1.    #1  
    Need some help.

Up until January 31 2011 i had gmail set up on my Pre 2 without problems. after that date when i refreshed the inbox no new emails came through. I could not sent from the gmail account either. the comcast account worked normally.

I removed the gmail account and re-added it. When i do this using the add gmail option i get to the screen that says "use account with" and make my selections and hit 'create'. after this the small disc rotates and rotates and the account never creates. I can leave the phone for an hour and screen is grayed out and the create bar with the disc will keep rotating. If i push the card off the screen and go into mail the gmail account is there with no folders. when i go into the account,manual setting and hit validate settings i get the error

Could not sign into account
    The mail server responded:
    Wizard:Unable to determine settings.

I if manually configure a new mail account with gmail settings or change from pop to imap settings i get the same errors.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thank You
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Venomity View Post
    Need some help.

Up until January 31 2011 i had gmail set up on my Pre 2 without problems. after that date when i refreshed the inbox no new emails came through. I could not sent from the gmail account either. the comcast account worked normally.

I removed the gmail account and re-added it. When i do this using the add gmail option i get to the screen that says "use account with" and make my selections and hit 'create'. after this the small disc rotates and rotates and the account never creates. I can leave the phone for an hour and screen is grayed out and the create bar with the disc will keep rotating. If i push the card off the screen and go into mail the gmail account is there with no folders. when i go into the account,manual setting and hit validate settings i get the error

Could not sign into account
    The mail server responded:
    Wizard:Unable to determine settings.

I if manually configure a new mail account with gmail settings or change from pop to imap settings i get the same errors.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thank You
    I have exactly the same problem. Adding my gmail account hangs when I click Create

I got around the bug by accessing the account using MAP settings.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Just encountered the same problem - I changed my GMail password, and then could no longer update my Inbox. Tried deleting the account and recreating, and I also get the never-ending 'refresh wheel' when I press "Create." Tried adding as IMAP, and nothing, tried POP and got connected, but nothing shows up in my Inbox.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    I have my Gmail account setup as Exchange EAS. Go into your Email prefs and kill the non-functioning Gmail account. Select Add new account the hit the Email app menu and select manual set up. Select Exchange EAS.

Enter your full Gmail email address.
    For incoming Mail server add https://m.google.com
    Leave Domain Blank
    Enter your FULL email address as your username.
    Enter your password.
    Sign in.

Your Gmail account will have an outlook logo symbolizing Exchange. It will sync contacts/email/calendar.

This trick will work with Corporate/Academic Google Apps accounts too and will enable GAL search from Just Type/To fields in the Email app.

Hope this helps!!
    Update:

Figuring that maybe my Pre2 just had a bad case of heartburn from the previous accounts, I powered it off completely, restarted it, and re-added the Google account the normal way - synced right up!
    I have been able to set up gmail as my email account on my new Pre 2, but I'm having the problem described above when I try to set up my google calendar. I tap add account, then google, enter email address and password, tap sign in and then it spins. After a minute or so I see the yellow triangle with the exclamation point and a message in red: Unknown error. I've been trying for more than a day to add this.
    Quote Originally Posted by LNWJ View Post
    I have my Gmail account setup as Exchange EAS. Go into your Email prefs and kill the non-functioning Gmail account. Select Add new account the hit the Email app menu and select manual set up. Select Exchange EAS.

Enter your full Gmail email address.
    For incoming Mail server add https://m.google.com
    Leave Domain Blank
    Enter your FULL email address as your username.
    Enter your password.
    Sign in.

Your Gmail account will have an outlook logo symbolizing Exchange. It will sync contacts/email/calendar.

This trick will work with Corporate/Academic Google Apps accounts too and will enable GAL search from Just Type/To fields in the Email app.

Hope this helps!!
    Unfortunately, that didn't work. and I also tried the "application specific password creation" from within gmail... I'm really screwed because my google contacts and calendar are the main thing I use my Pre3 for... argh.
    What's going on with your gmail?
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    What's going on with your gmail?
    Same issue as discussed above. After posting above, I turned off two-part verification in gmail, and about 30 minutes later I was able to add the problematic gmail account back to my phone. I'm not sure if there was a problem on Google's side, or if the 2-part verification was the issue. I'm just happy it is working again! I continue to resist the iphone that my company wants everyone to use, and gmail calendar/contact support is my last line of defense!
    Not sure if you saw the other threads, I posted in 2 in the last 24/48 hours.... gmail has had some random issue, might not have been the same, but seems super random as it didn't knock out both of my accounts.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Not sure if you saw the other threads, I posted in 2 in the last 24/48 hours....
    Do you mind linking those threads? I've been getting notifications from my google accounts to check my username and password. Nothing worked. I removed all my accounts (like an *****). Now with whatever account I try, I get 'Unknown error'.

I tried the solution written above, but the fields needed to be filled are different than stated above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Unger View Post
    Do you mind linking those threads? I've been getting notifications from my google accounts to check my username and password. Nothing worked. I removed all my accounts (like an *****). Now with whatever account I try, I get 'Unknown error'.

I tried the solution written above, but the fields needed to be filled are different than stated above.
    I have the same problem. Does anyone know if Google cut support for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Wahrman View Post
    I have the same problem. Does anyone know if Google cut support for this?
    You need the gmail sync patch: [Patch] Google sync https fix (unknown error on sign in)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums