Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    they don't contradict. There are multiple techniques i use on GPS. Some work in 1.4.5, some in 2.0, some work better than others. For 2.0, i simply do not try the 1.4.5 specific ones.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Ok, I have Preware installed on my Palm Pre 2 and it says that GPS Fix is a "placeholder" only...how can I get it? Sorry if these questions seem basic.
    The Patch is not for 2.0, but the App itself works fine without it. In 1.4.5, the patch is only needed to help exploit a loophole. It is by no means required by the app and the app can stand on it's own two feet by itself.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

I got a VZW Pre 2 three days ago and absolutely loved it! It is my first webOS device and I was blown away by it... and then I realized gmaps and other location aware apps like Foursquare weren't working. Unfortunately, I realized this on a trip to downtown Chicago where I had planned to use Yelp, gmaps, and some other similar apps to navigate my way around the city. It ended up being a frustrating experience to say the least.

I hopped on the precentral forums today to see if there were any solutions and I came across this thread. I literally ready every post in here and tried EVERYTHING that was suggested. Nothing worked until I tried the GPSfix app. It instantly activated my GPS and now gmaps, Foursquare, Yelp and the rest run like a charm! Now my webOS experience is fully complete. Thank you Mr. Harris! You are my new hero!
    Uhm.. hey guys.

Just stopping by to say that I have never used the GPS Fix app before, on the Pre Plus or Pre 2.

Out of curiosity I installed it this morning on my Pre 2.

Holy **** wow! With the GPS Fix app, used in conjunction with 'T,A,B', I have a real, true, LOCK on my GPS. Down to the freaking window in my house. OMFG! I even walk around the house and watch the GPS triangulate my position down to the last foot......

Makes me realize how much VZW cripples the GPS on these phones.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    new Pre 2, no luck getting a GPS fix. Only time i get a fix is when i use google services and turn on my wifi. that doesn't do me much good, as I know how to get to my house. I friggin hate verizon for this.
    i'm surprised, I've had no trouble getting a good fix. I don't have vznav. Only takes about 3 seconds from when I open google maps. It's not down to the foot, but it's well within 5-10.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Consequence_9 View Post
    i'm surprised, I've had no trouble getting a good fix. I don't have vznav. Only takes about 3 seconds from when I open google maps. It's not down to the foot, but it's well within 5-10.
    thanks maybe doing something wrong peace
    Quote Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
    new Pre 2, no luck getting a GPS fix. Only time i get a fix is when i use google services and turn on my wifi. that doesn't do me much good, as I know how to get to my house. I friggin hate verizon for this.
    Are you trying to get a fix while inside, or outside?
    - James Harris

Author of:

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Are you trying to get a fix while inside, or outside?
    Inside, but hand out the window, holding the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
    Inside, but hand out the window, holding the phone.
    1.) Step outside. Completely outside. Enough that you have a clear view of the sky.
    2.) Launch GPS Fix
    3.) Open slider to reveal keyboard.
    4.) Tap the key T. Then A, then B (to spell TAB)
    5.) Wait 2 minutes
    6.) Come back inside and report
    - James Harris

Author of:

I have had mine for about a week now and Google maps launches much faster and I get a fix almost immediately. My + would take a minute or two to launch and would have a circle about an inch around the location meaning it was not very accurate.
    700P...755...Pre+...Pre 2...Touchpad
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    1.) Step outside. Completely outside. Enough that you have a clear view of the sky.
    2.) Launch GPS Fix
    5.) Wait 2 minutes
    Finally works using this procedure. I was trying all kinds of weird stuff with no luck. I was about to drop Verizon all together and then I finally get the GPS to work. Now if Verizon would only come up with a low cost data plan like ATT.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    2.) Launch GPS Fix
    5.) Wait 2 minutes
    This worked for me too. My GPS performance on Googlemaps has been pretty bad up until now. This really makes things work like I'd hoped it would. Thanks for the app and the great tip. So "T" initiates tracking... what does "A" and "B" do exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by dki378 View Post
    This worked for me too. My GPS performance on Googlemaps has been pretty bad up until now. This really makes things work like I'd hoped it would. Thanks for the app and the great tip. So "T" initiates tracking... what does "A" and "B" do exactly?
    A & B are also tracking. What I see on webOS, is sometimes the GPS Chip is asleep at the wheel. One shake (T) does not wake it up, but if you shake it 3 times (TAB), then it wakes up and gets to work.
    - James Harris

Author of:

16.    #256  
    A & B are also tracking. What I see on webOS, is sometimes the GPS Chip is asleep at the wheel. One shake (T) does not wake it up, but if you shake it 3 times (TAB), then it wakes up and gets to work.
    Does this work on 2.1?

What are the proper settings for GPS Fix? Or does launching the app the only thing you need to do?
    I'd like to mention that the only way for me to get reliable gps is by disabling Google Services. Even with James' GPS fix, google services just doesn't work. Maybe its my area, but for some reason I can never get a signal when the services are on.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Does this work on 2.1?

What are the proper settings for GPS Fix? Or does launching the app the only thing you need to do?
    Works on all versions. Opening the app by itself does not do anything. You must enable the ongoing fix if you want it and/or use the manual fix button.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    is gps fix the one in preware? it says it's a placeholder...
    zcpap likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by maoshouse View Post
    is gps fix the one in preware? it says it's a placeholder...
    GPS Fix is only available in the App Catalog.

The Patch is only for Verizon Pre+ Users running 1.4.5 or less (in Preware). It is not available for a Pre 2 or webOS 2.x.
    - James Harris

Author of: