conclude that VZW has done something to ensure you can not get a GPS Fix on any of these devices unless you launch and subscribe to VZ Nav.

Sadly, this is probably my #1 reason to drop the platform (awaiting Win8 phones).
    And if I can add one more thought to this: I just got a Pre 3, SAME ****ing GPS issues. Did not work unless I had VZ navigator running.

Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    Long term user here. First Pre Plus, then Franken Pre 2, Now official Pre 2. All Verizon.

Pre Plus - Well documented issues. Even with James Harris GPS Fix, did not work far more often then I could get a fix.

FrankenPre 2 - started with GSM Pre 2 and swapped Verizon CDMA Comm Board. Running 2.2.4 as WR device. Never could get GPS to work. GPSFix did not help. VZ Navigator was not in my build so I could not test.

Pre2 - Just ordered and hoped it would work. NOPE. The only way I can get a GPS Fix is to first launch VZ Navigator. WHen I do fix come up in seconds! Harris's GPSFix does not help. When I click the VZ Nav button on GPS Fix, VZ Nav launches, but if I hit 'decline', no fix come in.

So I can only conclude that VZW has done something to ensure you can not get a GPS Fix on any of these devices unless you launch and subscribe to VZ Nav.

Sadly, this is probably my #1 reason to drop the platform (awaiting Win8 phones).
    This is Verizon at its best. Unless the platform is one they can't screw with (iPhone) or is a phone they are pushing big time, GPS just doesn't work worth a crap on their phones. Had a BB Curve 8330, and then the wife had an 8530, all from Verizon, and they all had crappy GPS, while these same phones have good GPS on other carriers.

Really wish the phone manufacturers would just prevent their GPS' from being blocked. It really is ridiculous.
    Hi, I have verizon and a Pre 2. I just tried the TAB method on GPS fix, with no luck. Does anybody have any recommendations on how to get (the crappy) Bing maps to register my location?

Can't believe I give verizon money every month when they are such a pain
    Quote Originally Posted by meistromaster View Post
    Hi, I have verizon and a Pre 2. I just tried the TAB method on GPS fix, with no luck. Does anybody have any recommendations on how to get (the crappy) Bing maps to register my location?

Can't believe I give verizon money every month when they are such a pain
    Well, I can't help you on Bing Maps, because my Pre2 has the old Google Maps icon, and when I tap it, it asks me to upload to the new maps app (Bing Maps), so I tap it and get the app store page but it says tap to launch...no option to download or 'buy' bing maps. When I tap to launch, I get the same page I got at the beginning, asking me to "Please tap here to update to the new Maps app, or search for Maps in the App Catalog".

So it is an infinite loop for me. I now use the Google Maps homebrew version by 72ka. It works often. I have found that installing MojoTracker and tapping on it before I open Google Maps improves my chances to get a lock.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I was fishing along the Ohio River yesterday, brought up Bing Maps and the GPS found me pretty fast.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Well, I can't help you on Bing Maps, because my Pre2 has the old Google Maps icon, and when I tap it, it asks me to upload to the new maps app (Bing Maps), so I tap it and get the app store page but it says tap to launch...no option to download or 'buy' bing maps. When I tap to launch, I get the same page I got at the beginning, asking me to "Please tap here to update to the new Maps app, or search for Maps in the App Catalog".

So it is an infinite loop for me. I now use the Google Maps homebrew version by 72ka. It works often. I have found that installing MojoTracker and tapping on it before I open Google Maps improves my chances to get a lock.
    I have the same issue, infinite loop! Wonder if there is a way to at least remove the application..
    #staycoolmybabies

There is a patch called "maps rebooting patch" that should solve your infinite loop bing map issue. Worked for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickeroo View Post
    There is a patch called "maps rebooting patch" that should solve your infinite loop bing map issue. Worked for me!
    Thanks for the tip on this patch!

I'm not sure I can install this patch in my current state. I don't have the Bing Maps app installed at this time. I suppose I have to follow some recommendations on how to fix this (I have been told that getting Bing Maps back on my device has been covered many times on this forum...I just need to research before I begin so I don't mess things up) and once Bing Maps is back on, I'll apply this patch.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Thanks for the tip on this patch!

I'm not sure I can install this patch in my current state. I don't have the Bing Maps app installed at this time. I suppose I have to follow some recommendations on how to fix this (I have been told that getting Bing Maps back on my device has been covered many times on this forum...I just need to research before I begin so I don't mess things up) and once Bing Maps is back on, I'll apply this patch.
    Yes, research, but if I recall correctly this patch will block the old google maps which then should allow bing to be downloaded or updated thru the catalog.....just a patch so should be easily removed if necessary......I believe it is discussed in the veer thread, I have a veer and pre2 and this worked on both.
    I must be to only one left! LOL The GPS is much better than my pre+, I been using the google map homebrew and it locks on and accurate in 15 to 20 sec. Sometime I have the hit the update button. hope this help, I dont pay for Nav.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjtkcepm View Post
    I must be to only one left! LOL The GPS is much better than my pre+, I been using the google map homebrew and it locks on and accurate in 15 to 20 sec. Sometime I have the hit the update button. hope this help, I dont pay for Nav.
    I find the GPS on my Verizon Pre 2 works well, but after struggling to get a lock a bit the bullet and subscribed to VZNAV. Once I launch it I get a lock immediately.

VZ stinks, but the Pre 2 GPS works well.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickeroo View Post
    Yes, research, but if I recall correctly this patch will block the old google maps which then should allow bing to be downloaded or updated thru the catalog.....just a patch so should be easily removed if necessary......I believe it is discussed in the veer thread, I have a veer and pre2 and this worked on both.
    Well I just went ahead and installed the patch and it worked! I now have the Maps app. Thank you!

Over the last 2 weeks, aI've been traveling. My Pre2 hasn't given me much help...I attribute it to Verizon's limitations on Palm/Hp hardware. At first, my Pre2 pehaved better than my Pre+, now, there is little if any difference. I get real moving locks about 20% of the time...maybe less. The rest of the time I get the static locks on cell towers and maybe wifi hotspots. It's driving me crazy....no pun intended.