Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I care, but it's not on Sprint and I'm not ready to carrier hop just to get the new Pre model. If this was June 2010 maybe, but with Feb 9, being just days away and my families entire contract expiring in July, I can wait.

But here's where I may differ from everyone else. My current Pre is still working. I don't have MyBible, audible or a word document editor available on my current Pre. I also don't have a good replacement for Diet and Exercise assistant. I do have SplashID, Agenda, pReader, DrPodder, AutoCorrectEdit, Notes, and a few other apps that are pretty nifty. I think I'll sit back and see what apps are available on the new OS. Currently, I can use Classic for missing apps. That will be going out the Window soon. If I lose too much, I may have to go back to a Treo or Centro to wait for something that provides the apps I need.
    i DO care.

i dont think i am alone here when not going down on the "old and failing" pre phones.

from my point of view all the webos phones especially the pre were a 100% success. i dont say there are no issues but hell the pre is what was missing for me and a lot of people. the form factor and everything is just perfect.

hardware upgrade is a nice to have. and surely i ll need one in the near future. but if palm will consider the pre concept including its form factor as fail and replace it by something more "mainstream mini fullscreen tablet with earpiece" (like iphone or galaxy -- not saying those are bad or fails either) then i dont want to have it.

i really want a successor to my pre(-). it will be one that we will get to know on wednesday. but if palm stoppes producing pre sized vertical qwerty sliders with webos i ll get myself a pre 2 or a plus as a personal up.

just because a phone sold badly for reasons other than the phone itself (which is absolutely the case with the pre) the phone and its name shouldnt be considered a bad future omen.

i am surprised that so many people here want to bury the past just because something buzzy prepares to show up not even knowing what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Is there anyone out there who even wants the Pre 2 anymore? By all accounts it will be rendered obsolete by HP/Palm's own hardware next week. I was dying for this phone last fall, but wouldn't touch it now (unless I got for free with no contract).
    I didn't really care for it when it was announce. I was hoping for a more, Dell Venue pro style build and a front facing camera. All they did was fix the Pre's glaring weaknesses; tweaks instead of major improvements.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post

If people are willing to spend money on those, why wouldn't they be willing to spend money on a Pre 2?
    If you are going to price it as a feature phone then sure people will pick it up but at the same price as current smartphones? I doubt there is much interest. Regards of how we got here, I think we will never see a Pre 3 as the name now has too much negative baggage attached to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    So by that description, are you saying all non-smartphones are rendered obsolete and nobody wants them anymore?

I'd take one, in fact didn't they say that it was a pretty comparable phone by today's standards, just a few months behind or something to that effect? Just about every review I've read from people posting on here, pretty much all good comments, blazingly fast, great display, more memory, nice feel, nice glass, etc, etc. Doesn't sound like that bad of a phone to me.

People still buy these types of phones:

If people are willing to spend money on those, why wouldn't they be willing to spend money on a Pre 2?
    Your post makes me think that hp should put out a webos flip phone as one of MANY form factors. I think that would be the real introductory smartphone
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I didn't really care for it when it was announce. I was hoping for a more, Dell Venue pro style build and a front facing camera. All they did was fix the Pre's glaring weaknesses; tweaks instead of major improvements.
    There will be those that say that that is all each new iphone is too, but the pre is too far behind for hp to settle for incramental updates anymore. I guess thats y theyr having their own event. Better b good.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    It is what it is. When HP bought Palm they got a where house full of Pre 2s.
    That's odd. I thought there were differences in the unlocked developer version and the one sold for SFR, hence HP taking over a month after the SFR launch to sell it to developers. Also, Verizon is CDMA, so I highly doubt HP got enough of a tentative deal to be able to put "Coming Soon" on their website with a warehouse full of GSM Palm Pre 2 phones.

The "developer device" retcon just doesn't hold up, either, when they sold it to a carrier first, announced Verizon shortly thereafter, and Rogers after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    If you are going to price it as a feature phone then sure people will pick it up but at the same price as current smartphones? I doubt there is much interest. Regards of how we got here, I think we will never see a Pre 3 as the name now has too much negative baggage attached to it.
    I'm not sure I totally agree with that. There are a lot of people out there who
    a) do NOT want to sign a 3 year contract, therefore if they want a new phone, they go and buy one.
    b) those same people don't want to spend more than a couple hundred dollars, at the most, for their phone
    c) they also are not interested in spending $65/month for data alone.

Now I know that Roger's Wireless, in Canada, is offering the Pre2 for $29 and change with a 3 year contract. Let's just say they have the next best thing that's going to make this phone obsolete. So, what do they do with all the Pre2's? Apparantly nobody wants them(they're obsolete). They need to regain some of their money back and if they have to sell them at 1/2 cost just to get some money recovered, so be it. (Look at the Pixi, getting sold for $50 no contract, for example, I'm sure it cost more than $50 to make)

I think one of the biggest drawbacks that people out there without smartphones see, is month to month cost. That's why there's a huge percentage of people with feature phones. I was told by a Bell rep, when I was comparing my plan to those in the USA, that I was comparing apples(the edible, not computer kind) and oranges. I use my phone moderately, I have 350 daytime, all incoming free, 5 numbers in or out free, 1GB data(minimum available, they said I only used 18MB last month, I used way more), and when I tried to narrow my bill to pay less/month, they said I was managing my phone as well as I could be doing, $120/month.

A lot of people are not interested in that pricetag, including me, but I'll suffer though it
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    Your post makes me think that hp should put out a webos flip phone as one of MANY form factors. I think that would be the real introductory smartphone
    That's been suggested and from what I understand, the BB version isn't selling all that great. Could it be that most people who wanted a smartphone, now have one, and the surge of people rushing out to go get one is slowing down. It isn't a bad idea, imo, not one I'm interested in though.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    Hp needs to drop this pre line already
    Balderdash! Poppycock! Who let you in?
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

From everything I read before I received the Pre 2 I thought that it was not that much better than the Pre plus, being just a "Spec bump" just because the Pre plus can be overclocked to 1GHz. Having the Pre Plus right now as my everyday phone and the Pre 2 as well I can say there is absolutely no comparison. Using the Pre 2 compared to the Pre Plus is like using a Pre plus overclocked to 1Ghz compared to a sprint Pre at 500Mhz. The pre 2 is so fast. There is no wait for anything except for a webpage to load.
  12.    #32  
    It just seems like the Pre 2 will be rendered rather meaningless next week. Even if it is a nice phone, why would you buy a Pre 2 when far better WebOS stuff will coming along within a matter of weeks (if we are to believe Leo)? This is why I felt HP/Palm needed to try and get it on a carrier asap last fall. But, I guess in hindsight they didn't really care about selling this phone. Seems like something they had sitting around and thought they would see what they could get for it...kind of like what I do with stuff sitting in my closet that I put on Ebay to see if anyone will actually buy it.
  13.    #33  
    Well, I suppose I have to eat my words:

Verizon Palm Pre 2 to launch February 17th for $100 on contract | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

According to this, no hot new smartphones will be announced next week.

Now I want a Pre 2.....
    I wonder if they told Verizon it was a developer device that they just had sitting around in a warehouse.....
    Glad to see it finally launching although I think $100 on contract is a smidge too high. Maybe $50 would be better especially up against some of the soon-to-be-deeply-discounted Droid phones that VZ is going to try to unload when they throw their weight behind iPhone.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    i think free on contract is the way to go bc you still need the expensive full-web contract (unlike many featurephones), so most will say hey its only 50 or 100 bux more for nicer phone
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    its a good entry level smartphone.
    I have 8 more months left on my Pre Plus before my upgrade. I don't feel the Pre 2 would be enough of a hardware upgrade to bother with either. Especially with 2.0 coming to the original Pre and Pre Plus. I predict this thing will be free in a month once HP announces even better devices.
    In all of my years in the business world, I have never seen such poor marketing & business decision as I have seen come from Palm in the last two years.

This phone is already a failure before it even launches, because it is launching right after a superior product.

Iphone 4 will outsell the Pre 2 10 to 1.

If it had come out in November a completely different story.
    It's official... Pre 2 on Verizon will be released on the 17th.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast