View Poll Results: Free Hotspot on Pre 2 on VZW?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 37.50%
  • No

5 62.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I got my Pre 2 this morning and I have called Verizon around 5 times asking about mobile hotspot and I get the same answer....Sure $20.00 for 2GB.

When I pre-ordered the phone from HP, mobile hotspot was said to be included for free.
    FWIW, I just walked through the steps to upgrade to a Pre2 on VZW's website. It told me my existing mobile hotspot service would be removed because it wasn't available for the Pre2. I'm assuming it wanted to remove it because it was $0.
    The free hotspot still exists on verizon for Pixi as well. I activated my droid 2 (which killed my free hotspot) and then when I re-activated the pixi, the 3g hotspot was added back again at 0 cost. When I went back to droid 2, it was of course gone again.

Some folks were saying that the program was dead but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Just thought I'd share my phone call conversation with Verizon customer service just now (don't expect much from reading it):

(not in exact words)
    Me: As you know, I currently have free mobile hotspot with my Pre Plus... does the Pre 2 also come with free mobile hotspot?

Rep: Yes

Me: You sure?

Rep: Hm. Let me check.

<10 minutes later>

Rep: Maybe. Can't find a definite answer for you.

Sooo... I think the best option is to wait till people start receiving their VZW Pre 2s, and see if Mobile Hotspot is listed as a feature on their account and if they're being charged for it. Anyone?
    2G iPhone -> BB 8530 -> Pre Plus
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    However that part of that article is sourced from hearsay from sales agents...

Obviously from this latest info from customers this isn't as clearcut as perhaps we'd like to see.
    Please note that this story was updated on the front page of Precentral and now indicates that Mobile Hot Spot (service) is NOT free for Pre2 users and furthermore it confirms that web orders will not allow the addition of mobile hot spot (not for free and for fee).

http://www.precentral.net/verizon-pr...spot-still-tow
    On my receipt it says Mobile Hotspot free ..
    Possessed By Thine Dreams...
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Just occurred to me..

Perhaps MHS is not free for new customers/customers renewing contract but free for those who got the Pre/Pixi and purchased the Pre 2 off-contract and just did an ESN swap? Either way I'll find out for sure next week when I ESN swap to a Pre 2.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    It's free for me so far. There isn't a single trace of mobile hotspot on my bill. I bought the phone off contract over the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    I called Verizon 2 days ago and asked this. The rep couldn't find any indication in their system that it would be free, so she said it probably wouldn't be.

The pre-order page at HP still shows the mhs as being free:

Palm Pre 2 for Verizon Wireless - HP Wireless Central powered by Simplexity

Granted, this is for a third-party contract and not actually a contract with Verizon directly.
    Well, it was not only listed free, per above, it was in the Verizon contract I signed when ordering the phone! So, I don't think VZ can get out of that! Besides, I think HP did this to promote the Pre 2 and help sell units and not having to rely on VZ reps to sell them ...
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    FWIW, I just walked through the steps to upgrade to a Pre2 on VZW's website. It told me my existing mobile hotspot service would be removed because it wasn't available for the Pre2. I'm assuming it wanted to remove it because it was $0.
    Apparently, to get the free MHS for Pre 2 you must purchase the Pre through the HP website, which is actually Simplexity, a third-party reseller. HP must have negotiated this. It is not free on the VZ website.

This seems to be consistent with all the reports I have read so far ...
    it isn't free on the Pre2.

$20 for 2gb
    Quote Originally Posted by vaxick View Post
    It's free for me so far. There isn't a single trace of mobile hotspot on my bill. I bought the phone off contract over the phone.
    have you started up MHS and connected a PC? You will be sent to a captive portal instructing you on how to buy it. I'll bet you it won't work until you are paying for it.
    A year ago I didn't know Android from Palm etc., etc. What got me interested in Palm was the Free 5 Gig. MHS deal on Verizon with the Pre Plus. I am still a neophyte and continue to learn.
    On the Free USE of MHS on Verizon: I think that sometimes in the discussions people are not talking about the same thing. MHS is a feature of the phone and I suppose that you could call it free because it comes on the phone. However it is my understanding that to USE that feature there will be a fee applied as Cantaffordit suggests.
    Sort of like having a satellite radio physically installed in your car. It's there but if you want to use it, your going to be charged a fee. Visits to at least three Verizon stores and asking many questions have led me to this conclusion.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12