Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm in Australia for a week or so and was hoping to be able to use google maps and gowalla on my pre 2. I've had an Optus sim (forgot it would only be gprs) and now have a Telstra (3g). Everything is fine with the phone (talk, sms, web) but I can't get GPS to work at all. I've tried enabling/disabling, rebooting, using advanced system menus from via preware, and everything else I've seen mentioned in this forum. Hoping somebody might have another approach other than throwing my phone against a brick wall. Thanks in advance!
    its a known issue, gps doesnt work in Australia. Rod was looking into it.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Huh? I'm on a Pre 2 on Crazy Johns (Vodafone) Australia, and GPS with google maps works fine.
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    Huh? I'm on a Pre 2 on Crazy Johns (Vodafone) Australia, and GPS with google maps works fine.
    Ditto. (Hutchison 3 - though I don't think provider would be a factor). I have had the Latitude + 360 problem occasionally with some software, but Google Maps seems to work consistently. I would suggest that you run one of the several GPS utility programs to get more of an idea of what is going on.
  5.    #5  
    Not sure if I have time to do any elaborate debugging or hacking while I'm here. Fortunately the buddy I'm with has an iPhone that 'just works'

Couldn't figure out how to launch the 'default gps application' referenced in other places. ##GPS# didn't seem to do much with just type. I did grab Mapping Tool so I could see exactly where the GPS has me. I'm sitting in downtown Sydney currently and it's definitely throwing nonsense...

Lat: 395 degrees, 37 minutes, and 52.86 seconds
    Lng: 151 degrees, 12 minutes, and 31.30 seconds

I'll try to grab a vodafone sim a try tomorrow...
    I have exactly the same problem, Pre 2 on Telstra and no GPS signal no matter what. But seeing that I hardly ever need to use it, it's not a big issue, but it would be nice to get it to work.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    ## is on CDMA phones.
    Try pressing #*GPS# in the dialer, and don't forget to press the dial button.
    Thanks, that worked! Same reading as before though. Very weird!
    Quote Originally Posted by pnitsuj View Post
    Not sure if I have time to do any elaborate debugging or hacking while I'm here. Fortunately the buddy I'm with has an iPhone that 'just works'

Couldn't figure out how to launch the 'default gps application' referenced in other places. ##GPS# didn't seem to do much with just type. I did grab Mapping Tool so I could see exactly where the GPS has me. I'm sitting in downtown Sydney currently and it's definitely throwing nonsense...

Lat: 395 degrees, 37 minutes, and 52.86 seconds
    Lng: 151 degrees, 12 minutes, and 31.30 seconds

I'll try to grab a vodafone sim a try tomorrow...
    The longitude is about right. The latitude does exhibit the 360+Latitude problem, but it is out by about a further 2 degrees. (should be about 33d 51m).

Have you tried running Google maps after running Mapping Tool? And you are outside with a clear view of the sky, aren't you?

EDIT: Okay! I just went outside and ran the program My GPS and got 394 instead of 34 as my latitude, but never-the-less Google maps correctly displayed my position on the map.
    Last edited by johncc; 02/16/2011 at 05:58 AM.
  9.    #9  
    I appears that maybe I wasn't being patient enough. If I launch Google maps it will latch onto my "location" but the map is probably trying to show me at 395 so it's just a blue dot on an empty screen. I was quitting after 30 seconds or so previously but if I wait for a minute or two with Google maps open it will eventually figure out my real loc and I'll get the map. After this process then Gowalla and other apps will work. Not ideal but this will work for the remainder of my time down here. Thanks again everyone!
    Glad that you're up and running. It certainly is time that the 'bug' was fixed. Especially since it's so obvious. Rod raised it October 2009. Then again, they aren't interested in selling in the southern hemisphere, so it doesn't matter.
    Just flown up from Sydney to Brisbane. On casual inspection it appears that the latitude given by the Pre with Google Services enabled is approximately 429.496° north of the real figure.

A couple of examples:
    Central Station, Sydney NSW
    Reported: +395.61337
    Actual (from GPS): -33.88282
    Variance: -429.49619

Brisbane Domestic Airport Station, Eagle Farm QLD
    Reported: 402.11141
    Actual: -27.38513
    Variance: -429.49654

I'm going to be doing some more interstate travel over the next week or so, and I'll collect some more figures from other locations in the process, but it looks like we have our ballpark figure.
    actually, I got it to work...once, but since then it has refused to work, so it is possible on telstra.
    Hi guys,

I have a fix for the 360 degree problem in AUS.

Unfortunately I cannot distribute it because I had to modify palms code.

Please PM me and ill give you details

Greg
    I'd say anyone calling it a 360 degree problem isn't taking hemisphere in to account, but a bit more travel will verify that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    actually, I got it to work...once, but since then it has refused to work, so it is possible on telstra.
    I'm on Voda, but my gps doesn't seem to work at all?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by greg_roll View Post
    Hi guys,

Greg
    PM sent.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    I'm on Voda, but my gps doesn't seem to work at all?
    I have upgraded to 2.1 and hadn't tried GPS since. I went outside and tried Google Maps without success. Downloaded GPS Toggle and used that to turn GPS on. Google maps subsequently located me quite rapidly. Also downloaded MyGPS and that is showing a correct lattitude.
    Last edited by johncc; 03/08/2011 at 03:30 AM.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greg_roll View Post
    Hi guys,

Greg
    PM-ed, I live in southern hemisphere too..
    Can't believe this is still a problem!
    Siobhán

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
    Bring on open-source. Then we can finally fix it ourselves.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast