Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    ...lots of questions (well, not "lots" but several...is that the same?).

I'm a BlackBerry user, have been for years and would recommend it to anyone without reservation.

WebOS has really intrigued me and the past two weeks my berry has been acting all sorts of weirdness in ways I won't get into here, and I'm not one of those "platform" thumpers and bashers...yada yada....

I'm not really worried about any issues I may encounter migrating to webOS, aside from natural learning curve stuff, but I have some questions and would like some direction from you guys about specifics, if available:

1. Any known issues I can be ready for with regards to hosted exchange services and ActiveSync? Performance is real time, or will I need to set a polling interval on the device?

2. For other email services (Yahoo!, Gmail, et al) it is a polling setting correct?

3. There is a native BB app called "Password Keeper", is there such a native app on webOS or is there a recommendation you can make from the app catalog?

4. I've read here-and-there about intermittent GPS issues, I use VZ Navigator a lot - anyone with Pre Plus rants or raves on the performance of that application?

5. I understand there is no "official" Twitter client, and there are multiple options out there, best recommendations?

6. Aside from screen brightness, any battery/power management recommendations as I'm certain that this will be one of the most noticeable differences (battery life) I'll encounter.

I'm picking this up off-contract, so if it doesn't work out for me I can unload it if I want, but if I like it, I'll use my upgrade for the Pre 3. O, thank you...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawain View Post
    4. I've read here-and-there about intermittent GPS issues, I use VZ Navigator a lot - anyone with Pre Plus rants or raves on the performance of that application?
    I use VZNav on my Pre+ regularly. It is a pain to have to pay the extra $10 a month, but I use it so much that it ends up being worth it. Never really had any GPS trouble. The app has locked up a handful of times over the last year and required a phone restart. VZNav will drain your battery, so if you are planning to use it much you should pick up an extra touchstone and find a way to mount it in your car so you can charge while using the phone.

There are some posts on here about a touchstone/car charger bundle deal on Verizon's website for about $15. There is also a thread with some creative ways to mount the touchstone in the car.
    welcome!! I'm on my Pre 2 so can't fully answer everything but Exchange works great! It's real time for mail, contacts and calendar. Depending on your setup you might need some extra steps (I had to dload our security cert for example).

I use gmail on IMAP and have all contacts, calendar and mail set to push.

I've read that there are some password managers on the app store.

I don't watch battery as I have a touchstone on my desk so it's always charging,but if I know I'll be without I bring a spare battery or change mail settings, turn off gps etc.

good luck!
    I've got a modded Sprint Pre- but ill make some comments.

2. Gmail and Yahoo are push email and you can set them to get email "As items arrive." Your phone gets the email near instantly. Hotmail is different and doesn't support this push email in normal form. You can bypass that by setting up the account differently (as shown in a thread around here somewhere) but you can't view HTML emails this way. I set my Hotmail to sync every 30 min (5 min is the smallest interval).

3. There is no native password keeper, but there are several password apps available in the app catalog. Some are free.

5. I like Spaz. It's in the App Catalog and ALWAYS free.

6. Keep your GPS off unless you need it on.

One thing webOS is about is patches....there is a PATCH for that. Patching will change your whole experience and customize your UI. Enjoy that and welcome to webOS!

Exchange works great. Only issue is that it only syncs your "Inbox" folder unless you manually go in an sync others. So if you have your mail set to automatically go into other folders you will have to check them periodically. Set all mail services to "As Items Arrive" for the best battery life (As long as they are exchange or IMAP).

Password apps in the App Catalog.

GPS will not use any power when you aren't using it so I will disagree with the user above who recommended turning it off. I don't think anyone knows if the Verizon GPS crippling issues are still there in the Pre2.

Carbon(Beta) and Bad Kitty are my favorite twitter clients. Carbon is amazing and can be found here "http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.dotsandlines.carbonbeta"

For battery I'd say make sure you don't have too many applications polling for data too often. Notifications are nice but I use less battery if I have them sent to an email account with push instead of having the app handle the notification.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oversteer325 View Post
    Exchange works great. Only issue is that it only syncs your "Inbox" folder unless you manually go in an sync others. So if you have your mail set to automatically go into other folders you will have to check them periodically. Set all mail services to "As Items Arrive" for the best battery life (As long as they are exchange or IMAP).

Password apps in the App Catalog.

GPS will not use any power when you aren't using it so I will disagree with the user above who recommended turning it off. I don't think anyone knows if the Verizon GPS crippling issues are still there in the Pre2.

Carbon(Beta) and Bad Kitty are my favorite twitter clients. Carbon is amazing and can be found here "http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.dotsandlines.carbonbeta"

For battery I'd say make sure you don't have too many applications polling for data too often. Notifications are nice but I use less battery if I have them sent to an email account with push instead of having the app handle the notification.

About the GPS comment, I'm going off of several user's experience, articles from THIS website, and perceived personal experience.

There is more here including users suggesting to turn off Bluetooth and GPS in the comments.
    How-to: Tips for improving battery life | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

This application will help you track your battery use. Of course using this app drains the battery more than normal.
    BatteryMonitor | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
    Quote Originally Posted by puffdaddy411 View Post
    One thing webOS is about is patches....there is a PATCH for that. Patching will change your whole experience and customize your UI. Enjoy that and welcome to webOS!
    Except for the launcher :P
    Just a comment on a couple of your questions.

I use jVault for password management and like it a lot. It's in the app catalog.

I am also trying Carbon for Twitter client. It is in beta still but very promising.

I agree about the polling settings to save battery. Wifi access also saves my battery. Depending on your location, there is a patch to force roaming if your carrier signal is weak.
    ...lots of questions (well, not "lots" but several...is that the same?).
    Reset peeps here already covered well so going to:

Question on GPS: As long as you are using VZ navigator your GPS will be fine but I can really say that for any VZW phone. VZW has a habbit of reserving the GPS for only their paid service. Any intermitten GPS you get is the result of not using VZNav.

No Official Twitter client: No a negative but a gain, yea let the best twitter app win. Currently Carbon is the big talk but it's beta, loving it myself. There is Spaz, Twee2, Tweed, BadKitty (Prolly going to be the official app soon since dev works for HP now). And some of these will let you tweet right off the just type field too.

Battery life: Unless you are getting crappy coverage, I wouldn't worry much with this since you have a BB with exception of not leaving a TON of apps open on the Pre2
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    2. For other email services (Yahoo!, Gmail, et al) it is a polling setting correct?

2) There is a poll setting but if you are using Imap then the "as they arrive" is a good setting. If you want you can slow to every x minutes but understand that if your volume of email is lower than that per day you are increasing not decreasing consumption.

4) I use VZ Navigator and loved it until recently when it went stoopid on me. I have no explanation for this failure I was completely within signal. During this time google maps would show my position with a great deal of fluctuation and crazy inaccuracy. I could chalk it up to Gps reception I guess but it was weirder - the whole thing didn't clear up until I rebooted the phone and by that time I was no longer in the area.

It's important to note that I used the GPS to get to a place successfully - it was trying to return the same route that failed. There was less than 1.5 hours of elapsed time between the start and the finsih of the trip which was about 30 mins each way.
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    You guys rock! Thanks for all the input.
    This is in the Pre2 forum - did you mean Pre Plus or Pre2? They are not the same and both are an option on Verizon now.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    and most importantly dont forget to setup preware on your phone!!! they have new 2.0 patches that should really let you customize your phone more. dont be scared of installing it its really simple and it works~!! these guys are really awesome!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!