Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I say do NOT purchase a Pre2....

I think you should use the emulator for now. Because you will probably NOT get a hold of the SDK for a month or 2 from now.

I say once you get a hold of the NEW Enyo SDK then pull the trigger on physically having the phone. Don't buy it unless you have the SDK. And in a week or 2 from now we are hopefully going to have a lot more info.

I say wait untill you have the SDK in your hand.. otherwise your going to have spent money on something that is going to sit for a few weeks at least.. Use the emulator. I think Enyo will be great and in a year when there are actually users HP will use their marketing power to get a large user base.
    Quote Originally Posted by bob616 View Post
    Well I am going to pick up a Pre 2 and hopefully it is supported along side the Pre 3. Does the Pre 2 support apps that are written with Enyo or only Mojo?
    The Pre2 is supposed to support Enyo apps when/if it gets an update later this year.
    Yes, buy the Palm Pre 2 now and start developing - you'll be glad you did.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    So I didn't want to start a new thread, How is the homebrew scene on the Pre? And how about app piracy?

Is the Pre 2 Hackable?
    So I didn't want to start a new thread, How is the homebrew scene on the Pre? And how about app piracy?

Is the Pre 2 Hackable?
    homebrew scene is alive and kicking hp even donated a server recently to webos internals.

i personally never encountered or heard of app piracy, but that's maybe because i wasn't looking.

what exactly do you mean by hacking? rooting? jailbreaking? installing third party apps?

'hacking' is not required in any case, enabling developer mode is documented and easy.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Lots of anger over a phone...

Your examples are as follows:

i) Flash available in 2010
    this wasn't Palm. Flash is a product of Adobe, so if you want to blame a company for a 'broken promise', blame them not Palm.
    i
    Points one and two should be rolled into one. I have a Pre 2 and it does flash... Did so from the start. So once you get WebOS2 you get flash.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Is the Pre 2 Hackable?
    I'm a Pre 2 owner, and very pleased with it. However, I can't BUY apps - I don't live in a country where the Pre 2 has been launched officially, so all I can do is install demos. I can't actually pay for apps even if I wanted to. There is a way to spoof that, which I guess you could call piracy, however I would still not be able to "steal" pay-for apps that way, it just let's you install some of the apps that are "not available in your country", but still only the free/demo ones.

The phone is indeed hackable in some ways. But I've had enough of that. After years of fiddling, hacking, flashing my WinMo phones, I just want something that works. Ok, a little hacking maybe... But I want the basic features of the phone to be smooth and intuitive, and they are.

I had to "import" my Pre 2 from the UK, but even with these impediments I am happy I went ahead. Like you I had several discussions on this forum to find out if I should take the plunge...
    Get a Pre 2. I think it will be supported and get the same updates as the Veer & Pre 3 (as someone wrote above - after all, it's the "M" size in the lineup), and it's already out on the market. The Pre 3 is simply a bigger Pre 2 as far as I can tell, and personally I am much happier with the "pocketableness" of the Pre 2. I've been long annoyed with the lack of "reasonable sized" smart phones, and didn't jump on the Android / iPhone bandwagons partly because I don't want to answer the question "Is that a smartphone in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"...

Hope to see some cool apps from you soon!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    I say do NOT purchase a Pre2....

I think you should use the emulator for now. Because you will probably NOT get a hold of the SDK for a month or 2 from now.
    On the other hand, having a physical device really does let you get a feel for it. An emulator is an emulator. I haven't had the pleasure, but back in the Palm heydays I had and used emulators to test software before I installed it on my device, but it can never emulate how the device feels in your hand... Which I guess could be important if you're developing things that have a user interface.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12