Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Just installed. Works very well. Google Maps locks on faster than when used in conjunction with VZ Navigator! I did not have press the T, A, or B keys to get it to work. I will use this for a few days and get back to you.
    Don't use VZ Navigator in your tests. It can spoil the testing results. Just use the T, A, B method if things get "stuck" until I re-work the app some more.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Spdsktr, I have noticed something strange with your method.

I had to redoctor my pre plus twice now to 2.1. After the initial upgrade your trick worked amazingly well. My gps was spot on and direct. After the next doctor it still worked very well, I typed TAB in gps fix and I switched back to google maps and I instantly got a lock. Now after the 3rd doctor the TAB method doesn't seem to work anymore. I find that the only way to get a accurate lock is enabling Google services, and even then it doesn't move with me It will jump to my position about every 15 seconds or everytime I press T in gps fix, after about 3 minutes then it will start tracking perfectly. The Google services method works fine but I think this information will be of use to you.
    I unsubscribed from VZNavigator service the other day. GPSFix is working very well!
    Drove a 4 hour trip recently, had Trapster and speedCheck running the whole time FLAWLESSLY within the first 2 minutes of getting in the car.

VERDICT: Fixed.

You know what? Thanks Verizon. Thank you, for once.
    GPS Fix doesn't work as consistently since the update to 2.x. It is much more finicky now. I find that I am relaunching GPS Fix and GoogleMaps all the time now to try to get them to work together. This is a Verizon Pre 2, WebOS 2.01.
    Are you running the background process with it, or just a launch and fix when needed?
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

I think that I am just launching and running the fix. However, the fix does not seem to be working for me anymore. It just spins and spins and will fail after 5 minutes or so. Do I run it in the background by simply closing the app?
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93 View Post
    I think that I am just launching and running the fix. However, the fix does not seem to be working for me anymore. It just spins and spins and will fail after 5 minutes or so. Do I run it in the background by simply closing the app?
    Reboot device. Open GPS Fix, set first option "Enable" to yes. Set frequency to about 20 min. Should be good to go from then on.

You only need to use the button for those random times you want to manually fix it, or if you do not like the idea of the background process running and eating battery life.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Rebooted device. GPS Fix is enabled and set at the default 15 minutes. Waited a few minutes - no lock in Google Maps. Pressed GPS Fix button. Still spinning after 15 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93 View Post
    Rebooted device. GPS Fix is enabled and set at the default 15 minutes. Waited a few minutes - no lock in Google Maps. Pressed GPS Fix button. Still spinning after 15 minutes.
    Verizon, Sprint, or AT&T? webOS 1.4.5 or 2.0? Inside, or outside?
    - James Harris

Author of:

Verizon with 2.0.1. Both.
    Get a replacement device. May have a bad chip in it.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Interesting article:

iPhone Secrets and iPad Secrets and iPod Touch Secrets

It really does look like Verizon is still blocking all aGPS on Palm Phones without the Navigator. I can get a lock on my phone when I go outside and let the program run for a minute. But inside a building or getting a lock within 15 seconds is impossible.

Fortunately in a car you should have pretty good exposure to GPS satelites and not need very in depth directions for at least a minute or two.
  15.    #235  
    Quote Originally Posted by NScott View Post
    Interesting article:

iPhone Secrets and iPad Secrets and iPod Touch Secrets

It really does look like Verizon is still blocking all aGPS on Palm Phones without the Navigator. I can get a lock on my phone when I go outside and let the program run for a minute. But inside a building or getting a lock within 15 seconds is impossible.

Fortunately in a car you should have pretty good exposure to GPS satelites and not need very in depth directions for at least a minute or two.
    I'm about ready to chalk this up to a bad GPS chip or whatever and put the fault on HP/Palm. On my Pre Plus, I don't know what the deal was. I could only get a lock with VZ Nav and then could only update my location by closing and reopening VZ Nav. On my Pre 2, however, I get a fairly quick lock with no VZ Nav and only GPS enabled. It's not 15 seconds, but neither are most GPS units. Also, once I have a lock, I have it. It constantly updates as I'm driving/walking. The major glitches are: as you mentioned, I get NO GPS inside (even with VZ Nav running); around tall buildings, the GPS accuracy drops way off and I have hard time initiating a lock around tall buildings. These scenarios don't seem to fit with VZ blocking the GPS. Especially since on my Pre Plus I could get lock inside if I launched VZ Nav first. On the Pre 2, I get nothing inside, w/ or w/o VZ Nav.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I'm about ready to chalk this up to a bad GPS chip or whatever and put the fault on HP/Palm. On my Pre Plus, I don't know what the deal was. I could only get a lock with VZ Nav and then could only update my location by closing and reopening VZ Nav. On my Pre 2, however, I get a fairly quick lock with no VZ Nav and only GPS enabled. It's not 15 seconds, but neither are most GPS units. Also, once I have a lock, I have it. It constantly updates as I'm driving/walking. The major glitches are: as you mentioned, I get NO GPS inside (even with VZ Nav running); around tall buildings, the GPS accuracy drops way off and I have hard time initiating a lock around tall buildings. These scenarios don't seem to fit with VZ blocking the GPS. Especially since on my Pre Plus I could get lock inside if I launched VZ Nav first. On the Pre 2, I get nothing inside, w/ or w/o VZ Nav.
    If you read the article it explains how you can really only get locks inside based on aGPS from tower triangulation. So the fact that you and I can get no lock period inside indicates that aGPS is disabled.

On the Pre Plus opening Verizon Navigator unlocked aGPS and then it worked inside. Your experiences fit perfectly with the problem being aGPS and Verizon actually making the problem worse in 2.0 by not turning aGPS on when Navigator is opened. Fortunately Palm has improved the basic GPS chip, and it seems to work well outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by NScott View Post
    If you read the article it explains how you can really only get locks inside based on aGPS from tower triangulation. So the fact that you and I can get no lock period inside indicates that aGPS is disabled.

On the Pre Plus opening Verizon Navigator unlocked aGPS and then it worked inside. Your experiences fit perfectly with the problem being aGPS and Verizon actually making the problem worse in 2.0 by not turning aGPS on when Navigator is opened. Fortunately Palm has improved the basic GPS chip, and it seems to work well outside.
    You are correct, but behind the times my friend. Jonathan Ezor already got Verizon to cop to blocking aGPS to 3rd party apps. They reserve it for Verizon apps only.

Verizon Wireless to customers: GPS issue? What GPS issue? | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

They also admit that the loopholes I exploit with GPS Fix (and the patch) in 1.4.5 are a bug that they will close. They closed that in webOS 2.0.

They then promised location based API's for developer's, but then failed to deliver that for webOS:

Verizon Wireless announces location APIs, but not for webOS | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

Verizon did not make the problem worse in 2.0, they made it more consistent. They continue to block aGPS to 3rd party apps, but then Palm improved the location services so that a lock works much more consistently when outside with clear skies (one could also say Verizon stopped whatever monkey business they did in previous OS versions). This makes GPS more reliable and consistent, but certainly far from what we would like to see.

The days of 50 different scenarios playing out are gone. In 2.0, the fixes are known and either work or do not work. All that depends on your location, the skies, and an occasional solar flare.
    - James Harris

Author of:

I have had a Palm Pre Plus on Verizon since it was launched. In early February I added a 2nd line (an Iphone for my wife). Since then, GPS stopped working, as did all location-based services such as Foursquare and Facebook places.

MANY phone calls to Verizon resulted in a new Palm Pre Plus with the EXACT same issue...a free trial of VZNavigator which fixed it, but once I canceled it all GPS stopped working again. Finally, yesterday, they sent me a Palm Pre 2 because "the Palm Pre 2 doesn't have these same issues".

Well guess what? IT SURE AS HELL DOES! No GPS, no Facebook places, no Foursquare checking, and worst of all, no VZNavigator workaround!

Can anyone help? I tried to get GPS Fix, but it is not available for WebOS 2.0...Sigh.
    GPS Fix works fine for 2.0, even optimized for it.
    - James Harris

Author of:

"...They also admit that the loopholes I exploit with GPS Fix (and the patch) in 1.4.5 are a bug that they will close. They closed that in webOS 2.0."

Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    GPS Fix works fine for 2.0, even optimized for it.
    Confused. These two statements seem to contradict each other. Would it help to install GPS Fix if running 2.0.1 on a Pre 2, or not?