Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    So over the last few days here I've been putting GPS through its paces while I've been running around on buses and while driving.

Results:
    Outdoors: works within 10 seconds most of the time.
    Indoors: it can take a minute or not work at all. If you go outside after the "can't find your location" error, you may need to restart to get a signal. Might be able to jump-start it by opening VZ Navigator, but I haven't tried.
    I went fishing today. Since nothing was biting I pulled my Pre 2 out and withing 15 seconds it found me.

ET
    When outside with google services off, works very well for me. No need for any "fixes". Big improvement over the Pre Plus.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vaxick View Post
    Just for fun, here's a image showing my GPS alive and tracking my location. Well, it isn't at a full lock yet, but I just wanted to take a screen shot just to show that the GPS is indeed working.

holy smolockedockey. im usually at least for or five blocks off with my pre+. ive had negligible results from gps fix app adn patch. wow. cant wait to see what my p2 does tomorrow.
  5.    #185  
    The main glitch so far for me is that it simply doesn't work indoors...period. I've tried it at work, at my apt and in restaurants. So far, I haven't even had it find my location at all indoors. This isn't a big problem as 90% of the time when I need GPS it's when I'm outside, but still a minor inconvenience.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    The main glitch so far for me is that it simply doesn't work indoors...period.
    If you are indoors, don't you know where you are?

ET
  7.    #187  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    If you are indoors, don't you know where you are?

ET
    One would think.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    You may have an idea, but say you wanted transit directions. You'd need the proper cross streets, but what if you don't know them because this place is new or very large. Happens to me a lot - plus, I don't want to type in my current location, it should know!
    The main glitch so far for me is that it simply doesn't work indoors...period. I've tried it at work, at my apt and in restaurants. So far, I haven't even had it find my location at all indoors. This isn't a big problem as 90% of the time when I need GPS it's when I'm outside, but still a minor inconvenience.
    I always had this issue on the Sprint Pre but never any other device. I just chalked it up to a weak GPS chip.
    just got my pre 2 today. gps works perfectly on the road and inside my office
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I had a lot of trouble yesterday getting my location in the bus and at a restaurant -- so *shrug*

opening VZ Nav did help out sometimes though.
  12.    #192  
    Mine's still solid around town...no luck indoors, even if I launch VZ Nav. Just doesn't seem to work indoors. I zoom way in while driving and it seems pretty close...even moves with me changing lanes. Overall, given that the Pre Plus GPS was essentially non-functional, this blows it away. Still a LONG way to go to catch up to Android navigation, but it's a huge leap in the right direction.
    I wouldnt expect it to work indoors where it can't see the satallites.
  14.    #194  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I wouldnt expect it to work indoors where it can't see the satallites.
    Yeah, it's not really an issue. I used to be able to make it work on my Pre Plus by starting VZ Nav, so it's just odd that it won't work AT ALL inside.
    GPS works like a charm for me (way better then my Samsung Captivate) been using it since Saturday when I got my unlocked Pre 2.
  16.    #196  
    Mine does seem to need a clear view of the sky. I was using it while walking to work this morning, which is mostly through neighborhoods, but I work at a hospital so there are several large buildings right where I work. Google maps had me pinpointed the whole way until I got to the first 2 large building that I walk between. About 10 seconds after walking between them, the blue location dot started drifting off to the left, across the street, and over the buildings across the street. Once I got out into the clear, it gradually made its way back to me. I can see where this might be a problem for some who live in larger cities. I don't so it's not a huge deal. Maybe HP/Palm is using cheap-ish GPS chips or something?

In my opinion, the GPS is one of the biggest gaps between WebOS and iOS/Android...and it's a pretty large gap. My friend was using his Droid X navigation while we were driving around the other day and it has the Google street view on it. He was navigating to a particular store and as we pulled into the parking lot and got a space right in front of the store and facing the store, I looked down at his phone and what I was seeing in person is exactly what was showing on the phone. Pretty cool. This is still huge leap forward from the Pre Plus, so hopefully by the Pre 3, they'll take an equally large step forward.
    In my opinion, the GPS is one of the biggest gaps between WebOS and iOS/Android...and it's a pretty large gap. My friend was using his Droid X
    It depends on the android phone tho. The Samsung galaxy S line all suck with gps. My Fascinate use to take 5 minutes to get an inaccurate gps lock.

The pre 2 gps has been perfect for me. Google maps has been faster to load on the pre 2 than almost any other phone ive tried
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by S.hasan546 View Post

The pre 2 gps has been perfect for me. Google maps has been faster to load on the pre 2 than almost any other phone ive tried
    I agree, my gps actually works compared to my old Pre +. I am a happy customer with my pre 2.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Mine does seem to need a clear view of the sky.
    I agree -- when I'm in a bus I need to be right next to the window for it to lock on, if I'm in the office it won't work. If I'm outside with no obstructions then everything is fine, locks on within seconds.

So here's my crazy theory, Verizon is still blocking aGPS or HP hasn't gotten around to support the API, and so the stronger GPS makes up for that when you've got line of sight. I remember when I was at the Think Beyond event I was pressing to find out if GPS had been fixed on the VZ Pre 2, eventually I got a response of "well, the Pre 2 does have a better GPS chip." At the time that really didn't mean a whole lot to me but now it might make some sense.
  20.    #200  
    Here's the list of glitches I've encountered so far:

1. Does not work inside. Period.
    2. Does not work well around tall buildings.
    3. If I try to access GPS in an area where it can't find my location (i.e., inside), when I try to launch it later, it always takes significantly longer to find me.
    4. When it has my location, it's very accurate as long I'm moving. If I'm stationary, the blue location dot begins to drift. Not sure why this is, but it's pretty consistent...if I start moving, the dot moves back to my location.

So far, those are the only negatives I'm experiencing. Perhaps these are fixable with an update, but I'm not getting my hopes up. If I would rate the VZW Pre Plus as a 0% then I'd say the VZW Pre 2 is a 70%. Definitely good enough to hold me over til my upgrade in Dec.