1.    #1  
    Hello everyone; been lurking for a while, but I finally have occasion to post.

A little back story: I've owned PDAs and smartphones for a good long time now; my first PDA was a Casio E-125 and my first smartphone was a Treo 600. I owned a Blackberry 8830 on Verizon before switching to AT&T for the iPhone 3GS, which I then followed with an iPhone 4. In November, however, I sold the iPhone 4 to switch back to Verizon with a free Droid Incredible.

Fast forward to today, and I've nearly reached the end of my patience with the Incredible. Android is an incredibly kludgy OS, especially compared to what I was used to with iOS. On the stock ROM, I have text messages going to the wrong people; other ROMs have had other issues ranging from excessive battery drain to spontaneous reboots to random app crashes. I enjoy tweaking to an extent, but I can't afford to have a phone that gets in my way as much as my Incredible does. From what I've read, none of the other choices for Android (outside of maybe the Nexus S, but that's on T-Mobile) are any better.

Now, I'm no huge fan of iOS either; I'm not inclined to get a Verizon iPhone, as I really do love being able to install software beyond that which Big Brother approves for me. Additionally, I have done some minor development work as a hobby and would like to start working on smartphone apps, but I can't develop for iOS because I don't have a Mac.

I've been watching videos of the Pre 2 and I've played briefly with the webOS emulator and I really think I'd like webOS. It seems a lot smoother than Android could ever hope to be; in that regard, it reminds me of my old iPhone. The way webOS handles multitasking looks fantastic and the overall look is appealing to me. The low resolution screen honestly doesn't bother me too much; I don't do much in the way of heavy web browsing on my phones. The things I use most are whatever application I use to read my Google Reader feeds, Twitter/Facebook, my calendar, and text messaging.

Unfortunately, I'd have to pay the full $440 for it, but I can probably sell the Droid Incredible that I got free on contract for around $250-$300. I'm okay with that, but I have a few questions:

1) I'm interested in running a SNES emulator; does the one for webOS 1.x work on the Pre 2? I haven't been able to find anything indicating either way.

2) How is the voice quality on the Pre 2? My Droid Incredible sounds really muffled compared to the iPhone 4 I had. Also, is the earpiece volume reasonably loud?

3) Are there any outstanding issues that I should know about? I know the slider can be a point of concern, but outside of that it seems like people think the Pre 2 is a stable, if unexceptional device.

Sorry for the ridiculously long post; I guess I had a bit more to say than I thought I did. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.
    1/ i don't know

2/seems correct to me, on par with my brother 3gs

3/build quality is fine, greatly improved from my pre plus.

Still, if i were you, i would wait for the pre3... But the pre2 is truly an amazing device for a everyday use -- fast (maybe not as much as the iphone4, but truly better than android devices clocked at 1gz), small, and just type is astonishing!

Oh and, welcome to webOS!
    Developer of iCopter 2.2 for webOS.

If you have any remark, complain or feature request, let me know :
    iCopter 2.1 Precentral thread
    not crazy at all, but i'd wait for Pre 3 if you can stand android til summer lol

as far as question #1, i have the SNES emulator on my Pre+ with 1.4.5 and it runs great. can't imagine it'd run any different on 2.x
  4.    #4  
    Admittedly, I know waiting for the Pre 3 is the responsible thing to do. That said, I'll have an annual upgrade shortly after the Pre 3 comes out (I signed on right before they killed the promotion), so if I'm feeling the urge to upgrade I'll probably be able to sell the Pre 2, get a Pre 3 with a contract renewal, and almost break even.

Thanks for the advice; keep it coming.
    Go for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by fierywater View Post
    Admittedly, I know waiting for the Pre 3 is the responsible thing to do. That said, I'll have an annual upgrade shortly after the Pre 3 comes out (I signed on right before they killed the promotion), so if I'm feeling the urge to upgrade I'll probably be able to sell the Pre 2, get a Pre 3 with a contract renewal, and almost break even.

Thanks for the advice; keep it coming.
    I'm laughing because I'm in the same exact boat and have the same exact plan as you.

I have a Droid right now. People here don't realize how messy and frustrating the Android OS is. I could write an essay describing my issues with Android and my Droid is pretty slow. I'm thinking of getting the Pre 2 because it has great specs and is a decent price, and my upgrade can be for Pre 3 or I can hold on to it and not rush into upgrading.

webOS is a great OS and has plenty of important apps. The Pre 2's performance and build quality seem solid. The only "issue" is it's lower res screen but seeing as how the screen size is smaller it balances out a bit.

I think I'll pull the trigger. Phones like Xperia Play and Droid Bionic are appealing but Android is just so frustrating. webOS users have a right to be upset with HP's strategy right now but I'm very confident they'll be successful once they begin the webOS push.

I say do it. I'm going to as well. I'm so sick of iOS, it's been the same simple thing forever. WP7 is too basic and Android is a disaster. webOS it is, and the Pre 2 is solid.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Good to hear I'm not the only one

I'm in the SAME boat.

I have an Incredible, and I've enjoyed it more than any phone I've had yet (there haven't been too many)

Android just feels like a MESS to me. Clunky. Disjointed.

I have a pre plus that I've used the last two days and despite the fact that it's not as quick, as nice a screen, etc - I love it!

That said I have a dev pre2 on the way. Being on Verizon I've been thinking I'd play with it.

Now though I'm wondering what I should do. I could try a comm board swap (been searching but can't find many specifics!!!)

I could also sell the Pre2 and the Pre+ and get a Verizon pre2

The best bet I know is to sell the Pre2, Pre+ and Incredible all this summer and get a Pre3 but I'm afraid all of the above phones will loose their value, and I also don't have a use for all three.

What a good problem to have? Why can't HP get these things out faster?!
    Yeah my main issue is HP's timing and the effect it will have on their devices vs the competition. While I don't think it's wise to announce the Pre 3 (which is spec'd for today) to go on sale in the summer when new innovations brought by some Android devices and the next iPhone will be unveiled, HP has said they have other devices in the pipeline and they've gotten a hell of a lot of feedback so I wouldn't mind waiting after summer to get the newest HP device.

The bottom line is webOS really is the best OS there is which is why so many people become so upset on these forums - they really care about it's success. I don't think the Pre 2 will find anything but niche success at best, but for people like us it may very well be the answer. It's very strange to ask people to sign a 2 year contract for a Pre 2. For techies who want an alternative, the retail price is doable.

The Pre 3 would have been a better answer had HP realized they should not take their sweet time but what can you do.

I believe you would be able to fetch a couple hundred for a Verizon Pre2 in the future, there will always be someone looking for a replacement to their device.
    the pre2 is good !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  10.    #10  
    Thanks guys, I think I'll go for it. Going to wait and see if Best Buy carries it since I have a bunch of gift certificates for them, but if not I'll still probably get one shortly after release.
    As long as the screen size is enough for you, and there aren't any apps you use now that aren't in the Palm App Catalog.

Other than that, you've got a good plan. And because you would be doing it off-contract, you can snag a Pre3 or other new hotness when Palm finally ships it...
    Pre 2 with webos 2.0 will rock your world.

Just type is so sweet!
    Pre 2 is an excellent phone. I own one I love it.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    As long as the screen size is enough for you, and there aren't any apps you use now that aren't in the Palm App Catalog.
    I've poked around a bit, but I'm honestly not a heavy app user (shocker, right?). Looking at my phone now, my top apps are TweetDeck, Google Reader, the YouVersion Bible, and Google Shopper. TweetDeck should be easy to replace (just need something to do Facebook and Twitter, preferably simultaneously), there's a few apps that do Google Reader, YouVersion has a webOS version, and I'm not sure about Google Shopper. Are there any barcode scanning shopping apps for webOS?

Quote Originally Posted by GMTesta View Post
    Pre 2 with webos 2.0 will rock your world.

Just type is so sweet!
    It looks it! Honestly, I'll just be happy to type on real keys again.