1.    #1  
    I heard that if you pay full price for a phone, you can get service without a contract (or more importantly, without a deposit).

What about those of us who purchase the unlocked Pre 2 online? Are there any compatible carriers who will offer service without a deposit if you don't buy a phone from them?

My credit isn't the greatest so I would most likely need to pay the highest deposit on any carrier. It seems t-mobile has a FlexPay service which is basically like prepaid, though I'm not sure if you need to buy a phone with it or if it's compatible with the pre 2. Does AT&T do this too?

I'll go check out some places tomorrow but I figured I'd post this thread for anyone else wondering (since if you pay full price for a phone, it's only logical that you don't pay a deposit or sign a contract as well).
    I don't know anything about about a deposit - never paid one - but I switched to att last month (with a pre 2) without a contract. Given the choice tmo is the way to go, unfortunately no 3g for the pre 2.
  3.    #3  
    Do you know if they did a credit check though?

I don't think I can go back to tmobile anyway since I never paid my early termination fee (though it's worth a try). Also how important is 3G anyway? I know this is the Pre 2, but from my experience with the Palm Pre, the bandwidth speed is capped anyway and the hack didn't seem to fix it.
    Not to judge, but your credit is more important.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    You can look at pre-paid options. AT&T has prepaid options with data and so does T-Mobile. Depending on how you use your phone, it can often be CHEAPER than getting a contract. I highly recommend that route.
    The MVNO carriers don't do credit checks. Pay by the month. Some have data others do not.
    Tracfone, Net10, Just talk, I think there are several more
    I saw an ad for Net10 that I think had voice,text and data.
    There are a couple of threads on the forum about these companies.
    Search around.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
    I just activated my Pre 2 on ATT PAY AS YOU GO. Since the Pre 2 isn't in their system I was able to add data (rep said they don't do it for smartphones). I'm paying $2 any day I use voice or text and get unlimited for that day. For $20 I got 100 mb of data which is the most for pre-paid. I think it's a good deal as it's holding me over until the 9th.
    How are you surviving with only 100mb of data? I've heard within these forums that at least 1024mb was preferred. Currently I have a Treō Pro, and it survives fine with 150mb, but I just ordered a PrPrPr&#$275$; $2$ $and$ $I$ $think$ $I$ $may$ $have$ $to$ $move$ $away$ $from$ $pre$ $paid$.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Not to judge, but your credit is more important.
    What do you mean? That I should be paying off my credit instead of getting a cell phone? I would agree except to even think of paying off my credit, I need a better job which is practically impossible without a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
    The MVNO carriers don't do credit checks. Pay by the month. Some have data others do not.
    Tracfone, Net10, Just talk, I think there are several more
    I saw an ad for Net10 that I think had voice,text and data.
    There are a couple of threads on the forum about these companies.
    Search around.
    Tracfone has horrible customer service from what I hear, and they only work with their own phones. Plus I'm not sure how they work with data. I think Net10 is like the same too.

Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I just activated my Pre 2 on ATT PAY AS YOU GO. Since the Pre 2 isn't in their system I was able to add data (rep said they don't do it for smartphones). I'm paying $2 any day I use voice or text and get unlimited for that day. For $20 I got 100 mb of data which is the most for pre-paid. I think it's a good deal as it's holding me over until the 9th.
    So $80+ a month pretty much? I can go without youtube and lots of internet browsing, but I do need google maps (and I prefer the satellite view) which would probably eat 100 mb like it's nothing.

I slept in waaaay too late today so I couldn't go anywhere. I used to work for AT&T customer service though and there definitely was a lot of things we could do for the customer (like credits of $250 and 1000 rollover minutes at our own discretion) so I'll definitely hit them up tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    How are you surviving with only 100mb of data? I've heard within these forums that at least 1024mb was preferred. Currently I have a Treō Pro, and it survives fine with 150mb, but I just ordered a PrPrPr&#$275$; $2$ $and$ $I$ $think$ $I$ $may$ $have$ $to$ $move$ $away$ $from$ $pre$ $paid$.
    so far it hasnt been too bad. Ive got wifi at work and at home so that helps. I've also been using feeder and spare time so before leaving work I update all articles I want to read and then read them on spare time which helps save the data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Ecstasy View Post
    Do you know if they did a credit check though?

I don't think I can go back to tmobile anyway since I never paid my early termination fee (though it's worth a try). Also how important is 3G anyway? I know this is the Pre 2, but from my experience with the Palm Pre, the bandwidth speed is capped anyway and the hack didn't seem to fix it.
    -off topic...kinda- My credit was terrible. I got it back to what is considered "fair" within 4 months. I got a card by a bank called Premier Bank. It was a Premier credit card. It had fees out the wazoo but it really fixed my credit.
  12.    #12  
    Well, my credit would be fine if I pay my bank and paypal the $1500+ I owe them. I maxed out my paypal buyer's credit and never paid it off.

As it stands right now, my credit is so horrible I can't even get a secured credit card... yeah, that bad. lol.