Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It's my understanding that the pre 2 won't have the touch to share compatibility with the tablet. And we have no idea if the pre 2 will be upgradeable to whatever version of webos will be on the pre 3.

The pre 2 seems to be a dead end device for those of us that are webos enthusiasts, with a fate similar to our current pre's. It is a good phone with good specs for those that don't upgrade every 1-2 years and those not caring about the latest and greatest.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I feel I might be the only one that cares anymore, but since I still have 2 important programs that have no equal in WebOS that I must run through Classic, I don't plan to get the Pre2 when I have my next upgrade in May, and don't think that the Pre3 will help my needs either. Though I enjoy greatly WebOS and my Pre+, especially the benefits of UberCalendar, without support of my PalmOS apps, I fear as my upgrade time comes, I might have to look more seriously to another platform. Just saying this kind of bums me out.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    @TimBoch

Just wondering, what are the two programs you mentioned needing to run in Classic?
    The Pre2 is supposed to get an OTA update to webOS 2.1 starting today, I think I read. That's the for the unlocked versions since Verizon's Pre2 hasn't launched, but I struggle to believe that HP will have absolutely nothing to show people in the coming months while we wait for the Pre3 to arrive. What I mean is that abandoning the Pre2 prior to the Pre3 release seems pretty crazy.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I can't believe it myself but I think there's a good chance I could end up switching to Verizon for the Pre2. I got my Pre on launch day and would love to stay on Sprint but I am in need of a new phone soon and I have no idea if the Pre3 is coming to Sprint or not. I am fairly certain that it will go to Verizon though so I'm thinking buy a Pre2 now ($99 now is less than I was expecting to pay for the new Pre if HP actually had their stuff together) saving up for the TouchPad when it gets released, and then getting a Pre3 after it has gone through its inevitable growing pains. My fear is that the Pre3 will get announced on Sprint the same day I sign up for Verizon.
    I'm using the Pre 2 unlocked and I love it. I've had my Pre since launch day and I just can't take the cracks anymore, or the returns. I'm hoping that when it launches on Verizon I can get the Pre 2 working on Sprint. HP has the no interest/payments for 6 months so it's a little easier to pay off.

I emailed HP to see if it would be compatible with text/phone forwarding to the TouchPad and I'm waiting to hear back.

Edit: Interestingly enough, when I selected the Pre 2 on the Palm chat page it listed carriers as 'Rogers, T-Mobile, other'
    I am going to buy one, I don't want to wait for the Pre 3 to come to Verizon, I was looking forward to most of the new features of webOS 2.0.
    When I got my Pre 2 Januarys ago (13 months), I got it with no expectations on OS upgrades....I didn't know anything about such things prior to owning the Pre. Right now Pre 2 is only available on Rogers. I am not eligible for an upgrade until April 20, which isn't all that far away from these expected summer release dates, and I can probably hold out until then and see what sort of price ranges the new phones are. 2 years left on my current contract, I can't afford to buy a phone outright without some sort of contract attatched. Here's to hoping webOS comes back to Bell. I don't care, either the 2 or 3. What I really, really need is that glass screen
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I've been eligible to upgrade from my clamshell "feature" phone since November, but have been holding off to see where HP was going with Palm. I'm disappointed the new shiny won't be available immediately, but I've never been one to <i>need</i> the latest hardware.

Besides, if I get new device envy, I can always get a TouchPad as well. If the 7" comes out this year, it goes straight to the top of my Christmas list.
    I'm also leaning towards getting a Pre 2. Few reasons:

1) It's time to replace my 4-yr old Treo. (Actually, I'm way overdue for a new phone. I'll miss my Treo, though. )

2) I'm paying for 2 phones on VZW and 1 on ATT. I want to move completely to ATT cuz it's cheaper to have all phones on 1 carrier. (I moved wife and daughter to VZW last fall and was about to get the Pre+ for me, but then heard that the Pre 2 was on the way.)

3) I want to get my phone on VZW also cuz I get practically no signal at work on ATT.

4) I'm cheap and I'm poor. (Yeah, I know. Bad combination.) I'm thinking the Pre 3 will cost quite a bit more than the Pre 2, and the Pre 2 will do everything I need.

5) I typically don't like to buy the first version of something. True, the Pre 3 is an improved Pre 2, but it's still new. If I get the Pre 2 now, I'll upgrade to a Pre 3+ later.
    Sharp YO-370 -> HP 200LX -> Palm m125 -> Palm Treo 680 -> Pre 2

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein
    I purchased mine on HP's website yesterday. Who knows when the Pre3 will launch on Verizon's network. Personally, I think it maybe 6 months or longer but who knows. Now that HP actually is done with the purchase of Palm things may get done a lot faster but who knows. I'm not gonna take that chance. I was able to play with a Pre 2 and to be honest it's hecca fast and responsive. I love the Pre form factor. If the Pre3 comes out sooner. I'll buy it off contract and give my pre 2 to my wife or one of my employees.

I know the Pre 3 will be out soon. How soon, I don't know. Releasing that phone in the summer is a mistake. It should have been released at CES back in January.

WebOS is the most incredible mobile OS.

Things will only get better from here on out. It takes 6 months for a company purchase to complete. Palm is now HP. I hope and pray product will now move much faster. HP has deep pockets and the think beyond conference was just the beginning.

I'm excited... WebOS will grow and develop into something much bigger than anyone of us can imagine.

I don't like the Android OS and I HATE Apple... GO HP and
    long live WebOS
    Last edited by PDAGeek; 02/12/2011 at 02:35 AM.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    I do not think I would even consider purchasing a Pre 2 on Verizon until it is verified that Verizon has not crippled the GPS as they did on the Pre+.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I have an airline logbook that I synch with a desktop logbook and also use Pocket Quicken. I have been using Checkbook beta for a few months and find it a possible alternative if it might ever be able to synch with my desktop Quicken.
    There are also other PalmOS programs that I still use occasionally since I have had them for over 10 years and there is no way to synch this data into the WebOS programs I have been slowly finding that do some of the same things.

Thanks for you interest and I hope that there are options in the future. I really have enjoyed WebOS.

Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    @TimBoch

Just wondering, what are the two programs you mentioned needing to run in Classic?
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I have thought long and hard about the past weeks news and have come to a conclusion. I have a Pre Plus and was pretty upset about no 2.0....But think for a second about these 3 past devices. the build quality on these devices are way below HP's standards my guess is they want these devices out of circulation like yesterday! but in the mean time customers need a phone on which to build a base. Which would you have new customers going hands-on WebOS the Pre Plus or Pre 2? We all know the OS is solid but the physical experience(build quality) was sub standard battery life and all. The Pre 2 provides a stable build quality with a great OS. That said I may get a Pre 2 so when some one asks about WebOS I'm not showing them a hand full of problems.
    DaVince >IIIxe > Visor Platinum+visorphone > Clie-SJ33 > Tungsten T3>Palm TX>LifeDrive(Flash)>Treo 650>Treo 700p>PalmPrePlus2.1
    i went to the verizo store this morning to ask about the Pre 2, and the girl looked at me like i had 3 heads. They had 0 palm/hp phones or accessories in the store.

for what it's worth, maybe they just didn't think Eugene ws a big enough market. i have a pixi plus, and the response time on some things is offensive. i dare not crank up the speed for fear that the battery will die in less than the 7 hours i get with it as is.

my new every 2 (last go-round for this one, eh?) will come up in july. after i got screwed by verizon/rim with the blackberry tour and now the pixi... i think i will be waiting a while to pick up anything this time.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I decided to go ahead and order a Pre2 today. I love my plus, but I have to admit I'm tired of the s and h keys not working well, and I had the upgrade. I imagine I'll go to the Pre3 towards the end of the year, hopefully once any bugs are worked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by otterpop View Post
    i went to the verizo store this morning to ask about the Pre 2, and the girl looked at me like i had 3 heads. They had 0 palm/hp phones or accessories in the store.
    Right now it is only available as a pre-order from HP. It is supposed to be available from VZW on the 17th. I wouldn't be surprized if VZW only sells it on line rather than spending a bunch of money on training and inventory for the Pre2 when they are focused on the iPhone.
    vzw training for any webos devices? They've always given that 3 head look with webos.

ah hahahahaha
    I went ahead and placed a pre-order. But I have until the 17th to change my mind. I'm not very excited about giving up a free 5GB MHS for a $20 2GB MHS...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdmc View Post
    I decided to go ahead and order a Pre2 today. I love my plus, but I have to admit I'm tired of the s and h keys not working well, and I had the upgrade. I imagine I'll g
    o to the Pre3 towards the end of the year, hopefully once any bugs are worked out.
    my letter issue resolved after I got my first refurb. The keyboard on this device is awesome.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast