Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What do you guys think? The Pre2 will absolutely continue to receive updates until at least the Pre3 because developers are using the Pre2 as their base phone for webOS 2.0+ programming. That said, the moment the Pre3 launches, do you think HP will yank all support for the webOS enhancements from the Pre2?

I believe the Pre2 is basically a "developer" phone with some general use customers who will be owning it as well. Pulling the plug on the Pre2 after developers have invested their money into it would seem to be a major screw up again, but I'm not sure.

Assuming the Pre2 support isn't immediately ditched, I'd have no problems getting $250+ for a Pre2 on ebay at Pre3 launch, but if the Pre2 gets ditched like HP did to the Pre and Pre+ owners, the Pre2 won't sell for more than $100 I don't think.

Thoughts?
    I don't think the Pre 2 will get dumped with release of the Pre 3... The Pre 2 has better hardware than the Veer. The only thing the Pre 2 lacks is an autofocus camera and a compass.

Edit: the more I think of it.... S, M, L could apply to phones only... S (Veer), M (Pre 2), L (Pre 3)
    The Pre 2 isn't going anywhere soon. It is in the same class as the Veer and Pre 3. It wouldn't launch on Verizon if they were going to dump it in 6 months. It will most certainly get everything the Veer gets. The Pre 3 however will have some functionality that neither the Veer or Pre 2 will be able to handle I suspect. The touch to share feature is what I am thinking of specifically.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Can't assume much stickiness as the Pre 3 will be the flagship and Verizon also won't be much invested in the Pre 2, especially if sales are low, which would be a fair assumption.

I would assume support through 2011 for the Pre 2, simply because it may take the Pre 3 until beginning of Sept to arrive.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    The Pre 2 isn't going anywhere soon. It is in the same class as the Veer and Pre 3. It wouldn't launch on Verizon if they were going to dump it in 6 months. It will most certainly get everything the Veer gets. The Pre 3 however will have some functionality that neither the Veer or Pre 2 will be able to handle I suspect. The touch to share feature is what I am thinking of specifically.
    Thinking about this though, they said the touch to share just uses bluetooth and the inductive charging back as far as i know. So in theory, the pre2 could very well support it.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the reassurances. I think I'm just about ready to pre-order the Pre2. I'll get the Pre3 when it comes out.
    I'm thinking of getting a Vz Pre2 as well and then either getting a Pre 3 or holding on to the Pre2 until the next wave of HP phones. I don't see HP abandoning it since it's powerful - the older phones are simply outdated now.

Not sure what I want to do though.
    The Pre 2 will at minimum stay alive on CDMA networks as a lower cost option since the Veer will be a GSM only phones.
    Just for more reassurance, i found this in the interview on engadget...

Engadget: And what OS version is the TouchPad running?
    Jon: It's webOS 3.0.
    Engadget: What about the Pre 3?
    Jon: We'll issue an OTA update at some point so it'll get 3.0.
    Engadget: What about the older devices?
    Jon: Not the older devices. We wanted to add lots of cool new capabilities, and frankly the older products aren't powerful enough.
    Engadget: Pre 2?
    Jon: Pre 2 is okay.
    Engadget: So the original devices... they're not getting an update?
    Jon: No. But we're going to do something special for those people.
    Palm rep: We want to support our existing customer base.
    Jon: We'll do something. The older devices simply don't have the horsepower.

I think the pre2 is definitely going to be around for a while...
  10.    #10  
    I trust absolutely NOTHING from HP/Palm. They just can't keep from lying to us. Seriously? They're talking about webOS 3.x+ on the Pre3 now? I'm backing off the Pre2 in a big way. It's not worth the risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    I trust absolutely NOTHING from HP/Palm. They just can't keep from lying to us. Seriously? They're talking about webOS 3.x+ on the Pre3 now? I'm backing off the Pre2 in a big way. It's not worth the risk.
    I wouldn't call it a risk, but a choice is a choice
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    I wouldn't call it a risk, but a choice is a choice
    If the Pre2 doesn't support the same OS as the Pre3, it will be a brick to many people looking at getting a webOS device when the Pre3 launches.

The risk is selling my Pre2 for $250-300 vs selling it for $100 when I get my Pre3. Since I'm already going to eat a lot of extra cost to have the Pre2 in the first place, that's a pretty sizable risk IMHO.
    I'm betting the Pre 2 is going to be part of HP's 'making things right', so I'd doubt that it'll be abandoned entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm betting the Pre 2 is going to be part of HP's 'making things right', so I'd doubt that it'll be abandoned entirely.
    i was thinking the same thing, especially given the launch on big v in the coming days...
    go for it! My Pre2 on vzw is on the way!
  16.    #16  
    HP/Palm has lied to us every chance they get, but no, this time it'll be different. LOL. Even when it came to making a statement that they were going to make things right they couldn't give any specifics. Just another "trust us" statement.

I swear, how many times are you going to try to kick the football, Charlie Brown?
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    HP/Palm has lied to us every chance they get, but no, this time it'll be different. LOL. Even when it came to making a statement that they were going to make things right they couldn't give any specifics. Just another "trust us" statement.

I swear, how many times are you going to try to kick the football, Charlie Brown?
    Every chance they get? Don't you think that's a bit of an exaggeration? It's only a lie if they didn't believe it when they promised 2.x on the first generation. I think they really did believe it. I think they really did try to make it work. They did break a promise, but frankly, if 2.x doesn't run well on my Pre, then I'd rather have 1.4.5. After all, stacks are pretty useless if you can only open 4-5 cards anyway.

I do wish they had had the professionalism not to over-promise in the first place. I think they lack a bit of maturity in the software development realm. But hopefully HP will bring this to them and they'll be firing on all cylinders soon.

Now if I could only get an announcement about new hardware on Sprint, I'd be okay with all of it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    The Pre 2 isn't going anywhere soon.
    I agree.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I agree.

ET
    +1
    The Pre2 is part of their line up of a phone to fit all. What it really is: S, M, L, XL
    Veer, Pre2, Pre3, TouchPad
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Personally, I don't think the Pre 2 is in any future plans of HP. The 'S' = Veer, 'M' = Pre 3 and 'L' = 'TouchPad'. That in itself is a good clue of where the Pre 2 stands. In any case the Pre 2 can barely run webOS 2.0.1 properly, let alone a more demanding webOS 3.xx.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast