Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Went to the verizon store today and my dad bought a droid... My heart honestly sank a little bit. I gave him my best why webos is the bomb speech and he loved it but his only complaint was he wanted the droid 2 with the bigger keyboard. MEANWHILE I played with the Pre 2 and popped open google maps which loaded so much fas=ter than my overclocked pre plus and the gps also got a lock on my location way quicker. Overall Pre2 = Sweet
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Will be flying to NYC tomorrow, so I'll have a weekend of testing in urban canyons -- I'm hoping for the better, I don't want to get lost!
  3.    #203  
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    Will be flying to NYC tomorrow, so I'll have a weekend of testing in urban canyons -- I'm hoping for the better, I don't want to get lost!
    Definitely keep us posted on that.
    Heh, I got a lock when I was in New York for Dev Day with my Plus.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    So my results from NYC have been....pretty bad.... GPS almost always fails to get a decent lock, if it gets one at all. You can forget having it track you too, I've been going back and forth from Brooklyn & Manhattan and whether I was standing still or moving with my feet or public transit.. It was basically a massive failure. The only time it seems to get an okay lock is when it finds a wifi hotspot it knows, sometimes if I open VZ Nav (I have a subscription) it will find me, but it doesn't always track me.

I'll be in L.A. again tomorrow so I'm curious to see if I'm able to get a good lock again since there are few high rises.

Long story short: It's still crippled, and i want to severely strangle whoever at HP/Palm doesn't have the cojenes to put a stop to this insanity. Is it too much to ask to not want to be lost? I mean seriously...
    Last edited by ieko; 03/06/2011 at 11:39 PM.
  6.    #206  
    So my results from NYC have been....pretty bad.... GPS almost always fails to get a decent lock, if it gets one at all. You can forget having it track you too, I've been going back and forth from Brooklyn & Manhattan and whether I was standing still or moving with my feet or public transit.. It was basically a massive failure. The only time it seems to get an okay lock is when it finds a wifi hotspot it knows, sometimes if I open VZ Nav (I have a subscription) it will find me, but it doesn't always track me.

I'll be in L.A. again tomorrow so I'm curious to see if I'm able to get a good lock again since there are few high rises.

Long story short: It's still crippled, and i want to severely strangle whoever at HP/Palm doesn't have the cojenes to put a stop to this insanity. Is it too much to ask to not want to be lost? I mean seriously...
    Thanks for that update. I was afraid that's what the results would be. I really don't know if this is a VZW issue or a HP/Palm issue. The GPS on the Pre 2 definitely works MUCH better than on the VZW Pre Plus (b/c that one didn't work at all). What could Verizon be doing to make it work better, but not very good? I can understand them totally crippling it, to make it 0% functional, but how could they make it 70% functional? Mine does work if I'm driving. I used it while driving a couple hundred miles up the interstate on Friday night and it tracked me the entire way going 75 mph. If I'm walking though, that's where it tends to be problematic. It seems to need really good movement to get a lock, which doesn't make much sense. I'd think it'd be able to lock in quicker on something stationary. In any event, I'm inclined to think this is a design/QC issue with HP/Palm. Does anyone know what kind of GPS components the Pre 2 uses? Is it the same as any other device out there?
    Stop blaming HP/Palm when the Verizon dictator/overlords are to blame.
    My Pre 2 works flawlessly with VZ Navigator here in the DC area.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Stop blaming HP/Palm when the Verizon dictator/overlords are to blame.
    I realize VZ is the one who is probably enforcing the crippling, which is why I'm annoyed at HP/Palm, they have the resources now to make this nonsense stop if it isn't a hardware design issue (Pre 2 was a pre-HP product), i.e. Give VZ some cash money.

My experience in L.A. has been much better than NYC, definitely better than the Pre+ but I should be having this much trouble getting a decent lock without line of sight. I remember the original Pre being seriously outstanding.

Anyone know where the GPS chip is located on the Pre (i.e. Com board)? Perhaps a frankenPre can be made with a Pre and a Pre 2 to see GPS performance.
    My Pre 2 on Verizon works great. The first week I would have to ##477# and get a fix that way, but now I get a lock almost every time, usually within a minute. Google Maps, Navit, Map Tool, Smart Runner, Facebook, they all work great. GPS is now on par with my TomTom.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    No gps for me no matter what I do I cannot get a fix. This sucks

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    "Originality.....There's NO app for that!" -Th3H0ff
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3H0ff View Post
    No gps for me no matter what I do I cannot get a fix. This sucks

Do me a favor. Download the GPS Fix app.

Step outside and open up Google Maps and GPS Fix. Make sure GPS Fix is focused, then hit T on your keyboard. Then hit A. Then hit B.

Swap back to Google Maps. GPS Fix will throw up errors, but after abt 30 seconds you should see Google Maps lock on.

Let me know if this works.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post

Step outside and open up Google Maps and GPS Fix. Make sure GPS Fix is focused, then hit T on your keyboard. Then hit A. Then hit B.

Swap back to Google Maps. GPS Fix will throw up errors, but after abt 30 seconds you should see Google Maps lock on.

*** mate.... I did this and presto my gps lock was instant! I am also now able to run maps even after disabling the gps fix app! I'm impressed seriously.

"Originality.....There's NO app for that!" -Th3H0ff
    Thereby proving the need for GPS Fix to exist in some capacity. You had a sleeping GPS chip. It'll probably slumber again in a few days.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post

well that seemed to fix my issue. and this operationally was my biggest complaint. hopefully 2.1 fixes this for good. cuz its asinine that one of the features of our phone doesnt work for ****. and ty for developing apps for webos.
    New Verizon Pre 2 owner and GPS does not work for me without running VZ Navigator first; I am a subscriber. So sad!
  17.    #217  
    Mine is still running pretty solid with only GPS enabled. No Google services, VZ Nav or GPS Fix app. Not perfect for sure but a significant, significant improvement over the Pre Plus. I've pretty much decided this is a Palm issue with either software or just poor quality GPS components. The inconsistency among the user base is what you would expect under these circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93 View Post
    New Verizon Pre 2 owner and GPS does not work for me without running VZ Navigator first; I am a subscriber. So sad!
    Did you try the suggestion I mentioned just a few posts up from yours? (http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...29#post2905553)

Try that. If it fails, then P.M. me as you are someone I want to talk to.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Spdsktr, how do you get GPS Fix for VZ Navigator? It says that it is not available for WebOS 2.0.1 in Preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93 View Post
    Spdsktr, how do you get GPS Fix for VZ Navigator? It says that it is not available for WebOS 2.0.1 in Preware.
    The patch? You don't. It's not needed for webOS 2.0+. The app is in the regular catalog.
    - James Harris

Author of: