View Poll Results: Free Hotspot on Pre 2 on VZW?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 37.50%
  • No

5 62.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Any guesses anyone? It would be dumb on their part to make it free for a new device while everyone else on the network has to pay for the Iphone and Droids to tether.
    Since earlier this week it was reported that unlocked phones could not be activated and gain this (pixi plus) I suspect that they no longer have any incentive for this plan benefit. I think the only reason it was offered was to lure buyers to an unpopular phone.

It worked for me...

But I like my phone so jokes on no one...
    As stated above, it is the kind of feature tacked onto phones that will not sell otherwise. Why would Verizon even carry a phone they don't believe will sell? If the Pre 2 ends up clogging the stockroom, they will do something like that to clear inventory.

Verizon makes their money from add-on plans. And now, they have phones people are willing to pay full price without bogof deals. They have no incentive at launch to offer anyone free hotspot.
    All depends on the agreement between HPalm and Verizon.
    I have the feature now (free) and barely use it. I believe the original price was around $50 for mobile hotspot on the the Palm Pre+. Isn't the one for iPhone only $20 extra. I would expect Version to start charging $20 to all new customer of the Palm Pre 2 and then make it free if the product doesn't sell for a while... and then make it buy one get one free

Wait... didn't they do that for the Pre+/Pixi?
  6.    #6  
    Wow surprising they kept it free for a new product. I guess they expect this phone to sell just as bad as the Pre Plus did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Since earlier this week it was reported that unlocked phones could not be activated and gain this (pixi plus) I suspect that they no longer have any incentive for this plan benefit. I think the only reason it was offered was to lure buyers to an unpopular phone.

It worked for me...

But I like my phone so jokes on no one...

I just activated a Pixi Plus purchased third party with no contract on one of our lines this week and they gave it the MHS for free without even asking us if we wanted it on there.

Your report sources must be off.
    I guess the thinking is that Mobile Hotspot on a Pre2 will cost money for a new account. However, the big question, I haven't seen answered, is will the MHS still be free if you just upgrade from a Pre+ to a Pre2?
    I called Verizon 2 days ago and asked this. The rep couldn't find any indication in their system that it would be free, so she said it probably wouldn't be.

The pre-order page at HP still shows the mhs as being free:

http://www.wirelesscentralstore.com/eCommerce/SpecialOffer.aspx?cid=36057_a07a2cddcc0a4c0b9fd0a99785a8bb7b

Granted, this is for a third-party contract and not actually a contract with Verizon directly.
    Last edited by katefields; 02/16/2011 at 07:35 AM.
    It's gonna suck if they don't keep it free..

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    From the HP website with the Palm Pre 2 for Verizon specs:

Support Up To 5 WiFi-enabled Devices (3G Mobile Hotspot Service Included Free)
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I spoke with several Verizon folks this morning while trying to order a Pre 2. They all told me the same thing - no more free Mobile Hotspot. Very disappointed. Will be sticking with the Pre+ for now...

Wayles
    When you attempt to fill out the pre-order on HP's site it gives you the 3G mobile hotspot choices of:
    3G Mobile Hotspot 2GB $20.00
    None $0.00
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    Granted, this is for a third-party contract and not actually a contract with Verizon directly.
    The contract is still serviced through Verizon; it's just the device sale that goes through a third-party.

The weird part here is that the phone details clearly state include mobile hotspot, but when you fill out the plan details, it still offers the $20 Verizon hotspot plan. It could just be that their checkout system doesn't differentiate between phones, or maybe the free hotspot was removed and the description was never updated.

I should know in a couple days. Simplexity just notified me my Pre 2 is ready to ship.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Nope, it's not free. A few days ago, it WAS listed as $0, but now it shows $20/month.

Major disappointment. I was considering an upgrade to Pre2...but not now.

Last edited by mapenn; 02/17/2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: had a bad image link.
    FreeTether, people!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    How does FreeTether compare to Mobile Hotspot?
    In many ways FreeTether has more features than Mobile Hotspot since it supports USB and Bluetooth tethering.
    However that part of that article is sourced from hearsay from sales agents...

Our conversations with multiple sales reps (just to make sure)...
    Obviously from this latest info from customers this isn't as clearcut as perhaps we'd like to see.
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 02/17/2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: typo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast