Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have had a pre for a few months now and am in love with the OS. I have an iphone, an evo and blackberry all before and nothing compares to WebOS for me. I really want to get the pre2, I know I should wait a few months for the Palm 3 but I am an impatient guy who likes to have the best of what is offered. Is the Pre3 worth the upgrade from a Pre minus, and if so which carrier should I get it for. Who has the best rate plans when factoring in unlimited text and data.
    Sent from my Verizon Pre2
    Are you likely to get a TouchPad OR any future device that will use Touch-to-Share? Then wait.
    While I could be wrong, I understand that the Pre2 and Veer will not be able to Touch-to-Share.

If you don't care about that feature, go for it.
    Global Posts
    2,501 Global Posts
    Maybe you can sell one of you devices and pay full retail for the pre2? compared with most smartphones out there, i think $430 it's not that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgore View Post
    Maybe you can sell one of you devices and pay full retail for the pre2? compared with most smartphones out there, i think $430 it's not that much.
    +1 while the Pre 2 is a great phone, I personally would not want to be tied to a carrier or contract when the Pre 3 hits.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    The Pre 3 is worth the wait over the Pre 2. Although the 2 is much better than the original, the 3 looks to blow all of them out of the water.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    2,501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    The Pre 3 is worth the wait over the Pre 2. Although the 2 is much better than the original, the 3 looks to blow all of them out of the water.
    I agree with you, that's why i will be saving my upgrade for when the 3 comes out. For now, i'll pay full retail for the 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgore View Post
    I agree with you, that's why i will be saving my upgrade for when the 3 comes out. For now, i'll pay full retail for the 2.
    It's a good compromise, as it will still be a great phone when the 3 comes out and you could sell it to any AT&T subscriber who wants a great phone upgrade but no strings attached in a contract. You will be able to get a good portion of your money back.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    I have a Pre+ on ATT and plan to wait for the Pre3. If my Pre+ has an untimely death I would consider the Pre2. Although it would have to run Ubercalendar.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I picked up a Pixi Plus recently with all those deals because I wanted to try out WebOS after only hearing good things. I'm really glad I did because I love it. I'm gonna pick up the Pre 2 when it drops on Verizon because my upgrade hit at the beginning of January and I think I read somewhere that the New Every 2 will only stay in effect for 6 months. I don't want to lose the credit waiting on the Pre 3.
    any chance you could post a source for your info. (the 6 month thing)?
    Answers to FAQs

"New lines of service will no longer be enrolled in the New Every Two program. If you are currently enrolled, you may redeem your New Every Two benefit one more time for up to six months after fulfilling 20 months of your two-year term."

I interpreted that part as the New Every Two having an expiration date if you don't use it in time.
    thx for the info
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    I have 3 family members on my phone plan. I pay for their phones, their minutes. I get upgrades in theory up to 4 times / 2 year period. They get hand-me-downs if they want them.
    Interesting article about why the Pre 2 is a nice option:

Why the pre 2 is Still Relevant | neathings
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Here's the way I see it: I love WebOS, but was seriously contemplating switching to a Droid because of many reasons. I think the Pre Plus that I have is a great device, at least conceptually but with horrible execution. I believe the Pre 2 (hopefully) is a properly executed WebOS device. I know I would never be completely satisfied with an Android, so I'm pretty confident that I will probably get a Pre 2 after I see some reviews.

To justify the price and upcoming Pre 3: My NE2 is available this October. So if I get the Pre 2 without a contract at $410, less the cost of the free Mobile Hotspot (which I would have purchased anyways) for $160 (8 months * $20), less $100 (hopefully) for the NE2 I will get in October, I will have effectively paid only $150 for the Pre 2 which is the same price for one with a 2 year contract. Then in October, I will get whatever new Pre is out for a 2-year subsidized price.

I'm sure I did some funny math there, but it works for me.
    2G iPhone -> BB 8530 -> Pre Plus
  16.    #16  
    Lol, the way I see it is that you want a pre2. I say get it, you only live once as they would say.
    My pre 2 is listed as shipped and expected delivery by 3pm tomorrow
    Sent from my Verizon Pre2
    It's like asking "Do you want Sloppy Joe today or Steak tomorrow?" unless you're a vegetarian but they don't count
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Interesting article about why the Pre 2 is a nice option:

Why the pre 2 is Still Relevant | neathings
    Problem with that article is that only Pre 3 will have touch to share. Moreover, when Rubenstein was asked by Engadget whether the Pre2 would receive future updates such as webOS 3.0, he seemed a little non-committal (see below), suggesting to me that it would be smart to view the Pre2 as one year device and plan phone budget accordingly.

question: since we know it doesn't get touch to share, does that answer our question abt whether it will get webos updates since touch to share is a software feature, yes, to enable bluetooth profile sharing? So this would imply it is not getting the software updates unless they make 2 versions of each update.

"Engadget: What about the Pre 3?

Jon: We'll issue an OTA update at some point so it'll get 3.0.

Engadget: What about the older devices?

Jon: Not the older devices. We wanted to add lots of cool new capabilities, and frankly the older products aren't powerful enough.

Engadget: Pre 2?

Jon: Pre 2 is okay."
    The Engadget Interview: Jon Rubinstein and Steven McArthur talk webOS on PCs, 'Music Synergy,' competition, and more -- Engadget
    Last edited by bluenote; 02/17/2011 at 02:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVisibleShadow View Post
    Are you likely to get a TouchPad OR any future device that will use Touch-to-Share? Then wait.
    While I could be wrong, I understand that the Pre2 and Veer will not be able to Touch-to-Share.

If you don't care about that feature, go for it.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Veer$ $will$ $but$ $Pre$ $2$ $will$ $not$ $do$ $Touch$-$2$-$share$. $Veer$ $will$ $do$ $it$ $once$ $touchpad$ $is$ $available$ $since$ $Veer$ $is$ $expected$ $to$ $be$ $out$ $in$ $March$.

This link also states it however, I think this was also mentioned during the keynote on Feb 9.

HP Touchstone Touch-to-share lets devices swap URLs, 'Exhibition' mode added for phones -- Engadget
    I'm going to wait a few months and buy it on ebay for $200, thus keeping my upgrade for the 3. Honestly, the 3 might feel huge compared to the 2 and I really like the smaller pocketable phones.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast